Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
TF where else can one get 100 correct answers to the one simple question
That is what I love about this place

Old 05-23-2018, 05:25 AM   #22
FF
Guru

"I will say that if I don’t use my gas boat in the winter I will still run it for a few minutes every 4-6 weeks during that time. Thinking I’m keeping it heathy doing that, so if winterizing with fresh oil is a standard procedure,"

Cold starts all winter is not uncommon, it is not usually a recommended procedure.

The engine never gets warm enough (gas or diesel) to burn off combustion blowby.

Changing the oil in spring is a good idea with this procedure to get rid of the combustion by products .

With most oils the additives are 15% to 20% of the oil , and one of the more important is the oils detergent.

The detergent can lift and capture the "fines" that pass thru most oil filters (bypass filters may be an exception) but in order to work the oil must be HOT and best is when it circulates for hours to lift off the fines that stick to most interior surfaces.

Its never fun to change oil after a long days run , as the Hell Hole will live up to its name , but there is no extra expense and your engine will Love you for the work.

We always hear about engines with multiple tens of thousands of hours between overhauls.
In many cases I believe it is because the oil is changed on the fly, a lever is thrown and the tank of fresh oil is fed and the tank of used oil is cut off.

This happily captures the gropsh in the old oil, fines, acid from combustion and the rest.

The best folks with 5Q or 10Gal of oil in an engine can do is good, frequent oil changes.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:00 AM   #23
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I have two kinds of oil filers, the standard one and a 2 micron bypass filter.
So as the engine runs, all oil is filtered by the standard full flow filter continuously to maybe 15 microns, I used a Pure One typically, and the other filter is a bleed stream bypass, so a small stream of oil goes slowly through getting cleaned to 2 microns. The output simply dumps back into the oil pan. I know it is 2 microns as I asked Fram who makes it and that is what they said. It uses stacked plates and is pushed into a steel housing

https://www.ruralking.com/fram-by-pa...hoCNSQQAvD_BwE

It is an older design and was used on industrial and farm and marine etc... from way back in the 50's till today. Although likely today, they save money by NOT installing an extra bypass filter in addition to the full flow filters. IMO, having both is best, it does help with getting 'fines' out of oil, as it is those 'fines' which grind away metal as your main filter can not catch those abrasive 'fines'.

Another thing about oil filters, all full flow filter designs have an internal bypass, either in the filter itself, or the housing it screws onto, so that when oil is thick and cold, it can flow to the engine, otherwise the full flow filter could not flow enough oil when it is real cold. The other thing is as your full flow filter steadily clogs up, it filters more efficiently, but it can not handle the flow so well, so the internal bypass may open if it sufficiently clogged up allowing unfiltered oil to flow to the engine. That is probably why if you don't change your oil and filter, those engines more likely to grenade on you., cause the oil is dirty and the filter can not do its job. If your oil is ok, just change the oil filters, otherwise your just throwing away money changing out good oil, of course the oil companies and the oil sellers like that..
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #24
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
That is what I love about this place
Yes, we like to cover all possibilities here, so it is impossible to know what to do.

In all seriousness, get the oil analyzed; you will have evidence to make an informed opinion, know what to do next time, and get that info on TF.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #25

City: Flanders, NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Between science and old habits I'd rather change. If a few years has passed. A lot cheaper then a motor blown and less time to wait to analyze the oil. My pennies worth.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #26
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Thanks, all.

I will change the oil before we start. I’ve had the oil analyzed twice already—once after sea trials (when I’m sure we were looking at new oil) and again after we ran from Florida to the Chesapeake. No issues. But after sitting up this long with little use, I’ll take the more conservative route and change/analyze.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #27
Guru

City: Boston Area
If the oil analysis is going to cost $50(25/engine), and new oil would cost $100......its like getting an oil change at half price. Its like the Mastercard commercials....."Oil change = $50, peace of mind = Priceless.

its hard to quantify, but there is a financial value to reducing the items on your list of things to worry about.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:26 AM   #28
FF
Guru

Oil is best analyzed when being changed after a long period of use.

