Old 08-16-2019, 04:33 PM   #21
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
In a following sea I always leave my tabs up.

Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Washington, NC
Vessel Name: Oriente
Vessel Model: Sabreline 34 Flybridge
I am coming from 30 years of sailing where following seas is fun surfing. I am learning with this trawler how different they are.

boating rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Newburyport, MA
Vessel Name: Kairos
Vessel Model: Island Pilot 395
If Bennet does not work out. You might try ZipWake. Most new Sabre’s are coming with these now.
DonnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #24
ljk

City: Fort Myers FL
Vessel Name: Hobie Kayak
Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
My Mainship is a similar boat to yours, I think. Tends to cruise "stern down, bow up." A couple years ago, I replaced the chain/line anchor rode with all chain. The extra weight definately helped, I don't need so much tab now.
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #25
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljk View Post
A couple years ago, I replaced the chain/line anchor rode with all chain. The extra weight definately helped, I don't need so much tab now.

This can be an interesting one. I've found with my hull, while moving weight forward does require less tab to reach the fastest trim angle, moving weight forward also reduces speed. Moving 2 people from the aft seat on the bridge deck to the forward stateroom costs about 0.2 kts in flat water after trimming for best speed in each condition. Once they walk back to the bridge deck, the speed comes back.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #26
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Yes, you will like talking to Bennett. Their comment to me when I asked about the idea of extending the existing Bennett tabs aft was that WIDTH is more important than length in a tab. I did not want to have to cut up the cockpit deck in order to add a second cylinder for wider tabs, and besides, the prop tunnel on this boat limits the width of tabs. A friend gave me a pair of small pair of manually adjusted tabs which fit between the tunnel and the inboard ends of the Bennetts, and I set them fully down. Then I added a drop fin kit to the Bennetts ordered from them. Now the bow gets down to where I can see where I am going when planing.
rgano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:49 PM   #27
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
I will third or whatever that in a following sea the tabs are not fast enough to play with like suggested. TO boot you will be so busy keeping the boat under control you will not likely be able to manage the tabs in addition to the other needs.
Retract them fully.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cup, propeller, tabs, trim