Rebuild Lehman 120

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mgtgrafix

Veteran Member
Hi guys

I’m looking for any recommendations for someone to rebuild my Lehman 120.

My vessel almost sank about 2 years ago and have been dealing with the insurance company who has been dragging their feet. We finally got through all the electrical but now it’s looking like the engine has seized due to salt water entry.

I found a mechanic but it’s looking like his time line may not fit mine. The insurance company is looking from a shop but the vessel can’t move without being towed. I’m at FOSS marina in Tacoma Wa

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Joe

Last edited:
Hi guys

I’m looking for any recommendations for someone to rebuild my Lehman 120.

My vessel almost sank about 2 years ago and have been dealing with the insurance company who has been dragging their feet. We finally got through all the electrical but now it’s looking like the engine has seized due to salt water entry.

I found a mechanic but it’s looking like his time line may not fit mine. The insurance company is looking from a shop but the vessel can’t move without being towed. I’m at FOSS marina in Tacoma Wa

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Joe

Joe, you appear to have a can of worms opened. Why? What boat, year make model?
After two years you did electrical re wiring?
If the insurance did not offer to write it off there must be a reason for this two year delay, we/I need the whole story.
I am DIY as much as possible, are you? Start unbolting, taking off as much as you can, label bits and pieces, take pictures and have it ready to cart over to a mechanic you find available. A stripped engine saves hours of other people labor and becomes easier to get out of the boat.

Joe, you appear to have a can of worms opened. Why? What boat, year make model?
After two years you did electrical re wiring?
If the insurance did not offer to write it off there must be a reason for this two year delay, we/I need the whole story.
I am DIY as much as possible, are you? Start unbolting, taking off as much as you can, label bits and pieces, take pictures and have it ready to cart over to a mechanic you find available. A stripped engine saves hours of other people labor and becomes easier to get out of the boat.

The boat sat for almost 5 months while I actively tried to get any response from the insurance company. They would tell me they would get the ball rolling on repairs but then nothing would happen. I was finally able to get the right person and then found a marine electrician. I did my due diligence and the electrical company started their work. They replaced All the wiring from the engine compartment to the panel along with new started, alternator, water heater, diesel heater. Pretty much anything that had any evidence of damage. That took pretty much the rest of the time. In the meantime I couldn’t get anyone to come look at the vessel because of Covid or no time. I’ve been getting the runaround since day one.

I already took off the head and exhaust manifold . That’s how I determined the engine was cooked

Attachments

• 4D3A6E39-394D-4724-84BF-D6C55404C91F.jpg
    4D3A6E39-394D-4724-84BF-D6C55404C91F.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 56FAF2D9-A488-49F2-9FB8-9F4B298C54F8.jpg
    56FAF2D9-A488-49F2-9FB8-9F4B298C54F8.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 36
Wow, Is the engine covered by the boat sinking, did you expect it to be covered?

That look nasty, can be overhauled, but at what cost. You have not mentioned the boat, the overall value, with a working engine.
You know your circumstances, if you think insurance should pay, get aggressive, seek out a lawyer to press the issue. Otherwise compare cost of rebuild or complete engine drop in and get er done.

Wow, Is the engine covered by the boat sinking, did you expect it to be covered?

That look nasty, can be overhauled, but at what cost. You have not mentioned the boat, the overall value, with a working engine.
You know your circumstances, if you think insurance should pay, get aggressive, seek out a lawyer to press the issue. Otherwise compare cost of rebuild or complete engine drop in and get er done.

The vessel is a 1981 CHB 34 and is insured for 55k. So far the electrical was just over 28k and was covered by the insurance. Once I get an estimate then we will see what the insurance says. Hence my dilemma. I had a mechanic and have been trying to schedule an appointment which I had yesterday, but he didn’t show and said he never got my message confirming the appointment. I’m looking for alternatives for a mechanic/shop that can remove the engine, rebuild and replace back in the vessel. If anyone has any suggestions for a shop I would greatly appreciate it.

As I understand it, the industry standard for submerged diesel engine recovery has a 24-hour timeline. If the boat cannot be raised in that time and engine first aid applied, chances of engine recovery begin to sag. First aid is to remove the injectors and vee belt and whatever is in the sump and then filling the sump with diesel. Next, hook up an air-driven drill to the crank pulley and spin the engine for a bit. Rinse and repeat twice before filling with lube oil and repeating the process twice before filling with oil, replacing the injectors and restarting the engine, probably with a new starter. And don't forget the tranny in this process either. If that did not happen, it will be far better to call American Diesel of their equivalent replacement OR look around for a used replacement - they are out there.

Back
Top Bottom