Sydney Shark attack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
A swimmer died yesterday 10M off rocks adjacent to a southern Sydney beach frequented by families, surfers, and swimmers. First death in Sydney in around 60 years, though there are non fatal attacks much more recent. A large great white is thought to be responsible. Someone videoed the attack, the video is circulating but reportedly so horrific I`m not about to watch it. I think the swimmer was bitten in half.
After this people are likely to be wary swimming off their boats, even in bays and rivers. I tend to think twice before getting in the water,great whites may be confined to the oceans but there are many other sharks, like the aggressive bull sharks in other waters.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02...ney-swimmers-told-stay-out-of-water/100838406

Years ago I was in Sydney and saw someone swimming in the harbour to raise money for charity. He was actually swimming within a steel cage attached to the side of a boat, something required to protect him from the sharks.

The saying here is “Great Lakes unsalted and shark free”. We used to live in Florida. The rescue helo pilots would tell me that the sharks would be cruising between the swimmers all along the beaches. We actually never saw any but they were there.

Years ago I was in Sydney and saw someone swimming in the harbour to raise money for charity. He was actually swimming within a steel cage attached to the side of a boat, something required to protect him from the sharks.
People swim uncaged in Sydney Harbour every day, I`ve done it, but just one attack as horrendous as this fires concern levels. Bull sharks, smaller but just as aggressive as great whites are sometimes seen in the reaches of the Hawkesbury, where we boat.

A swimmer died yesterday 10M off rocks adjacent to a southern Sydney beach frequented by families, surfers, and swimmers. First death in Sydney in around 60 years, though there are non fatal attacks much more recent. A large great white is thought to be responsible. Someone videoed the attack, the video is circulating but reportedly so horrific I`m not about to watch it. I think the swimmer was bitten in half.
After this people are likely to be wary swimming off their boats, even in bays and rivers. I tend to think twice before getting in the water,great whites may be confined to the oceans but there are many other sharks, like the aggressive bull sharks in other waters.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02...ney-swimmers-told-stay-out-of-water/100838406

I wouldn’t want that video in my head either. Bad enough imagining what happened to that poor guy. Bull sharks can thrive in fresh water. There have been confirmed sightings more than 700 miles up the Mississippi River, near Alton Illinois. We encountered one in Florida larger than the small inflatable we were in and literally close enough to touch. The power that animal exuded was scary.

Couple of years ago,a research team was catching, tagging and releasing bull sharks in the Harbour. They were spoilt for choice with candidates. But, its about 11 years since the last Harbour attack when a Navy diver lost an arm and a leg.
This time of year, until April,warm currents as high as 26C attract fish,and their predators,to the east coast. The splash of this animal falling back into the water is described by a shocked witness as like a car hitting the water.

This was taken from the beach at Kiawah Island, South Carolina last year, a week before we got there. It’s feeding in maybe two or three feet of water. My son’s pretty sure it’s a large hammerhead. Bites from a shark like this would likely be more accidental than intentional. But when this kind of speed and power is in a feeding frenzy, who cares whether it meant to bite you or not?

This was taken from the beach at Kiawah Island, South Carolina last year, a week before we got there. It’s feeding in maybe two or three feet of water. My son’s pretty sure it’s a large hammerhead. Bites from a shark like this would likely be more accidental than intentional. But when this kind of speed and power is in a feeding frenzy, who cares whether it meant to bite you or not?
Looks a BIG shark, impressive speed of movement. Good time to be on the beach.
I wouldn`t be reliant on information filtering out if I saw the vid but, news is the shark attacked vertically. The swimmer wore a wetsuit, half of it found, so possibly mistaken for a seal.

Jaws rooooined me for swimming in the ocean, or anywhere else the beggars might be. Several people swimming in the local Gold Coast residential canals have been attacked by Bull Sharks, one died from the attack.:eek::nonono:

Back
Top Bottom