Old 03-08-2021, 09:11 PM   #1

City: Savannah, Ga.
Vessel Name: Indigo Star
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 400
Which Micron filter to use in Racor?

Hello,

Its time for me to replace both the primary and secondary fuel filters on our Maniship 400 Yanmar 6LY2AN-STP diesel. I have never replaced them so far but I need to soon.

The issue I have is I am not sure what "Micron level" the element is that is currently in the Racor 900MA Filter assembly and I am not sure what the basic standard is used for a primary and secondary filters, as far as Microns go...

The Parker/Racor spec shows 2, 10 & 30 Micron as my options for the primary.

Which one should I use? Wouldn't you want a really good filter in the first filter?

The second filter, being on the engine itself is a Yanmar Fuel Filter (41650-502330-12). I cant seem to find its micron spec either.

I have a spare Racor 2040N-10 (10 Micron) and 1 of the Yanmar filters as well.

Are those ok to use?

Thanks for your comments.
Attached Thumbnails
racor.JPG  

jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:23 PM   #2
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Your secondary filter on the Yanmar is almost assuredly a 2 micron. Recommendation for the Racor is most likely 10 micron. Many DIY owners will strongly recommend running 2 micron on the racor to avoid changing the secondary. I personally defer to the experts who recommend staged filtration and therefore recommend 10 micron in the racor.

Good luck

Peter

mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:02 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I run 10 microns in my Racors but I don’t have a high pressure injection system either. To me it would depend on how difficult it is to change the secondaries. If they are easy to change then go with the 10s. If the secondaries are hard to change then maybe go with 2s. And you will change the 2s more often and the secondaries less often. Some will say that you need a 30 as the first, then 10 and then 2. I only have 2 filters, primary and secondary on the engine. Most will say I need to use 30s in the primaries since the secondaries are about 7 micron. I use 10s and they stay clean and the secondaries never need changing. Each to their own.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: Barrington
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Boatless at present
All filters create resistance to flow. If you have too many fine filters in series the total resistance to flow may make your pumps work harder and/or less flow and/or lower pressure. As the filters filter each ones resistance to flow increases with a resultant decrease in circulation of whatever fluid is being filtered. So resistance varies with use. I change my racors depending on how they look, pressure reading and fixed intervals. Engines are expensive. Filters are cheap.
The manufacturer has figured out at which micron of filtering used for how long in which place in the series is appropriate. So for any fluid (oil, water, fuel) it’s wise to just follow their instructions in their manual if the note it. Believe Peter is correct a 10u then a 2u but would check your manual or ask a yanmar wrench to confirm.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:35 PM   #5

City: Bella Bella
Vessel Name: Tenacious
Vessel Model: Uniflite 31 FB Sedan
10 mic, except a lot of guys use 30's with Detroits because they pump and return a lot of fuel.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:40 PM   #6

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
10 micron in my 900 tacit and 2 micron on the engine. Cummins 6.7 L common rail.
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #7
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I don't think it matters much. Most of the stuff we want to filter out of the tank fuel is much larger than 2, 10 and 30 mic. And it is mostly gooey and soft, not likely to damage injection equipment. On my personal boat, I generally use a Racor 10mic, and I am pretty sure the secondary is 20mic. Seems backwards, but no harm comes from it. If I have a 30mic on hand, I will use that without a second thought.

If you have a common rail engine, most spec a 10mic primary and use a 2mic secondary. CR engines very sensitive to clean fuel, so if that is the rec, follow it.

Detroits flow a LOT, and 30mic is recommended. Other old skool mechanical injected diesels use what you want. Does not really matter.

I have heard the Racor 2mic reported to clog faster, but that was via anecdotes. I tend not to use those unless customer requests.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:34 AM   #8

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Name: Wingspan
Vessel Model: Aluminum Catamaran
I can't speak to your specific engine, but on my Yanmar 4JH4-HTE I spoke to Mack Boring (the east coast distributer for my engine) and they said the on-engine filter is measured differently than Racor, but if using the same measurement standard, the on-engine filter would be about 3 to 5 microns. He indicated it wasn't advised to use a 2 micron as the primary Racor. He recommended 30 micron but said he understands people who want to use a 10 micron as primary and he didn't have any real issue with that. He said it would need to be replace more frequently - but if you don't care about the inconsequential cost of that then go for 10 micron as a primary Racor.

So that's what I ran.
Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:38 AM   #9
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
My old F.L. which will eat about anything and has almost 0 return. The fuel in my tanks is pristine. (the tanks have been renewed)

30's in the Raycors, 10's in the secondaries.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #10
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I would go with whatever Yanmar recommends for that specific engine. Might be timely to get a manual for it while you are at it. Mack Boring is an excellent source of info for all things Yanmar, and they also give training classes aimed at the recreational boater. They list a variety of service and dealer companies in the general Savannah area.

https://mackboring.com/

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:23 AM   #11
Guru

City: Barrington
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Boatless at present
+1 for Mack Boring
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:30 AM   #12

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Conundrum
Vessel Model: Nordlund 63' Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngNate View Post
10 mic, except a lot of guys use 30's with Detroits because they pump and return a lot of fuel.

DD 6v92's here. I have 30 microns in the racors and then 3 micron nominal on engine secondaries. Here's yet another source of information ymmv:

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/marin...-seaboard-way/
tozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #13
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Just go up in size until they plug up too fast.

I use 30m

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:25 PM   #14

I have the manual thank you but it does not specify any type of micron filter
Old 03-10-2021, 01:21 PM   #15
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I use a 2 micron, but my max fuel flow is only 1 gph so it's hard to plug it. Last year I had a wot issue that reducing my throttle to half cleared up so I knew my filter was clogging. I had 700 hours on that filter, the first one I have ever had slow the fuel flow since I have owned the boat. Recommended to change at 500 hours, I will just start every season with a new filter. The secondary is a 1 micron Yanmar filter, and I believe fuel flow has as much to do with the filtration as anything. More fuel flowing, the larger filter you should probably be using.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:20 PM   #16
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
The lower the micron number, the longer fuel system components last. I run 2's in the Racors, buy clean fuel and use a diesel treatment that includes a biocide. When I rebuilt my Detroit mains, I had the injectors rebuilt. Not changed since then, about 10 years.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:05 PM   #17

Well I changed both primary and secondary fuel filters today, and actually also used the Parker/Racor 900MA rebuild kit to replace gaskets O-rings etc. Its super clean now..

Is it normal for the bowl have this much trash in it?Click image for larger version

Name:	20210312_122726.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	115517Click image for larger version

Name:	20210312_122736.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	115518Click image for larger version

Name:	20210227_103238.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	115519
Old 03-12-2021, 09:28 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Is it normal for the bowl have this much trash in it?Attachment 115517Attachment 115518Attachment 115519[/QUOTE]

Not in my boat, they stay clean all the time. Maybe get your tanks polished???
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:43 PM   #19
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I use 2's in the Racors and the same on the JD 4024 engine. But then, fuel rate is usually 1.5 gallons per hour, occasionally over 2, and never more than 4.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:50 PM   #20

Well, I have owned this boat or a little over a year and this is the first time I have replaced the fuel filters. I knew based on the bowl it was time. I am glad I did too.