thinking about a drone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
I'm thinking about a drone for the boat.

Preferring waterproof of course.

Here is one option

What are your ideas???

Hi Kevin,

Several friends use drones while boating and I'll share what I have picked up from them. While initially a waterproof drone makes sense (you're on a boat...), I think the most important factors are:
1. Video quality and stabilization. The better drones take great - amazing - videos and the lesser ones are blurry and jumpy.
2. Follow-me and other features. Look at the great drone shots of boats in motion, where the drone is smoothly following along. Another cool feature is the fly-around feature, where the drone does a big circle around you while filming. Oh, and return-to-home on signal loss or low battery level. These are features you'll love.
3. FAA allowance. There is a certain weight where you are required to have an FAA license. Do you really want that hassle?
4. A good user and knowledge base. To help you get answers to frequently-asked questions.
5. Spare batteries and other parts availability.

With all of that being considered I would buy the DJI Mini-2. Costco has a bundle for under $500 and I'm guessing Amazon has similar deals. Now that I'm boatless I have a significantly lower need for a drone!

My friend that has a Meridian 490 got very proficient (and quickly) at launching and retrieving from both the bow area and the flybridge; I've seen others do the same from their dinghy.

Last edited:
I did not think that getting a license was a big deal, or am I wrong and it is a big deal?

return-to-home on signal loss or low battery level. These are features you'll love.

A buddy got a drone and relied on the return to home feature, not realizing "home" was the drone's gps position at lift of, not the position of the control unit. Since he had moved after launching under way, his drone returned to land on water.

As far as FAA license, it is simple to get but as I understand it drones big enough to require a license can't be flown in restricted airspace without permission (there is some automated mechanism for getting permission in some circumstances.

Last edited:
Flying one off a boat won’t likely be in restricted airspace. So I don’t see a problem.

The drone I'm considering is made for boats.

The go home takes the drone to the controller not to where the drone was launched from.

The unit is waterproof meaning it is designed to land and take off from the water, and it as well as the controller floats.

Flying one off a boat won’t likely be in restricted airspace. So I don’t see a problem.

You might be surprised by the number of airports along coastal areas. That is where it is most likely to be a problem.

Been thinking of one myself
But as a first time user with likely crash and burn in its future was looking at the under $300 versions with good reviews
Strange name, but Holy Stone DJI Mavic clone seem to tick a lot of boxes.
Plenty of parts availability as well.
https://buybestquadcopter.com/dji-mavic-pro-clone/

Figured once I've mastered and killed off one of those, if I want to stump up for better there will be a spry+ clone available

You might be surprised by the number of airports along coastal areas. That is where it is most likely to be a problem.

You bet, the Navy launched me off the USS Constellation while steaming along the Delaware River just south of Philadelphia. They didnt tell me we were in Philadelphia Airport's airspace and even though we were on a SAR mission the tower chewed me out. Lucky I was SAR and for that they were and usually are almost always forgiving and cooperative.

But the license is a matter of drone size, correct?

I think so. As I understand it, if a drone is big enough (heavy enough) to require a license it is also subject to additional (?) use restrictions, most notably those prohibiting flight in restricted airspace.

Last edited:
If you can afford a waterproof drone then that is a great option for a boat. My first drone was a mini with all the bells and whistles. It still went for a swim when I decided to fly in wind conditions that were challenging for a small drone. Wouldn’t have been a problem on land but my boat was “sailing” on anchor and getting it back before the battery ran out was too much for my newfound skills. My new drone is also a mini but a little more robust and capable. Before you buy check out the drone reviews on YouTube. There are many of them. Captain Drone has specifically covered a couple of waterproof drones. Worth a view.

I think pretty much any serious drone requires a license now - not just for the pilot but also the drone. It isn't difficult to get, but you do have to take a test (unless you have a pilots license already). There are plenty of exclusion zones, even over water in civilized areas. And there are places - like any national park including Glacier Bay - where they cannot be flown period.

I bought a similar drone to the one in the OP. There is a pretty big difference in integration and function between the market leaders (DJI mainly) and the others. Some of the features even with DJI don't work well - the Go Home feature depends on GPS and video pattern matching and you cannot trust it on a boat. Also the altitude stability features depend on sonar and this does not work over water. But the controls, flight system, camera, and camera gimbal were much more advanced on the DJI compared to the waterproof drone.

