Hull paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like Awlgrip products. It is hard and will last a long, long, time.

As has been mentioned, repairs have to be done in panels, or if the hull is planked, you can just tape a blank.

Kind of a no brainer if your doing a solid color. Metallics and such require a really good yard.

As a painter I can spot a roll and tip job from a mile off. If your going with pros check their work, really close, touch it. Look around railings, vents, etc. I just looked at a mid 70s Hatteras cruiser that had been restored. Workmanship was incredible. You had to look very hard to find a tape line. Probably a $50k paint job on a 40 something boat.

Thanks, Steve! I read the article. Plan to purchase some Awlgrip for brush on test application on my const trucks. May be an affordable way to take a good running older work truck and make it look good also. :D

I've seen painters work miracles with tipping and rolling.

I really like Awlgrip products. It is hard and will last a long, long, time.

As has been mentioned, repairs have to be done in panels, or if the hull is planked, you can just tape a blank.

Kind of a no brainer if your doing a solid color. Metallics and such require a really good yard.

As a painter I can spot a roll and tip job from a mile off. If your going with pros check their work, really close, touch it. Look around railings, vents, etc. I just looked at a mid 70s Hatteras cruiser that had been restored. Workmanship was incredible. You had to look very hard to find a tape line. Probably a $50k paint job on a 40 something boat.

Well said, the best, longest lasting paint jobs involve removal of most if not all hardware, making for a contiguous coating. Taping around hardware is faster, and cheaper, and as long as you know this is what you are getting that's OK, but it is not the same as hardware removal.

I've seen painters work miracles with tipping and rolling.

I saw a small boat whose wood hull had recently been rolled and tipped. Simply beautiful!

Will say though! I'm overjoyed that our 45 yr. old Tolly [1977] still holds a great original gel coat surface that shines brightly with a good buff and wax job.

Attachments

• IMG_6100.jpg
    IMG_6100.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6101.jpg
    IMG_6101.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6102.jpg
    IMG_6102.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6105.jpg
    IMG_6105.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6106.jpg
    IMG_6106.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I used Interlux Perfection. Made for roll and tip applications. Use only their reducers and thinners. Great flow out. Recommend three thin coats. First coat will be pretty translucent. Second coat covers great. Third coat for the finish. Hard as a rock when cured. Will keep tightening and Harding for a week. Don't chase runs. Sand them out the next day before the next coat.

Great advise to any boatowner would be to do everything you can to keep the original gelcoat

I saw a small boat whose wood hull had recently been rolled and tipped. Simply beautiful!

Will say though! I'm overjoyed that our 45 yr. old Tolly [1977] still holds a great original gel coat surface that shines brightly with a good buff and wax job.

Back
Top Bottom