Greetings from the Owen Churchill!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ochurchill

Greetings, Everyone,

My name is Jeffrey, and I'm a life-long sailor who recently acquired an 80s vintage Taiwanese trawler. It's an 'Overseas PT 35', and from my perusing of the internet, it's a little unique in that it's a 'Europa Sedan' model and not the more commonly encountered aft cabin with a sundeck version. It was built with a single, massive, Cat 3208 instead of the more commonly found single or dual Perkins or Lehmans propulsion systems.

The boat was used by the California Yacht Club out of Marina Del Rey in Los Angeles for many years as their committee boat for their sailboat races. From its decks 1000s of sailboat races have been run. It enjoyed continuous use and maintenance there at CYC until a member gifted a newer boat to the club about 6 years ago.

The boat is named for Owen Churchill, a famous sailor from 100 years ago who successfully raced Star class boats in the Olympics, and he was an early, key member to the California Yacht Club.

I acquired Owen Churchill from the family of my friend who had purchased the boat from the Club, and he passed away earlier this year. The boat brought great pleasure to him the last few years of his life, and I joined him with other friends on the boat many times for coastal pleasure cruises around Santa Barbara, California.

I'm very adept at messing about with boats and all their systems, ( propulsion, rigging, electrical, plumbing, hydraulic, com, nav, etc. ) but inevitably I come up with questions, and I found that my solutions have come from this website, so I thought I had best 'join the club' as I learn to best operate the boat.

I'm curious about the boat yards where all these Taiwanese built boats emerged. I've seen the identical hull used by multiple brands of boats. From what I can discern from this website, the builder was Cheer Men in Kaohsiung, but that was simply what another member had speculated as the builder of their Overseas PT.

Is there some definitive guide to the builders and boatyards that punched out these yachts in such numbers during the 80s? The Grand Banks boats enjoy a well documented history, but these Taiwanese boats less so. And it seems that no two boats are exactly alike. Some come with teak trim all over the exterior like a gingerbread house, while others, like Owen, are barren with only stainless and gel coat. Was it spec-ed for ease of maintenance or just luck of the draw? Below decks, they're all very similar looking with variances in layouts. Owen is galley down, with built-ins only on port in the salon and, nothing, not even a seat at the steering station, on starboard. I wonder if he was deliberately designed for committee boat work with this austere interior and heavy duty propulsion system.

In any event, greetings, Everyone. I hope to engage with you with my questions here as they arise and see you on the water someday.

-Jeffrey

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TF Jeff. Yes, you are right about the Taiwanese trawlers. Many came out of the same mould, but were finished at different yards. Someone has done quite a bit of research on this regarding the history of it all. Try doing a search for Taiwanese Trawlers using the search button up at top of screen. Someone else might chime in with more assistance also. I used to own one of these called a Clipper 34 here in Oz, but the CHB 34 in the US and Canada. Mine was also the sedan type version, somewhat rare back in the 70s and 80s, as you say. It actually is a great hull to use as a starting point, and no doubt why so many used it. :flowers:

Last edited:
Howdy Jeffrey! Good to have you join TF. Photos - Please - Boat Photos!! - Art

From what I can discern from this website, the builder was Cheer Men in Kaohsiung, but that was simply what another member had speculated as the builder of their Overseas PT.

My trawler was made in the Cheermen yards around 1985. I looked them up on Google and the Cheermen yard is still in business, but not making boats. I found a placard in my electrical closet with the Cheermen label and the hull number. Take a look around and see if you can find such on your boat. Regardless, USA boat designers would order the hull and then outfit/customize them afterwards and market them under different brands. Mine was sold in the US as "Hershine" trawler, but the fiberglass mold was from Cheerman yards in Taiwan.

She's got a GREAT NAME!

Did you know Owen Churchill modernized the swim fin, which was sketched but not put into production by Ben Franklin, with MANY indigenous prototypes likely in use for centuries in places like Borneo?

My late father, a submariner and military-grade swimmer, used to try to drown us...not really but not entirely a joke. Anyway he considered modern rubber swim fins, made exclusively by Churchill's (company, patent buyer) from 1940-47...one of the greatest modern inventions, considering all the fun and serious endeavors "flippers" made faster and safer. The income from the invention provided the Olympian sailor with the means to pursue sailing seriously, mostly based out of the CYC in Marina Del Rey.

Before 1940, the original military frogmen usually swam breastroke, barefoot. One of the greats was Lionel Crabb, a British intelligence officer believed to have been the inspiration for Ian Fleming's fictional character James Bond. Crabb disappeared allegedly while swimming under Kruschchev's visiting yacht ...under mysterious circumstances in 1956. (It's almost certainly not true Crabb defected...there's a noted book about this titled The Last Dive.)

IMAGINE how slow it was to swim on missions before military grade fins!

Fair winds and following seas!

I'm into history, especially marine.

Last edited:
She's got a GREAT NAME!

Did you know Owen Churchill modernized the swim fin, which was sketched but not put into production by Ben Franklin, with MANY indigenous prototypes likely in use for centuries in places like Borneo?

I'm into history, especially marine.

Likewise, so thank you for the Owen Churchill story, which I had not heard before.

As you note, Mr. Churchill bought a US license from the Frenchman who invented and patented the modern swimfin, a former naval officer named Louis de Corlieu. The International Scuba Diving Hall of Fame has a short bio sketch, here:

https://www.visitcaymanislands.com/en-us/isdhf/isdhf-bios/louis-de-corlieu

Back
Top Bottom