Folding bicycles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cigatoo

Guru
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
What are people using for folding bicycles? Any suggestions? Likes dislikes? I am concerned about being able to store on a smaller boat such as our 36 foot GB. Thanks for your input.

I used a Dahon Mariner folding bike for many years. Reasonable weight, about 30 lbs let me easily load it in my dinghy and unload it at the dock.

I now have a 60 lb folding Lectric e-bike that I wouldn’t use on the water- too heavy.

David

I have a Tern (similar to Dahon- same family) It’s the only one I found at the time that was aluminum frame, internal hub gears and Gates belt drive. About 30 lbs. stored in a heavy nylon zippered bag stowed in the laz. Easy enough to grab the straps and lift it out.

I have a Tern Node D7i.....solidly built rear rack is important to me

The choice depends a great deal on what you plan to do with it. For puttering around the marina a Dahon or similar works. For longer distances there is really only one folder that works like a real bike, the Montague. If you go electric, then even the small wheel bikes can cover some distance, but you pay the price in weight.

I have a couple of these Rad Bikes Expand 5 folding bikes at home that are rugged, capable, reliable and loads of fun! I fold them and each fits in a 24" x 36" plastic tub. I can slide both tubs into the back of an SUV. Haven't tried them on the boat yet, but at 65# each, I'd use the davit to on- and off-load.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radexpand-electric-folding-bike

ExpandBlack_angle.png

We also bought one of these Addmotor eTrikes for those with balance issues. At ~85# with a big footprint, it's not boat friendly, but holy smokes is it capable and fun!!

https://www.addmotor.com/products/m-330-p7

Attachments

• 20221031_155203.jpg
    20221031_155203.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20221029_132445.jpg
    20221029_132445.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20221031_152845.jpg
    20221031_152845.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20221029_130154.jpg
    20221029_130154.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
My wife and I bought Zizzo folding bikes and have put serious miles on them. The only negative (I think) is that the rubber tires must be relatively soft because we've punctured them sooo many times. If a harder rubber is available then I'd replace them.

We purchased two Carbo e-bikes last fall before heading south. Folding, about 30#, easy to get on/off the boat, carbon fiber (no rust) frame, belt drive. They worked great for us. https://ridecarbo.com

We purchased two Carbo e-bikes last fall before heading south. Folding, about 30#, easy to get on/off the boat, carbon fiber (no rust) frame, belt drive. They worked great for us. https://ridecarbo.com
Nice. If the price point is acceptable, GoCycle just reduced their base G4 folder to around same $3500 and is certainly competitive in specs. I can't find US site on my phone or I'd post a link. Very nice bike.

Peter

We use a pair of Dahon Mariners on the boat. We’re very happy with the quality. We store them in bags made for the purpose. Put them in the dinghy for the ride to shore with no problem. Open them up on shore and good to go.

Ken

We have two very used 20” Dahon Mariners bought off Craig’s list. They are ok quality wise and at 30ish pounds about the limit of what we can handle. The new one prices are insane.
Negative: spokes fail, sharp corners pinch, plenty of steel which rusts, plastic parts that break and hard to get parts.
Last year I was tempted to buy an electric bike called a Jetson Bolt. A neighbor had one and I liked it. I would have bought it but we couldn’t wait around for the delivery. Check them out. You can buy a slightly used factory return for under $300.

Last edited:
I considered folding bikes for a while but in the end I figured 30 pounds is 30 pounds and I didn't like the small wheels. We just strap the standard bikes to the forward rail, they really are not in the way.

pete

I have a standard road (Ti) bike with SS couplings on the top tube and the seat tube. I can take the bike apart into two pieces, much easier to tuck away. That said, I very seldom take it because most of the locations I cruise to aren’t really bikeable…

What are people using for folding bicycles? Any suggestions? Likes dislikes? I am concerned about being able to store on a smaller boat such as our 36 foot GB. Thanks for your input.

We have two. Wifey's is an old inexpensive West Marine 3-spd model with derailleur, suits her well enough although she dislikes riding.

Mine is an old Downtube front suspension folder with internal hub and chain drive. Their current semi-equivalent, now with more gears and belt drive, would be this: https://www.downtube.com/11h-internal-hub-belt-drive-folding-bike/

Likes: The front suspension on mine is good. The luggage racks are good (rear suspension would interfere with this), especially for schlepping heavy loads (strap on a milk crate). Internal hub is good. 20" wheels better than 16" wheels.

Dislikes: Most "folding" hardware on bikes isn't great stuff. (Extra care can help.) Neither folds perfectly flat. Don't much care for chains; would prefer belt drive.

Helps to keep ours sprayed with Boeshield, folded, and within their carry bags. Even better might be full size bags we could use to cover the bikes without bothering to fold them.

-Chris

Last edited:
I picked up a couple of these from Costco on sale for about $330. I am about 215lbs and aside from decently steep hills, this one does quite well. The hills I do get a little slow on, I can pedal assist and keep on moving. Battery lasts quite a while ~15-18 miles. There are 2 versions of this bike, make sure you get the one w/ pedals and not just stationary pegs. That one was garbage!!! :)

https://www.costco.com/jetson-bolt-pro-folding-electric-bike.product.100712067.html

Does anyone want these?

1990's vintage Schwinn / Montague - We kept them aboard our Alden Countess44 - Lightly used - Pick them up in Jersey City

Attachments

• Bike1.jpg
    Bike1.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 23
  • Bike2.jpg
    Bike2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Bike3.jpg
    Bike3.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Bike4.jpg
    Bike4.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Go City electric Ebike

I picked up a Go City electric foldable bike on sale for about $800 Canadian. Bought a bag that you can lift it in for an additional 40 to 50 dollars. But it is heavy, 50lbs. It might be my dock bike, I'll see how it goes.

We've had a couple of Swagton EB-5s for several years now & they've been great. Good quality, fold up quite small & only weigh 37lbs. Plus they're at a price point that really blows the competition away. https://swagtron.com/product/eb5-pro-plus-city-campus-folding-ebike-electric-bike/

i just got a pair of the eb-7 plus. its good to hear you are happy with yours. these are about 5 pounds heavier than the eb-5 but they claim 20 mile throttle only range. haven't given them more than a quick test ride yet, but they're pretty powerful to be sure.

"i just got a pair of the eb-7 plus. its good to hear you are happy with yours. these are about 5 pounds heavier than the eb-5 but they claim 20 mile throttle only range. haven't given them more than a quick test ride yet, but they're pretty powerful to be sure."

We were really tempted to go with the EB7. More comfortable with suspension, more range with a bigger battery & more features but ultimately decided size & weight were more important.

That design is reported to have problems with slippage in wet conditions

Hard to know since the PikaBoost hasn't hit the market yet but it wouldn't surprise me. Still would be nice to be able to add some range to regular bike.

If you want a small, high quality folding bike that still rides well then you're probably not going to do much better than a Brompton. You can also get a huge bag that sits over the front wheels for those provisioning runs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom