Older boats in florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keith c

Vessel Name
Princess M
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34
Just heard a rumor that marinas in florida are not allowing transient boats in their marinas, for over night stays, older than 30 years. Asking the brain trust to set me straight.

This change in marina policy might not be widespread but it has spread wide as my marina up here in the wilds of SE. B.C. Canada, last Oct. instituted the same 30 year old, age prohibition for annual moorage customers. They don't offer transient moorage.

It may very well be driven by the marina's underwriters, who would likely reduce their risk by imposing the same rule. It could also be that the marina business is just that good that allowing in newer boats only, is the right business plan.

Either way, if you're an existing customer and you sell your 30 year old boat to a new person, it has to move out.

Ridiculous or prudent? That depends on the boat's condition and the owner's ability to keep it up. Neither of which the marina or the underwriters want to get involved with assessing.

At our marina, as long as you can produce proof of insurance you are fine to stay. I have been to quite a few marinas in Florida and have not even been asked.

Why woulld they ask if your boat appears clean and in good shape ?

Jgwinks, the boat is female and women always lie about their age. TEASE

Just heard a rumor that marinas in florida are not allowing transient boats in their marinas, for over night stays, older than 30 years. Asking the brain trust to set me straight.

Where did you heard this rumor and from whom?

I live in Florida and there are lots of boats in marinas that are 30 plus years old. Some marinas may have that policy but I bet it is selectively enforced.

I live in Florida and there are lots of boats in marinas that are 30 plus years old. Some marinas may have that policy but I bet it is selectively enforced.

Exactly. What dockmaster is going to refuse to take the lines of a gleaming 1958 Trumpy or Feadship?

There is at least one marina here that will not take you for permanent moorage without inspecting the boat. I don't think that is a terrible policy, actually. Even a 10 year old boat can be a floating disaster.

I am somewhat surprised that I have NEVER been asked to show proof of insurance as a transient. Only for permanent moorage.

:iagree:....I got asked for insurance a lot on the East Coast..... but never for age of the boat.

Though this year (and generally has been getting worse) the marinas in south Florida seem packed and at least Ft Pierce City Marina has been changing rules left and right.

I recently looked into a transient slip further south on the Chesapeake for a month stay. They said any boat over 20 years needed to show pics/documentation etc. to prove it wasn't a POS. I simply replied no problem and that I had a hull value of $250k after refit.

I see their issue. My home marina has a rule for all boats, mostly liveaboards that you have to come in under your own power, and you should see some of the absolute crap hole boats that are able to do so.

I recently looked into a transient slip further south on the Chesapeake for a month stay. They said any boat over 20 years needed to show pics/documentation etc. to prove it wasn't a POS. I simply replied no problem and that I had a hull value of $250k after refit.

I see their issue. My home marina has a rule for all boats, mostly liveaboards that you have to come in under your own power, and you should see some of the absolute crap hole boats that are able to do so.

It appears to me you got most the POS’s that got towed out of Harris Creek Marina.

John

Think it was lighthouse point at bo brooks. They kicked everyone out to redo piers and aren't accepting liveaboards back. Anchorage axed liveaboards a year or 2 ago. Only Harborview and Henderson's are available now to the best of my knowledge in the harbor.

We my be looking to move, as our plan did not have us as liveaboards this long, but to be back out cruising. Life/covid has extended our stay here longer unfortunately.

Older Boats in FL

We are busting our asses to get out of FL, never to return so I don't care what they do.

That said, so far from west of Lake O to Titusville no one has asked age or for insurance.

Passing into GA will be akin to getting through Stuart before the RR bridge closure. Happy happy day.

The negative comments about Florida and the urge to flee????

Something wrong with the water , marinas, fishing....etc.. hurricane season approaching.?

Last edited:
The age rule is fairly common at RV parks except the norm is 10 years old.
Many will ask / require pics to confirm reservations.
IMO it is enforced selectively and it's a way to keep the poorly maintained, red neck looking rigs out. I've been asked for pics once in awhile but never refused as we kept our older motorhomes looking good. I have seen old converted busses pull in and spread a tarp on their site to catch the oil drips.

I'm assuming similar with marinas but no first hand knowledge

Why woulld they ask if your boat appears clean and in good shape ?

Just because it looks good doesn't mean the owner can drive it.
Have seen muppets smash $3milion boats and their neighbours boat the first time they tried to get into their berth themselves.

I've never had this problem. My boat is 42 years old and I've probably spent ~50 days as a transient over the last ~3 years.

Just because it looks good doesn't mean the owner can drive it.
Have seen muppets smash $3milion boats and their neighbours boat the first time they tried to get into their berth themselves.

Some marinas are in tourist areas and are an attraction, e.g. those eating at restaurants or walking along the boardwalk enjoy seeing pretty boats.

Some marinas find that they can charge a higher rent with a higher occupancy if the boats are more attractive as some boaters enjoy looking at pretty boats.

I'm thinking about changing marinas and took a pass on one because the boat that would be next to me was just not the view I wanted to have. The owner(s) were, I'm sure, nice folks and all. Not criticizing them. Just preferring the view I prefer.

Of course, in my neck of the woods, I'd take almost any powerboat as a neighbor before a sailboat. Nothing against sailboats, but the birds sure do love them...and the wind always seems to blow my way.

The last four winters we've cruised the east coast of FL down to Key West
staying in a marina each night. Once or twice I've been asked for insurance papers, but never been asked age of boat.

Some marinas are in tourist areas and are an attraction, e.g. those eating at restaurants or walking along the boardwalk enjoy seeing pretty boats.

Some marinas find that they can charge a higher rent with a higher occupancy if the boats are more attractive as some boaters enjoy looking at pretty boats.

Of course, in my neck of the woods, I'd take almost any powerboat as a neighbor before a sailboat. Nothing against sailboats, but the birds sure do love them...and the wind always seems to blow my way.

We had a rather big sailboat spend for more than a few months here. Every time the wind increased, the rigging would “sing”. It didn’t bother me (hard of hearing). I guess it really annoyed not only some boat owners but also the condo occupants. After a few months the sailboat left the marina. No more complaints.
I think the condo owners took the lead on this.

Next step might become no moorage for boat owners over 40 years age...

OMG - Wait till AI takes over in the Insurance Industry... cause... it will be a most calloused underwriter!

:facepalm: :hide: :nonono: :dance: :speed boat:

Unitended consequence will be more boats moored in harbors.

If a marina doesn't as boats age, but asked for insurance proof, don't they know the age?

Wish the marina I mostly use asked for insurance and checked boat conddition. If it did there wouldn't be the derelict eyesore boats that arent paying their bills.

Thread Drift!

The topic of discussion is Older boats in Florida.
If you desire to discuss whether any of the following actions constitute "vandalism":

• boarding someone else's boat to secure lines
  • put additional mooring lines on a boat is that is in danger of sustaining damage or sinking
  • boarding someone else's boat to secure loose gear
please start another thread, and don't hijack the current one.
Thank you for understanding.

Several Off Topic posts have been deleted.

Once again, if you have a post that deals with "older boats in Florida" don't hesitate to post. If you are posting unrelated posts, consider starting a new thread.

This is an interesting thread, please don't force it to be closed.

This seems like a policy that is leaking over from RV Park policies. There, the common policy is "nothing over 10 years old". We encountered this at several RV Parks when we owned one that was 14 or more. What they really wanted was to inspect the RV. We were never refused after inspection. One operator explained that they wanted to see "POO", Pride of Ownership.
I wouldn't expect marinas to be more hard lined than that.

Here in So Cal its hard to find insurance for a 30year plus old boat. Haven't seen them refuse a 30 year old boat for a slip. However the three I've been in have required inspections, registration , and insurance. I do not think there are any marinas in So California that will take a wooden boat.

Back
Top Bottom