Tollycraft 26 sterndrive safe for coastal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Porchhound

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1981 CHB 34

Had no issues with my Ericson 29' sailboat in Puget Sound or the islands, but I'm looking at a Tollycraft 26, 9,000lb, single engine sterndrive and wondering if it is adequate for Washington coastal cruising.

What is the year, make, and size of your sterndrive package....and hours?

Not sure what you mean by adequate, but the 26 was first built in the 1960s and hundreds of them are still plugging away all up and down the west coast.

That's precisely what they were built for.

I don't know of many that were not singles; either inboard or I/O.

Don’t see any reason not to, just watch the weather like any other boat.

wouldn't one need to specify the sea state?

The Tolly 26 is a great coastal cruiser, but that stern drive power is something
i would avoid. I have owned enough stern drive boats to never want to own another. I would look for a Tolly 26 with an inboard. Stern drives are a pain to own in general, but they are really awful in salt water.

The Tolly 26 is a great coastal cruiser, but that stern drive power is something
i would avoid. I have owned enough stern drive boats to never want to own another. I would look for a Tolly 26 with an inboard. Stern drives are a pain to own in general, but they are really awful in salt water.

Agree. Most of these 26's were inboard V drive single gas engines and that would be my choice.

The 26 Tolly is one of the most regularly seen boats in The Salish Sea. It’s about the largest 26 you will regularly see out there and they have a fanatical cult like following. Owners tend to keep them for long periods and frequently repower over selling. Tollycraft’s biggest competition before the company closed was the used market for 26, as there were so many kept in great condition. It’s an iconic boat.

Your choice of the term “coastal” may not be the best for Washington since Coastal here would imply running along the coast from say Columbia river to Neah Bay. The Washington coast is not a terribly friendly place and while you will see 26 Tolly’s regularly fishing in those areas, their more typical area would be inland Salish Sea. We don’t consider Puget Sound to be anywhere near the coast.

There are too many configurations of this boat to make specific generalizations, but I’d agree to make sure the individual boat performance meets your needs. Some of the outdrive packages were less than stellar, others from more recent re-powers are just the opposite and impressive. Your best bargain will be one of the many out there with essentially new mechanicals tip to tail, where the prior owner has done the expensive upgrades and selling for a fraction of the cost. Cheaper to maintain typically too. Wait for a good one and don’t look at a boat needing everything as a bargain.

I absolutely agree!

Old stern drive in salt water has overall reaction similar to Alka-Seltzer in water. Fizzle, fizzle - gone! Also, especially the older model stern drives are often a mechanical and leakage headache. Go inboard with straight drive or V-Drive.

In general, good condition old Tollycraft can be a great boat to own!

If you've got a decent tow rig and you buy a trailer all sorts of storage and cruising possibilities open up. Add in a place to park it and the "problems" with a stern drive largely go away. V drives have their own sets of issues, be sure to check out carefully if that is your chosen route.

sunchaser; said:
Add in a place to park it and the "problems" with a stern drive largely go away. V drives have their own sets of issues.
:thumb:
Probably the most often seen I/O these days are some version of Mercruiser, but there are still many old ugly, cancerous Volvo and even OMC legs floating around. I think too many owners saw outdrives as just the bottom end of an outboard that never needed attention.

The ad doesn't give much detail on the stern drive but it operates off a 1974 Merc 355 with 1200hrs and a recent top-end bearing replacement. The outdrive was serviced in 2020 (I thought that was supposed to be an annual procedure).

Having taken the sage advice of this board I've $#@^-canned the sterndrive and discovered one with twin Merc 181s (I know, probably overkill for this size boat). Very clean boat with nice electronics package and Mathers MicroCommander Electronic Engine Controls, good canvas, etc.

Thanks for the help. Now we'll see if the Admiral will be satisfied with the space available inside.

Having taken the sage advice of this board I've $#@^-canned the sterndrive and discovered one with twin Merc 181s (I know, probably overkill for this size boat). Very clean boat with nice electronics package and Mathers MicroCommander Electronic Engine Controls, good canvas, etc.

Thanks for the help. Now we'll see if the Admiral will be satisfied with the space available inside.

Not overkill at all! Engine based on 4cyl GM 'iron duke'....rare to see in inboard config.....fwc and all...someone spent a pretty penny here....should last from now on.....grab it if you can!

Thanks. Do you think $30K is too much for this 1979 Tolly? 2017 Eng (hrs 250.)

Tolly 26 with twin 4cyl, with direct drive, is a nice package.
But is it still a trawler able to travel at 14-20 Knot?
OP, just want to point out they are gassers.
IIRC that 2- 4 cyl was more fuel efficient than the 8.

ETA: with the cost of fuel rising the cost of the boat is less of a concern as the cost to fill the tank after a modest weekend trip.

Last edited:
That's it. What might the insurance issues be with this boat?

Sointola found the same boat I found. It will sell fast.
I will repeat my ETA on previous post. You came from an Erickson 29 that sipped fuel.
With the cost of fuel rising the cost of the boat is less of a concern as the cost to fill the tank after a modest weekend trip.
Think $500 a weekend. That cost is one reason many boats sit at the dock after the initial novelty wears off.

That's it. What might the insurance issues be with this boat?
Age and gas. They'll at least want a good survey. Maybe check with the current insurer, they know the boat, or should.

Even five years ago that boat would be a pretty easy insure, but not in todays insurance market. They have become super fussy.

Not if its overall condition measures up....they all seem to start off in the low20's...and go up based on condition.

Back to engines, repowered in '17, so engines hours make sense.

Also, since Merc didn't offer an inboard version of the 181, (crusader did tho)..its likely something of a custom build....starting with a Merc longblock or even a complete engine. The beauty of GM engines is they all share the same bellhousing bolt pattern...so this allows you to use a standard Merc inboard bell housing and easily step into a standard transmission bolt-up...

The Hurths should provide counter-rotation....but check the model to be sure.

Then they would have needed to arrange a raw water pump....but again, likely a one of the standard merc inboard pump/brackets likely used....or maybe the Volvo style, directly driven off crank harmonic balancer....

Exhaust manifolds off the shelf Merc or Volvo.....and the fore/aft fwc heat exchanger is a bit unique...but nicely done....perhaps a Sendure product.

These are torquey engines as most in-lines are...and should be quite happy and sip fuel at cruise speeds.

I looked at the pictures on yachtworld. There appears to be 4" bands of epoxy or like material at the base of fuel tanks. I'd want to understand why that was added. Hopefully not to keep a leak at bay since some of it appears to be flaky off.

I don't mean to suggest that engines are some 'out-in-the-weeds' setup. Just an arrangement of standard, mass produced components for a desired result. Perhaps the owner was a motorhead type who did himself! (er..or herself!)

Regardlless, if you move forward I would find out who pulled it together, and can they provide mfg sources and part numbers for components used....even shafts, struts, rudders etc if they were involved...

Most can likely be found on Amazon, ebay, or of course from the source's dealer

Low eng hrs is good - as long as PO took care of them regarding oil and coolant; and, did not beat too hard on them too often by maintaining very high RPM. Correct or incorrect prop size for running at different rpm/speeds has a lot to do with correct/incorrect load on eng too. Who determined prop size? What size were orig engines - 255 hp, 350 ci Mercruisers?? If orig props... well... that would make me question prop induced engine load on lesser size engines. What's new engines' recommended rpm at WOT, compared to their actually available WOT rpm? How many hrs on either trany? Orig tranys... if so how many hrs before new engs installed? V-drive or straight drive Borg Warner Velvet Drive? Gas tank condition as well as condition of entire cooling system?? Engs ever been overheated? Lots to learn re drive train as well as a strong/long sea test.

Rest of entire boat needs close inspection to accurately determine overall condition.

Once you find out about all of that "stuff" - it's up to you to decide if you think $30K for a 43 yr old 26' boat is OK??? If you locate troubles do feel free to bring that up and make an offer so that when you fix the trouble the boat cost overall dosen's spiral over the top.

When we purchased our 1977, 34' Tolly tri cabin in 2008 pretty much all of the boat had just been well restored. Upgraded by master marine boat mechanic/caretaker for his family's use [including full port eng rebuild, top end starboard rebuild and port rebuilt trany]. Shat happened and he had to sell quickly. We were lucky to get it in that condition... at a well reduced price. Yet, due to his sudden quick need to sell, the two heads' toilets still needed upgrading. I negotiated even lower cost and put those discounted $$ toward a licensed Raritan installer making things correct in both heads. Since then... during our 13 + years of gentle use it's cost us average $769 +/- annual expense [inc haul and paint]... not counting fuel, berth, anodes, ins etc. We keep her under fully covered dock deep in SF Bay Delta's fresh water. The covered dock berth and fresh water greatly reduces costs.

Last edited:
Probaly not, in todays market and those little 4 bangers will be realy nice.

If this is it, it will be gone quick.
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1979-tollycraft-26-sedan-8108678/

I personally don't like those Mathers and make sure you can insure it before you dive in though.

This particular boat has been for sale for quite awhile and has gone back and forth from for sale> sale pending> for sale again. I have no relation with it or the broker. I just routinely browse Yachtworld for Tollycraft and a few others as I research what will be my next boat. Sharing as a possible data point in your decision-making process.

I would have expected it to sell quickly too, which is why I’m sharing. Eager to hear what you learn as you evaluate this boat and others.

Brad

The listing broker on that 26 Tolly has extensive knowledge and endless resources for all things Tolly.

He is a great guy and will be totally honest with you.

Thanks, you are the second person to tell me this. I think we will be speaking tomorrow and I'll get a look at her sometime this week. If it works out I'm looking forward to becoming part of the Tolly community.

Back
Top Bottom