Old 11-27-2023, 09:41 PM   #1

City: Madisonville
Vessel Name: Aku Uka
Vessel Model: 43í DeFever
Tranny temp gauge

Happy and Merry to everyone. Spent my holidays in the engine room looking for a way to spend more money on my boat. I know, Iíll put temp gauges on my trannys. Now, where to install the senders. Any advice? Trannys are BW 72C. All advice welcomed.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:52 PM   #2
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
I have thought about doing the same, and have same tranny.

I had looked at using one off of one of the pipe plugs, next to the over temp switch. It is easy if you want an electric gauge, but I wanted a mechanical in the engine room, which has made it harder.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 09:06 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Ir the transmission is heat exchanged, why not tee the line before going into the heat exchanger?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 10:35 AM   #4
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I am always amazed at the number of gauges and electronics some boat owners want on their boats. My first boat was a simple 23 foot Pen Yann. I had more junk at the helm then I would ever need. In fact I had so much stuff hanging in front of the helm I could not get a clear view for docking.

Keep It Simple Skipper

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 11:30 AM   #5
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
I installed a 4 channel blue seas temp alarm/display. I only have one engine so I put sensors on the engine exhaust, tranny cooler, generator exhaust and generator block.
With twins, you could do both exhausts and both tranny coolers.
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 12:16 PM   #6

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: High Noon V / SV Evelyn
Vessel Model: Golden Star 42 / Ericson 30 / Yard full of trailer boats
Just dug out my manual. It has a diagram of the optional temp sensor set but does not show installation location for the 2 sensors..
If I remember correctly there are a couple of plugs near the breather but hopefully someone will post a photo of a trans with this option installed.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 02:29 PM   #7

The PO installed a pressure gauge in one of the pipe fittings next to the vent on the top of the transmission. It works fine for the pressure but not sure if it will work for the temp.
Old 11-28-2023, 05:39 PM   #8

City: West River
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
Temp sender location

After burning out the same transmission when it had no temperature senders, I installed a high temp switch in the drain plug and a temp sender in the pipe plug just forward of the cooler return. I believe this plug is meant to test the fluid pressure.
GB42-424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 12:57 AM   #9

Did the temp sender work in the plug for pressure readings? Also, OK I’m stupid. Where is the drain plug?
Old 12-02-2023, 10:06 AM   #10

City: Wadsworth
Vessel Name: Mar Azul
Vessel Model: 1977 Hatteras 42 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Life View Post
Did the temp sender work in the plug for pressure readings? Also, OK Iím stupid. Where is the drain plug?
I don't think there is actually a drain plug. I have temp sensors on my BW 72C's but won't go to the boat for another week or so.
PierreR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 02:10 PM   #11
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
Drain plug is on side of sump.
On mine the nut on plug is pointed forward, and threaded toward the stern. Can not see, but can feel it by reaching under it.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 04:11 PM   #12

City: West River
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
pics of trans temp sender and hi-temp switch

They sell a high temp switch with a 1/2 NPT for the drain plug. I used a Smith Warner trans sender and gauge for the test port.
Attached Thumbnails
D7000_20211016_004.jpg  
GB42-424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 05:42 PM   #13
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
My 72Cs came from the factory with a temp switch for an overtemp warning. From what BW says, the fluid temp pretty much doesn't matter as long as it doesn't hit 190*. If it hits 190*, get it cooled down and change the fluid ASAP.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:37 PM   #14
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB42-424 View Post
After burning out the same transmission when it had no temperature senders, I installed a high temp switch in the drain plug and a temp sender in the pipe plug just forward of the cooler return. I believe this plug is meant to test the fluid pressure.
Burning up a trans? Never heard of it. The source of heat is the only the engine to trans mounting, gears, the clutches and heat through the crankshaft as I see it. And the clutches only slip when shifting. How could it get too hot?

I had a 25í Albin w a three cylinder Yanmar. The trans was WAY too noisy. Perhaps the Kanzaki gearbox being aluminum was a big player re the noise. I mixed the trans lube lube oil from several high viscosity oils one being a very high viscosity 2 stroke synthetic lube. And a bronze oil pump. There was some heat there but I couldnít imagine it damaging the trans. The only friction was from the gears, clutches and heat transfer from the engine to trans where they are in contact. And there shouldnít be any heat from the clutches unless they were slipping as they were designed to do when they were shifting.

The high viscosity oil did the trick .. much quieter.

How does a pleasure boat transmission burn up? With no oil/lube I can relate to that but heat as a destructive source w plenty of oil? As to temp monitoring I canít see it. There must be something here Iím totally missing.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:01 PM   #15
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
How does a pleasure boat transmission burn up? With no oil/lube I can relate to that but heat as a destructive source w plenty of oil? As to temp monitoring I canít see it. There must be something here Iím totally missing.
If friction disks are completely worn out then there could be significant slippage that will create a lot of heat.

No oil will take out transmission. Unfortunately oil pump will maintain pressure and temp until there is zero pressure and thus no temp. By the time you notice your gauge you may have a destroyed transmission.

You might get an earlier warning by simply monitoring external transmission body temp with a very loud piezo alarm.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:13 AM   #16
Guru

I always kept the cooling system in good condition, and whenever I measured temperature with a heat gun it was around 105/106 F. That was using 30 weight synthetic engine oil for lube in the BW71.
Therefore I never considered a temp gage necessary.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 01:00 PM   #17
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
My friend's OA42 has tranny temp gauges in the engine compartment. They don't have telltales so I'm not sure what good they are. On a related topic, when I worked at a car dealership I did a Google search for tranny parts and got a visit from HR.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 09:33 PM   #18
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
If you install it in a tee off of the oil line to the cooler, make sure it’s the output side! The other hose carries cooled oil back to the transmission.
I’d use a Murphy gauge with an alarm, or eliminate the gauge altogether and use an over temp switch to a buzzer.
Visit Aqualarm website, plenty of this type of things available.