It will then contain the iron, fuel, and the rest of the items being looked at.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Boston, MA
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
I’ve recently been told, while at an engine manufacturers training course, that the typical New England temperature changes over the winter will destroy the additive package in new oil installed when boats are hauled for the winter necessitating a change upon launch in the spring even though the oil was never used. This due solely to condensation inside the motor as the temperature fluctuates. These people are only concerned with maximizing engine longevity and maintaining their reputation, they are not selling oil or oil changes.
Daveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:51 PM   #30
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveo View Post
I’ve recently been told, while at an engine manufacturers training course, that the typical New England temperature changes over the winter will destroy the additive package in new oil installed when boats are hauled for the winter necessitating a change upon launch in the spring even though the oil was never used. This due solely to condensation inside the motor as the temperature fluctuates. These people are only concerned with maximizing engine longevity and maintaining their reputation, they are not selling oil or oil changes.
Hum if true I would suspect more engine failure in boats, and cars, up here than any other country

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:12 PM   #31
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:

ok
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:29 PM   #32
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Sounds fishy to me

Quote:
So let me get this straight. A New England fishing boat that sits for a week over Christmas would have to change oil because the additives would be destroyed?

Hmmm. The us srmy, which owns tens of thousands of Diesel engines changes oil when oil testing specifies. Many of these vehicles sit for weeks at a time and the oil may be changed once in five years.

If you are getting that much condensation in your engine you have other problems. This ranks up there with keep fuel topped off to reduce water in the fuel.

Gordon, who has never had a problem with water in fuel or oil.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:33 PM   #33
Guru

City: Sydney
Would a few liters of gun oil be the answer ?
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:40 AM   #34

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
Quote:
If that’s the case, drain the oil in the fall, put it in a nice warm garage for the winter, and put it back in the spring (after draining out all that condensation, of course.)
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:39 AM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Hum if true I would suspect more engine failure in boats, and cars, up here than any other country

L
Been doing it that way for 30 yrs and so far no engine problems. Think I'll stick to my old habits.

That strikes me as a pretty far fetched claim when any SMALL amounts of water will remain separated from the oil with engine sitting idle.

I'd like to see some valid test data to substantiate a claim like that before I acted on it.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #36

City: PNW/Seattle-ish
Vessel Name: M/V Peter Iredale ;)
Vessel Model: rusting hulk
That claim, despite the authority supposedly behind it, is just nonsense.

On one hand, it just doesn't pass the smell test of simple physical reasoning. A non-running engine isn't going to generate the heat that is required to generate condensation - it will have only a very trivial amount in it from the last condesnation.

Here's some real data. 25 year old Deere, laid up on the Great Lakes over winter, year-old oil, heavily used (500hrs, albeit much make-up oil in the interval). Just fine come spring.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...OA#Post4433182
Civilitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:43 PM   #37
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Be careful, like condensation in partially full or almost empty tanks.....it depends a lot in where you are climate wise.

I have seen engines dripping in sweat after a cold snap or just cold engine rooms from the water, and a warm, moist front passes through. If you don't have your exhaust and intake sealed up tight, the water could add up.

Now the question is.....how much does it take to deteriorate the oil?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:41 AM   #38
FF
Guru

"If you don't have your exhaust and intake sealed up tight, the water could add up."

Sealing the engine is usually part of the "out of service" tasks in most engine manuals.( Da Book. )

Its fast ,& cheap so why not?
Old 06-06-2018, 06:20 AM   #39
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Engines oil crankcases are well sealed from the atmosphere, internal condensation inside the block? LOL. All internal surfaces are heavily coated with a film of oil and also oil varnishes.
A cylinder wall can rust but changing oil won't help that.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #40
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
You would think nothing of parking your car all winter in New England without changing the oil before and / or after. What’s different? One reason for getting any engine up to operating temp is to boil off moisture internally and externally. Unless someone or something is pouring water into your crankcase you are fine.

Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote