Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-07-2017, 07:53 AM   #1
Member
 
chrisv's Avatar
 
City: St. Joseph, Mi
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Molly
Vessel Model: Albin 36' trawler
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 19
Transitioning newbie

So happy to find this forum! My husband and I have been sailing together for 45 years and hope to continue for many more years. Our current sailboat is a Cape Dory 36, built in 1979. We love her dearly, but decided to add a new dimension to our boating experience in our "golden" years. With much excitement, mixed with a bit of anxiety, we are in the process of purchasing an Albin 36' trawler also built in 1979. We would love to hear from other "transitioners" regarding advice, encouragement, and pros and cons of our new adventure! By the way, we live in MI and sail out of Lake MI. Love exploring the Great Lakes!
__________________
Advertisement

chrisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #2
Guru
 
hfoster's Avatar
 
City: Cleveland
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 574
Chrisv.


Welcome. The both of you will get some pretty good info here. The Great Lakes are fun to explore that is for sure. I also look forward to hearing from the both of you and your input on many things.


Cheers.


H.
__________________

hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #3
Member
 
chrisv's Avatar
 
City: St. Joseph, Mi
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Molly
Vessel Model: Albin 36' trawler
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 19
Thank you. We can't wait until next spring/summer when we can go get the boat, now in NY, and sail her in the 1,000 Islands before heading back to MI!
chrisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,886
My biggest advice and listen very carefully....!!!!!!....:

IT IS OKAY TO COMFORTABLE!!!! YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FEEL GUILTY IF EVERYTHING IS PERFECT!!! YOU CAN START THE GENERATOR ANY TIME YOU WISH...IT IS OK...I PROMISE. AND IT PROVIDES SOLID 3 PHASE AC POWER AT 400HZ. WITHOUT ANY WHIRLYGIGS SCREAMING IN THE WIND ABOVE YOUR HEAD.

I REPEAT AGAIN: IT IS OK TO BE COMFORTABLE...NO NEED TO FEEL GUILTY!!!
__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B...Sold
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #5
Member
 
chrisv's Avatar
 
City: St. Joseph, Mi
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Molly
Vessel Model: Albin 36' trawler
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 19
Love it!!! Even got a smile out of my die hard sailor hubby! Thank you! We needed that!!!
chrisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:35 AM   #6
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv View Post
Love it!!! Even got a smile out of my die hard sailor hubby! Thank you! We needed that!!!
You two are just having too much fun... Continue, Continue... CONTINUE!!!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Salish Nomad's Avatar
 
City: Anacortes
Country: Anacortes WA U.S.A.
Vessel Name: Salish Nomad
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 283
My wife and I recently transitioned from a Bill Garden motor sailor to a small DeFever trawler. We have cruised extensively since taking possession in April, including two trips to British Columbia, and many shorter San Juan Islands trips. We expect to be able to use the boat throughout the fall, and winter.
__________________
Dave Thompson
American Tug 34-109
Home Port Anacortes Skyline
Salish Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #8
Guru
 
hfoster's Avatar
 
City: Cleveland
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
My biggest advice and listen very carefully....!!!!!!....:

IT IS OKAY TO COMFORTABLE!!!! YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FEEL GUILTY IF EVERYTHING IS PERFECT!!! YOU CAN START THE GENERATOR ANY TIME YOU WISH...IT IS OK...I PROMISE. AND IT PROVIDES SOLID 3 PHASE AC POWER AT 400HZ. WITHOUT ANY WHIRLYGIGS SCREAMING IN THE WIND ABOVE YOUR HEAD.

I REPEAT AGAIN: IT IS OK TO BE COMFORTABLE...NO NEED TO FEEL GUILTY!!!
Baker that always cracks me up Mate. You are funny!

Cheers.

H.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #9
TF Site Team
 
City: Ex-Brisbane, now Bribie Island, Qld
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 8,164
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
My biggest advice and listen very carefully....!!!!!!....:

IT IS OKAY TO COMFORTABLE!!!! YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FEEL GUILTY IF EVERYTHING IS PERFECT!!! YOU CAN START THE GENERATOR ANY TIME YOU WISH...IT IS OK...I PROMISE. AND IT PROVIDES SOLID 3 PHASE AC POWER AT 400HZ. WITHOUT ANY WHIRLYGIGS SCREAMING IN THE WIND ABOVE YOUR HEAD.

I REPEAT AGAIN: IT IS OK TO BE COMFORTABLE...NO NEED TO FEEL GUILTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv View Post
Love it!!! Even got a smile out of my die hard sailor hubby! Thank you! We needed that!!!
But wait...there's more. If you love the idea of being just a wee bit green, and you miss the quietness of the sailing days, (I was a Yachtie once also), then as you can see in my avatar pic, (see Airbreeze port stern corner, & imagining also some solar panels up on the aft part of the upper deck), you can even have the best of both worlds in terms of power generation, anyway.
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:40 PM   #10
Member
 
chrisv's Avatar
 
City: St. Joseph, Mi
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Molly
Vessel Model: Albin 36' trawler
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 19
Transitioning newbie

Just took our sailboat, Ariel, out for an evening sail. Loving the joys of sailing, but excited about the new adventures that await us aboard our trawler.
chrisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #11
Guru
 
City: Hampton, va
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,003
.????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
My biggest advice and listen very carefully....!!!!!!....:

IT IS OKAY TO COMFORTABLE!!!! YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FEEL GUILTY IF EVERYTHING IS PERFECT!!! YOU CAN START THE GENERATOR ANY TIME YOU WISH...IT IS OK...I PROMISE. AND IT PROVIDES SOLID 3 PHASE AC POWER AT 400HZ. WITHOUT ANY WHIRLYGIGS SCREAMING IN THE WIND ABOVE YOUR HEAD.

I REPEAT AGAIN: IT IS OK TO BE COMFORTABLE...NO NEED TO FEEL GUILTY!!!
400hz?? You must be thinking of aeroplanes.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #12
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,288
Welcome aboard. You will have to get cozy with your new engine. Your joy or discomfort level will fluctuate with the throb of the iron horse Oh and the generator and many other mechanical and electronic systems. In some ways a sailing rig is simple compared to a fully equipped recreational cruising trawler. Another way of looking at it is you will have plenty to do and won't have to worry about boredom. Many skippers here frequently walk around with a stubborn collection of oil and grease under our finger nails.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:54 PM   #13
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv View Post
Just took our sailboat, Ariel, out for an evening sail. Loving the joys of sailing, but excited about the new adventures that await us aboard our trawler.
Boating in any form is simply great!

Be careful with your old flame, Ariel. Break all this change to her gently. She does have a soul and she could get uppity... LOL - sort of...
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:51 AM   #14
Guru
 
hfoster's Avatar
 
City: Cleveland
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 574
[QUOTE=Art;591700]Boating in any form is simply great!

Well put me Irish Bro.

Cheers.

H.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #15
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
400hz?? You must be thinking of aeroplanes.
Hahaha...dammit....I was. The generators on airplanes crank out 400hz "wild cycle" before being transformed/rectified. I think I might be getting old!!!
__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B...Sold
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #16
Member
 
chrisv's Avatar
 
City: St. Joseph, Mi
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Molly
Vessel Model: Albin 36' trawler
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Welcome aboard. You will have to get cozy with your new engine. Your joy or discomfort level will fluctuate with the throb of the iron horse Oh and the generator and many other mechanical and electronic systems. In some ways a sailing rig is simple compared to a fully equipped recreational cruising trawler. Another way of looking at it is you will have plenty to do and won't have to worry about boredom. Many skippers here frequently walk around with a stubborn collection of oil and grease under our finger nails.


Oh dear, now I'm having 2nd thoughts about our purchase! Our son is our mechanic, but he will not be with us on all our excursions.
chrisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #17
Member
 
chrisv's Avatar
 
City: St. Joseph, Mi
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Molly
Vessel Model: Albin 36' trawler
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Boating in any form is simply great!

Be careful with your old flame, Ariel. Break all this change to her gently. She does have a soul and she could get uppity... LOL - sort of...


Yes, Ariel, definitely has a soul! She has taken good care of us for many years and is a classic beauty. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0725.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	68463.
We have told her we love her, but it is more difficult to get around onboard as the years take their toll on us. I think she understands. Our son and his young family will give her many more years of sailing joy!
chrisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:15 AM   #18
Member
 
chrisv's Avatar
 
City: St. Joseph, Mi
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Molly
Vessel Model: Albin 36' trawler
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv View Post
So happy to find this forum! My husband and I have been sailing together for 45 years and hope to continue for many more years. Our current sailboat is a Cape Dory 36, built in 1979. We love her dearly, but decided to add a new dimension to our boating experience in our "golden" years. With much excitement, mixed with a bit of anxiety, we are in the process of purchasing an Albin 36' trawler also built in 1979. We would love to hear from other "transitioners" regarding advice, encouragement, and pros and cons of our new adventure! By the way, we live in MI and sail out of Lake MI. Love exploring the Great Lakes!



Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0757.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	68466
I'm not sure this guy is ready for a trawler. Sailing on his best girl! (Yes, we wives of boat captains know where we stand)
chrisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #19
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv View Post
Yes, Ariel, definitely has a soul! She has taken good care of us for many years and is a classic beauty. Attachment 68463.

We have told her we love her, but it is more difficult to get around onboard as the years take their toll on us. I think she understands. Our son and his young family will give her many more years of sailing joy!
Oh heck, good job - I didn't realize Ariel was staying in the family!

She'll be a happy floater for years to come!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:57 AM   #20
TF Site Team
 
Pack Mule's Avatar
 
City: Paris,TN
Country: USA
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,628
Welcome to TF . Don't worry you're gonna love the trawler. Now you can sit in a real chair and if you want have a covered slip.
__________________

__________________
Marty
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×