PredictWind - 50% off (3-day sale)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Just received this in my inbox. 50% off PredictWind packages (HERE).

Guessing they are feeling pressure from combination of Starlink and Windy.com. PredictWind a good product, especially when the only offshore access was IridumGO. Playing field has changed and the use-case for PredictWind has narrowed considerably.

Peter

Last edited:
Just received this in my inbox. 50% off PredictWind packages (HERE).

Guessing they are feeling pressure from combination of Starlink and Windy.com. PredictWind a good product, especially when the only offshore access was IridumGO. Playing field has changed and the use-case for PredictWind has narrowed considerably.

Peter

I would take the view that Starlink has made PredictWind even more useful near shore and unless you are paying the big bucks at Starlink, off shore nothing has changed.

I would take the view that Starlink has made PredictWind even more useful near shore and unless you are paying the big bucks at Starlink, off shore nothing has changed.

In my opinion, PredictWind's value proposition was heavily tied to being accessible anytime/anywhere via IridiumGO, at least at $250/yr. That was a good deal when there were no options for weather products. Now, with Starlink, there are options. PredictWind has value, but $250/yr?

Peter

PredictWind is free, or $29/yr if you want the finer grained forecasts. It's only if you want to get it via Iridium that it costs a lot. Most of the time near shore and civilization you can get it via cell or WiFi. I'd agree with Klee, Starlink just makes that easier.

Depends on where PW makes their money - definitely not on free users as there are no advertisements. Maybe the $30/year subscription is popular - if so, then I agree that Starlink is a good thing for PW.

But I suspect their bread and butter is the $250/yr subscription because it includes departure planning and weather routing functions. It was designed as a compact app to function within the data constraints of IridiumGO. The combination of PW weather data and accessibility via IridiumGO was the killer app. PW is (was?) a major reseller of IridiumGO hardware - pretty tight relationship.

PWs passage planning tools remain very convenient and somewhat unique so there's definitely value, but $250/yr?

Peter

Back
Top Bottom