I sold the waterproof drone and instead purchase a DJI and was much happier. You can put floats on them so that an inadvertent water landing isn't a disaster. It reduces the flight time a little but that hasn't been an issue for me. Another thing DJI offers is insurance, which includes water damage. I did that the first year, but have since decided the chances of landing it in the water are not all that great. You still need the floats, because the deal is you have to send back the drowned one - which means it better float. They really are pretty easy to fly, I've had no trouble landing it on the small upper deck of my AT34, but most of the time just hand land it: bring it close in a hover, grab the body with one hand, shut off the motors with the other.

I'm thinking about a drone for the boat.

Preferring waterproof of course.

Here is one option

What are your ideas???

I had the same idea as you, also wanted a drone and thought that if I bought a water proof one I would be safe from damage due to water. But then.............I started reading the reviews on these drones and that made me change my mind. Those waterproof drones are very expensive, but not very good. So I forgot about that option.

In the end I decided to buy a DJI Mavic Mini 2, since that one has very good reviews, is below the famous 250 gr rule and is relatively cheap. It has a 4 K, stabilized camera and is very simple to use.
Have been practicing with it now for a little over a month. I did watch a lot of videos on Youtube on how to operate a drone, what to think of, what not to do etc. Then I went to a large open field and started practicing basic control functions. The drone came with 3 batteries, so I empty them every single day. Most of the time I am just practicing within 10 mtrs of myself, there is no need to fly far away. Also practice with the camera settings to get an idea of what the drone can do. You will get a hand of it real quick, it is nice to see the progress.
Take offs are easy, after the first one you know what to do. The landings are the interesting ones. Since I am also going to use it on the water on a boat it means I can't really use the RTH (return to home) function, after all the boat has moved, so I need to be able to bring it back quickly and land it quickly. However, I found out that if you fly too low at a greater distance you may lose RC signal and when that happens you only have the RTH button to save your drone. Once you hear the drone or get the signal back you cancel the RTH and fly manual again.
To simulate a moving boat I just walk to a different part of the field, put a mat on the ground and that is where I need to land and do it fast. Must say am getting better every day.
I consider myself still a beginner and thus came to my own set of rules that I should stick to if I don't want to lose the drone. So far that has worked out fine.
Here is what I came up with:

1. Always do a good pre flight check.

2. I only fly line of sight and max 1000 mtr over the sea, min height at 1000 mtr is 30 mtr (about 100'). Why ? I don't run the risk of losing RC signal, because when that happens you basically see nothing anymore, you have no idea what the drone is doing.

3. I fly in Cine mode most of the time, max in Normal mode. The sports mode I leave for what it is, it drains the batteries.

4. As soon as I get to 10 min remaining I will fly it home. I aim to land with at least 5 min of battery remaining.

5. When I take off with a fully battery I prefer to go in the direction which is against the wind, so coming home I will fly with the wind.

6. Set your Return to Home altitude at min 200'. That way you should be able to clear all obstacles on the water.

7. Since the drone has no obstacle clearance sensors I won't fly purely on the camera at low levels at greater distances. Some people fly to an unknown area, don't check the surroundings and then fly the drone into a tree or a rock, simply because they take too much risk.

8. I don't fly when it rains or when there is a strong wind with gusts. On youtube it says you can use it at high wind speeds, but why would I need to take that risk ? A gust of wind and the drone could lie in the water. Not a good idea

My idea is to use the drone around the boat while under way, to find good anchoring spots (very easy to identify sandy bottom in areas where there is a lot of weed) and to film some of the places we visit. I have no intention of flying the drone out to its maximum range, only to find out I lost the drone.

But in all, am happy with the choice I made. In less than one month I know that, as long as I stick to my rules, I don't need a waterproof drone when I want to use it on the boat. A technical malfunction can of course happen, but that is a risk I am willing to accept.

It was a lengthy story, hope it helps you in making your decision.

Last edited:
You bet, the Navy launched me off the USS Constellation while steaming along the Delaware River just south of Philadelphia. They didnt tell me we were in Philadelphia Airport's airspace and even though we were on a SAR mission the tower chewed me out. Lucky I was SAR and for that they were and usually are almost always forgiving and cooperative.

Being launched off a carrier deck in a fighter has got to be hair raising and complete loss of bladder control landing. I worked in the Persian Gulf during the ‘ Tanker Wars ‘ around 87-88 and flew on those choppers with a group called the ‘ Desert Ducks’ and we landed on the decks of FFG’s. Swear to God those ships looked like a postage stamp below. Had hot hydraulic oil dripping on my back once and the Chief told me not to worry about it unless it STOPS.

Rick

The go home takes the drone to the controller not to where the drone was launched from.
When I worked IT at a hospital, they were very strong on the statement of "Trust but verify". Trust the manual and literature as much as you want, but I encourage you to verify this claim yourself, and with each new drone you get, as well as any new firmware updates for said drone(s).

Got a mavic pro 2. I can set the RTH to my controller location helps with moving around. Licence does matter by weight of the drone. Its simple to get FAA numbers for the drone. Landings I will usually catch it vs having it land on a surface.

Checking on current regs it appears that if the drone is <250g then ic can be flown without reg or license. You are supposed to self certify that you have read the rules. The Mavic Mini seems to meet this criteria (in fact was designed for that purpose). Not sure if it can carry floats.

Another thing unmentioned on the "waterproof" drones is the motors are not waterproof, just conformally coated so they don't corrode as quickly.

You've got to figure out if it is worth it to you. With the regulations and public perceptions flying a drone is more trouble than it is worth for someone who just wants to do it for fun (IMO). It'll be a neat toy for a little while, then meh. Generally speaking, you can't fly it anywhere interesting. Even flying in your backyard (if you don't live near an airport) may get complaints (or worse) from the neighbors.

I've got three Phantoms sitting in my closet that last flew in my living room about a year ago.

If you want to get a commercial license and make money at it, then maybe it's a different story.

Check this out first:
https://www.faa.gov/uas

When I worked IT at a hospital, they were very strong on the statement of "Trust but verify". Trust the manual and literature as much as you want, but I encourage you to verify this claim yourself, and with each new drone you get, as well as any new firmware updates for said drone(s).

RTH is usually the launch point. Some drones have a setting that allows the RTH point to be the controller. Sometimes you have to manually update the RTH point as the controller moves.

Read your drone's instructions.

Really enjoyed having a drone on our boat for the previous 4 years. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

I am far – VERY FAR – from an expert. I have just made lots of attempts and lots of mistakes. My opinion is the waterproof-ness is a) not needed, and b) gives up a *LOT* of valuable features/quality by a company that has decided to go that route vs. some of the other mainstream manufacturers.

Four years ago, I started with the DJI Spark It was a good compromise between the studio quality $2500 craft, and something I wouldn't commit suicide over if I dropped it in the water (have done that once already - drone #1 is at the bottom of the Neuse River now........). It does/did quite a good job for what it cost. Alas, the Spark is no longer being made, but you can still find some for sale at some retail outlets and ebay. The main drawback to the Spark is that the flying time is realistically (on a boat) only about 8 minutes or so. The tradeoff is weight and extreme portability.

The primary driver for the model I chose is a feature called “active track”. It allows the drone to track the boat in one of several modes without you having to “fly along”.

There are other intelligent video modes and automated cinematic clips that are just fantastic. There is already enough to worry about with the current battery level, GPS signal strength, return to home location on a moving bat, remote control data link strength, sunlight on the phone screen, and 50 other things -------- that these automatic modes are a real treat. It really taxes my pea brain just to keep track of everything while flying - even more so when moving the boat.

There are two modes of active tracking using image recognition that I use the most. You can find a lot of reviews, explanations, and tutorials on this, and the Spark in general on Youtube. Watch as many of these as you can.

I have since upgraded to the DJI Mavic Air 2. This model has a whopping 25 minute flying time – for not much increase in size or weight. This is the lowest price point that is still in production that includes the active track features. If those are not important to you, then the DJI Mavic Mini (no active track) is the current best-bang-for-the-buck model. This model also now uses the controller as the RTH point, rather than having to keep resetting it manually along your filming journey on the boat. Easy-peasy.

DJI is hands down the most stable, best and shortest learning curve software to get started on because of the HUGE user base and a plethora of forums, youtube instructional videos, and FAQs on the internet. For same-feature comparison, I would guess the DJI models are a 20% premium. I wouldn't buy any other brand, regardless of price level – there are just too many things that can go wrong.

I have used several different video editors - all free. The current one I am using is OpenShot running on Windows. Seems to do most everything I need it to with little effort. Nothing's perfect - you have to trade off a decade-long learning curve vs. what will be "good enough".

Watch lots of YouTube videos on the models and features you are considering – they are very helpful.

Below are some of our videos with both the Spark and the Mavic Air 2.

------
- Tennessee River and Tombigbee Waterways
- Les Cheneaux Islands
- Mackinac Island
- Erie Canal Culvert Overpass
- Erie Canal Lock 12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZT9FEHxsz8 - Chesapeake Bay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiqa_52XPjY - Dismal Swamp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AgbulwUoOg - Angelfish Creek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPl2zNd7E7Y - Everglades
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h5BENIXPqU - Boca Chita Key
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDx_veTBs9w - Pine Island Anchorage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l21k5GQZ284 - St. John's River
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieZBHIPRJMU - Coosaw River
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_6UbApxzXA - Waccamaw River
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7BNoQ3AXgE - Bird Island Anchorage

Clarifying drone license and registration

I did not think that getting a license was a big deal, or am I wrong and it is a big deal?

There is no license for a drone in the US. If your drone is over .55 pounds you need to register it with the FAA, it costs $5 and is pretty easy to do here FAADroneZone

Where things get tricky is if you intend to monetize flying the drone in any way, including putting the videos on youtube. Even if you aren't currently trying to make money off the video now, if you ever do, you are in violation.

To monetize drones by flying or creating video/pictures you need to get what is called a part 107. This involves taking a FAA test that is about 70% of what you need to know to pilot a plane. Once you pass the test you need to do an update every 2 years, but the update tests are pretty easy. With a part 107 you can fly the drone for commercial purposes.

In both cases (recreational and commercial), you need to keep the drone under 400 feet and out of restricted areas. There is an FAA app called Be4ufly that will let you know if the area is restricted. You can fly in a restricted area but you have to get an FAA waiver first. I have done a few of these, one took a week, another tool months.

I am happy to talk more about drones. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

I could see it being like a camera to me

Flurry of activity for the first year of two but how many more pictures of the boat, sunsets and whales do I need?

And for that reason I have gone off the idea (again) for a while

But if they ever bought one out that could do georeferenced images that I could manipulate on OpenCPN I'd be on it.

FAA License is for commercial use only.

But the license is a matter of drone size, correct?

If you are flying recreationally, you do not need a drone license. You should be fine as long as you don't fly over people and stay under 400 feet. That said, it's not a bad idea (to get the FAA license) cuz it might become a nice side hustle.

As a long time "drone" pilot (i.e. remote) I highly recommend the DJI line. The Mavic pros are especially great. I have not crashed one in many years as their obstacle avoidance seems to work pretty well. I have used mine on the boat a fair bit... no issues. That said, I have not dunked one!

As for licensing, it really is a pretty easy hoop to jump to get the remote pilot certification but is not needed for the mini Mavic as best I can tell. Most folks with the Mavic pros who use them for recreational flying don't bother to get the certification. If you are a pro, that is a different matter.

I would recommend getting a Mavic Mini - not very expensive, no license required and great features. Practice on land first. Learn how to hand catch. Join the Mavic Forum and you will learn A LOT - almost all crashes are pilot error. It is going to be edgy - no doubt about that . . . but so is boating. If you like the drone you can move up.

I have a Mavic Air and surprisingly have not lost it yet after 2 years flying off the boat. Learning to hand catch has helped a lot. The images/video are incredible and are unlike any you will get from the boat. Mambo42 has some great suggestions.

Find drones intrusive. A noise interrupting a peaceful quiet day at anchor. The ladies sunbathing to get rid of tan lines don’t like them either. See no need for kicks and giggles with such a device. Know I’m being cantankerous but value privacy.
Have no issue with them if used with respect for other people. Unfortunately that’s all to often not the case.

Last edited:
Hippocampus - I agree. I fortunately have a lot of remote anchorages to work with and not too much tanning going on in the Pacific NW. When we do have other neighbors, I have gone over to their boat, explained what I am doing and asked permission to fly. No one has ever refused, but if they do, no problem. I don't fly in marine parks period.

Agree with the DJI Mavic Mini suggestions.

I started with several cheaper drone options because I figured I would crash and burn them - and did. I think they were all a waste of money.

The DJI Mavic Mini is out of the box intuitive. I don't think I used any of the skills I may have learned from the previous drones other than to be careful.

I'd be skeptical of what "waterproof" really means in salt water for an electrical device.

Also, even if your boat is in a nonrestricted area, it's easy to fly into a restricted area nearby. The DJI software can show you a map of any nearby restrictions before takeoff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom