The invasion of BC has begun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can we please get back to the CBSA requirements .
Being as testing in a timely manner seems to be the largest hurdle in the CBSA requirements for our US friends, I think discussion of testing (including where, what kind, timing, etc.) is very pertinent to boating in the BC area (for US residents) right now!

Does not seem off topic at all to me. :angel:
By the way, welcome back to the forum Tom!:D

Being as testing in a timely manner seems to be the largest hurdle in the CBSA requirements for our US friends, I think discussion of testing (including where, what kind, timing, etc.) is very pertinent to boating in the BC area (for US residents) right now!

Does not seem off topic at all to me. :angel:
By the way, welcome back to the forum Tom!:D
I would tend to agree, but getting close to the edge. As stated in Ketchikan you can get tested for free and get results in 15 minutes with a confirmation email in 24 hours.

Thanks. Nice to be back.

CBSA vs the health department(Canada Environmental?)

So when we checked CBSA officers told us if the health department has any issues with quarantine have them give CBSA a call and they would straighten them out.

I keep getting these messages from ArriveCAN wanting to know my quarantine status. Problem is we are off grid aka no cell service most of the time.

So, testing in Ketchikan much easier coming south than going north.

The testing question is central - no where near the edge - being a primary requirement for crossing the border. If you are near the border anyway living on your boat, you can improvise times and locations. If you have to drive 2 days to get there, launch the boat, discover you cannot get a timely test, haul the boat, drive 2 days home - it is an issue. If there is substantial likelihood I can't get a test, I may not invest a week's time and $1000 in travel lift fees in the attempt.

Well, I don't know what the reservation list looks like, but I am looking at plenty of open dock space at Shearwater today.

Well, I don't know what the reservation list looks like, but I am looking at plenty of open dock space at Shearwater today.

Nate, Is Cristof still the harbormaster at Shearwater, after the ownership change?

No, they'd left before last year, and were at Lagoon Bay in the Broughtons and I expect still there.

No, they'd left before last year, and were at Lagoon Bay in the Broughtons and I expect still there.

We don't usually stop at Lagoon Cove, but I will in the future to say hi to him, and Cameo. He was at Shearwater for many years and a great guy.

We don't usually stop at Lagoon Cove, but I will in the future to say hi to him, and Cameo. He was at Shearwater for many years and a great guy.

Lagoon Cove ranks near the top of my BC experiences (maybe right after Barb's Buns in Ganges) I can only hope they are continuing their nightly shrimp feed/potluck. I deeply regret that we only spent one night there in 2018. It was the best example I've experienced of our collective community of cruisers.

BTDT, got the coffee mug.

Last edited:
There were only 6 boats at the dock when we went through.

Port McNeill was packed. Allen and William always do their best to accommodate you.

I've not located a pcr provider in SJC nor Anacortes. There may be a Walgreens in Bellingham and a Rite aid in Mt Vernon that will test asymptomatic people and provide results in 24 hrs. I'd appreciate names of any other providers in the area who will administer pcrs for travel purposes.

I literally just went through this last week. None of the PCR testing outfits have been able to turn results around in 72 hours. I ended up going to the testing site at Setac airport and paid $200 US for a NAAT rapid test. Even Walgreens (Bremerton), who offers a Rapid test told me that their turn around time was 4 days.

The one nice thing about the SEATAC site is that you can make an appointment, but they are also accepting walkups. Staff is super nice but expect to wait a good bit in line even if you have an appointment.

Just fyi, I drove across the border at 0545 on the 13th. One car ahead of me in line. CBSA was super professional even though they did search my truck camper and interview me as usual.

Last edited:
Pixel Labcorp update:

I ordered two PCR home test kits online after business hours on Friday 8/13. They were delivered by 4pm Monday 8/16. We swabbed today 8/17 at 2pm and delivered them to the local FedEx contractor in time for the 2:45pm FedEx pickup. Now we wait for the emailed results.

One last minute hiccup was encountered when I tried to register the kits on my PL account. PL requires each person/kit to have separate PL accounts. Each new account's unique email ID is verified by clicking a confirmation link on a PL email. Not usually a problem unless that PL email is screened out as spam. Not usually a problem unless one's ISP uses a third party screener who only reports spam once a day for the previous days screening. And whose web address bears no resemblance to the ISP's address. So dont wait until swab time to register the kits. At registration you can specify a later time that you will be swabbing.

One other thing at PR. The officers told us that the heath department was going to harass us to fill out the daily quarantine questions. They told us to ignore them. If they call, redirect them to the PR CBSA and they would straighten them out.

I got daily emails from the health department. They called and did what I was told. They were not happy, but I don't get any more calls.

Took 8 days to get through Canada. Sitting at Herbs Tavern in Port of Friday Harbor enjoying an AA!!!

Sorry Soin2la....... 20210818_130517.jpg20210818_130721.jpg

Nice, if I were there I'd buy you a round or two! :thumb:

Pixel Labcorp update:

I ordered two PCR home test kits online after business hours on Friday 8/13. They were delivered by 4pm Monday 8/16. We swabbed today 8/17 at 2pm and delivered them to the local FedEx contractor in time for the 2:45pm FedEx pickup. Now we wait for the emailed results.

Please let us know how it worked out. Did you Fedex them from Friday Harbor or the mainland?

I dropped them off at a local FedEx representative (Post San Juan) in FH. They were received at a PL facility in Phoenix AZ around 1030am today.

Alaskan Sea-Duction said:
Sorry Soin2la...
Not sure wht the "sorry" is for, unless for not responding when hailed. I coulda hit you with a potato gun on Monday.

Pixel LabCorp update:

Received email test results at 12:22 am. Total time from dropping off samples to email results was about 34 hours.

O Canada!

Good to hear. That may prove to be a good option going forward.

I hate to sound like a whiner, but I just discovered that all the identity and vaccine documentation that I previously uploaded to ArriveCan is no longer there. Perhaps they only hold it once the application is "submitted". But of course I couldnt "submit" it until I completed the test upload. I used the "save & close" option with every upload. Try again.

OK! got the ArriveCan receipt for arrival tomorrow morning at 10am with 3+ hours to spare on the testing timer.

Do you have to specify your arrival time (and place I suppose) in ArriveCan? Haven't used it yet....

OK! got the ArriveCan receipt for arrival tomorrow morning at 10am with 3+ hours to spare on the testing timer.

I've tried setting up our ArriveCAN app and couldn't proceed because they only allow up to 3 days in advance and we're not leaving for another week or so. Any special information I need to have ready and on hand when filling in the information? Thanks

Quick replies:

Yes, you must specify time and location of entry facility. Check their list, some of the old favorites (Bedwell) are closed.

For ArriveCan you will need passports (scanned in app), official vax record (scanned in app), address of quarantine marina.

I didnt need test report, but will have printed copies and live copies on our phones.

If Ive forgotten something hopefully some one else will chime in.

I could not get the app to upload my passport or NEXUS. I had to manually enter the NEXUS info.

Quick replies:

Yes, you must specify time and location of entry facility. Check their list, some of the old favorites (Bedwell) are closed.

For ArriveCan you will need passports (scanned in app), official vax record (scanned in app), address of quarantine marina.

I didnt need test report, but will have printed copies and live copies on our phones.

If Ive forgotten something hopefully some one else will chime in.

Did you put down the marina address for where you checked in?

Back
Top Bottom