Old 05-02-2021, 02:45 PM   #1

City: Hilton Head Island
Vessel Overturns near San Diego?

How does a boat carrying some 30 people or so overturn? Just picking this up off wire. Totally tragic since at least two dead, probably avoidable. We'll see.

Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:03 PM   #2
Guru

City: Boston Area
Perhaps it overturned because there were so many people on it ?

Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:04 PM   #3
Guru

Source: First picture was from Omari Flemming at NBC 7 San Diego. Second from Mike Karl Jacobson at KGET.com
Attached Thumbnails
SD1.jpg   SD2.jpg  
Old 05-02-2021, 04:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: A2
Reminds me of the 34 Silverton that did the same with 27 people onboard.

https://www.soundingsonline.com/feat...-many-to-carry
PacificBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:12 PM   #5

City: Hilton Head Island
A lot depends on how big a boat it was whether 25 people could cause it to overturn. 25 people at an average of 200 pounds each (5000 pounds total) if they all went to one side to see some thing, maybe enough.
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:33 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Some of the reports suggest it was involved with smuggling people across the border, maybe.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:40 PM   #7
Guru

Like most accidents, there will probably be multiple contributing factors, like overloading, rough seas and running aground. Seas were reportedly 7 feet.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:58 PM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Not to mention alcohol.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:33 PM   #9
Guru

The boat was a cheap ass built panga, used for smuggling people and drugs...just a shell with a motor. It wound up at Ralph's Beach, a popular surfing spot due to the gnarly waves.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:24 PM   #10
Guru

some articles mention that the boat might have been a panga, but the pictures seem to indicate otherwise. It appears to have been a wooden boat with a fly bridge.

Side note: Pangas are actually pretty cool boats with a fascinating history, having been designed by Yamaha and funded as a World Bank project in the early 70's to allow fishermen an economical boat with a shallow draft that could be launched from the beach, go offshore, and return with a heavy load.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:58 PM   #11

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
Color suggests it's meant to be not seen at night and it is overloaded with people, you can draw your own conclusions but it's pretty obvious what was going on.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:12 PM   #12
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
The boat was a cheap ass built panga, used for smuggling people and drugs...just a shell with a motor. It wound up at Ralph's Beach, a popular surfing spot due to the gnarly waves.
The boat in the picture sure doesn't look like a panga. If human smuggling, it is typical for the boat to beach and its passengers to scatter. It seems more likely that it rolled while trying to beach than that it was overturned by heavy seas alone.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:10 AM   #13

City: SC
Vessel Name: Sea Flute
Vessel Model: 1979 Fairchild Scout
https://www.breitbart.com/border/202...ifornia-coast/
Adopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:57 AM   #14
Guru

City: Currently hiding out in Smith, NV, USA
Described as older 40 foot cabin cruiser this morning.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:06 PM   #15

I know this boat. We keep our 1967 Hattetas in Point Loma and have often seen this boat rotating through the local anchorages. The man who owned the boat was a full time live aboard. We locally refer to them as sea gypsys (no insult intended) because they roam from anchorage to anchorage with no home port. The boat was a TOTAL mess and appeared to be home made or had the upper cabin added to an existing hull which could explain it being top heavy. Maybe it was “livable” in the harbor but it was not sea worthy. He would pull by my slip regularly to use the public pump out near our marina. Creepy looking dude. I would never have stepped foot on that vessel so I can only imagine how desperate these immigrants felt to go to sea on such a crap boat in poor conditions. The word locally is that he had been suspected of smuggling before. He was traveling near shore by Point Loma between a massive and unnavigable kelp forest and the Point Loma tide pools in Cabrillo National monument when he had a fuel problem. He called for help and reported he was alone. The boat was pushed ashore as he floundered in rough seas and keeled over when he ran aground. The boat was broken up by the surf rather quickly. My family was onboard our boat in Point Loma when it happened. It sounded like every emergency vehicle in San Diego responded… sirens wailed for over an hour as they rushed to save these poor people. Horrific
luv4h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: calabasas
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
Thank you for your local knowledge and welcome to trawler forum. its an honor for me to say that

i wonder where did he pick up the undocumented?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4h2o View Post
I know this boat. We keep our 1967 Hattetas in Point Loma and have often seen this boat rotating through the local anchorages. The man who owned the boat was a full time live aboard. We locally refer to them as sea gypsys (no insult intended) because they roam from anchorage to anchorage with no home port. The boat was a TOTAL mess and appeared to be home made or had the upper cabin added to an existing hull which could explain it being top heavy. Maybe it was “livable” in the harbor but it was not sea worthy. He would pull by my slip regularly to use the public pump out near our marina. Creepy looking dude. I would never have stepped foot on that vessel so I can only imagine how desperate these immigrants felt to go to sea on such a crap boat in poor conditions. The word locally is that he had been suspected of smuggling before. He was traveling near shore by Point Loma between a massive and unnavigable kelp forest and the Point Loma tide pools in Cabrillo National monument when he had a fuel problem. He called for help and reported he was alone. The boat was pushed ashore as he floundered in rough seas and keeled over when he ran aground. The boat was broken up by the surf rather quickly. My family was onboard our boat in Point Loma when it happened. It sounded like every emergency vehicle in San Diego responded… sirens wailed for over an hour as they rushed to save these poor people. Horrific
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:44 PM   #17

If they boarded his vessel in port it would have most likely been in Ensenada. However, there is a lot of surveillance there and he would have raised suspicion so I assume they boarded at sea maybe by panga from anywhere along the coast. There are very few ports he could use within his vessel’s range. Ensenada is about 70 miles south of where he crashed.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:16 PM   #18

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bo...ad/ar-BB1gqu8s
Old 05-07-2021, 06:49 PM   #19
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
A crappy, wooden boat painted to avoid detection deserves to be beaten by the waves and sunk. Nobody deserves to die due to someone being negligent or greedy, but the owner or captain got what he deserved.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:08 PM   #20
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I don't know why someone would bother overloading a crappy boat to smuggle people when they can walk across the border.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote