Bob and Linda new members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob and Linda

Hi, everyone. My wife Linda and I are about to close on an older (83) Grand Banks 36. I have sailed since I was 13 and Linda has sailed with me since we married. We are excited to begin this trawler adventure and look forward to meeting you in the future. The boat we hope to close on is in Bristol RI, so our first trip will be to bring it home to the St Mary's River just off the Potomac. We look forward to all the good advice and experience you can help us with.

Bob and Linda

Welcome. Our 36 is located in RI. Hull #715. Lots of good advice here. You are going to like that boat!

Welcome aboard!

I have a blog on restoring a 36 Europa, grandbankschoices.

Dig around, lots of GB info, paint colors, etc. Need more PM me.

Lots of work to maintain, but labors of love. Do it right the first time with good materials. Include the wife! Look on the net at boat interiors.

We have seen several that were beautiful.

Welcome Aboard, look forward to pictures of your new boat.

Welcome from another new member here, Goodluck with the GB!

GB survey

Survey for our (hopefully] GB 36 will be on the 16th of Nov. Hope all goes well. We'll let everyone know the results.

Welcome Bob and Linda

Hi Bob and Linda,

Welcome and congratulations on your new (to you) Grand Banks. My 1981 GB Classic is located on Narragansett Bay at Safe Harbor Greenwich Bay. Happy to chat with you any time. I've owned the Katy Leigh for two years now and am very happy with it so far, despite the $$ I've had to invest in her many updates.

I can be reached at katyleigh@protonmail.com if you ever have any questions.

Welcome aboard! The GB36 is a nice boat. We had one many years ago. Hope the survey goes well. Is the one you have under contract a woodie, or fiberglass? What year? Single or twin engine? And once again, Welcome aboard!

The GB in question is a 1983 fiberglass, single engine and no bow or stern thruster. Should be fun.

The GB in question is a 1983 fiberglass, single engine and no bow or stern thruster. Should be fun.

Ours was a woodie, also no bow or stern thruster. Thrusters are not essential, but they do help! Best of luck with the survey!

Welcome, congrats on your new boat and you have a beautiful home port.

Thanks, I think that the lack of thrusters requires you to be more in touch with your boat

That boat will handle beautifully with twins. Same boat with a single handles easily. We do have a bow thruster but I seldom use it. And that is while backing into a slip with a current running through it. I have run many GB’s without a thruster. The least of your concerns.

Gb36

Welcome Bob and Linda, preemptively,
As Cigatoo said, "you are gonna like that boat". We are on year 7 with our GB 36 #819, she has provided much enjoyment and class along the coast of Maine. We, too have a bow thruster but as Cigatoo mentioned, we use it rarely but it's there when we need it.

Good luck with your survey and if all goes well, you won't regret having a Grand Banks. Welcome to the Grand Banks and Trawler Forum family.

Best regards
Mike Dana
Third Reef
36' Grand Banks Classic #819
Potts Harbor Maine (South Harpswell)

Thanks, I think that the lack of thrusters requires you to be more in touch with your boat
The GB36 is one of the most mannerly boats I've ever docked. It is the poster child of the trawler genre and just a sweet handling boat. There's a reason that in 40 years, your boat doesn't have a thruster.

That said, thruster does help approach certain docking situations with more confidence. After 25 years of ownership, I recently added a bow thruster to my Willard 36 displacement trawler. I rarely use it but find just having it helpful. Most common usage is to control the bow while lines are being made-up. BTW, while my Willard is decent at close-quarters, she's not as agile as the GB36.

Good luck with your survey. I'm sure you're aware, but fuel tanks and deck leaks are your top concerns.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom