Tesla Removes Autodrive Feature Of Used Car Remotely.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bizarre. What if Tesla decides, in a year or two, that some features expire in 5 years from delivery? "True, we didn`t tell you but we couldn`t, we`d not decided that when we sold it to you, but we`ve disabled it anyway. But, for a modest $ amount, we will reactivate it for a period we`d rather not stipulate."

This is the dealers problem. He sold a car with features he hadn’t paid for. Now he will be required to pay for the features or refund the customers money.

Bizarre. What if Tesla decides, in a year or two, that some features expire in 5 years from delivery? "True, we didn`t tell you but we couldn`t, we`d not decided that when we sold it to you, but we`ve disabled it anyway. But, for a modest $ amount, we will reactivate it for a period we`d rather not stipulate."
Heh. Looking a little farther down the road, how much hardware/software support will there be? The utility and safety of the car is entirely dependent on comlex networked proprietary hardware and software that was developed in a Silicone Valley startup culture and continues to evolve rapidly. At some point just maintaining security patches across every version is going to become challenging.

https://teslatap.com/?s=what+hardware+version+do+I+have

Love the cars, and what Tesla has done for the entire auto industry.

Greetings,
Reprehensible IMO. One would hope when you buy ANY vehicle it is yours in it's entirety to use/abuse. This also opens up the possibility of hackers taking control of a vehicle whilst it may be under way at high speed to cause an accident. Techno-murder?

It may evolve the way of software and music--you don't actually "own" it but have a license to use. Might have to buy an annual subscription to be able to drive your car and get updates. Maybe a date comes when they will no longer support software Version x.x
Get calls from Pakistan wanting to log into your car and "fix it"

Reading the article, it sounds to me like it’s Tesla’s problem. They sold the car (used) to the dealer, with the features advertised as included. So purchased fairly, in my book. Maybe the original owner got a free ride, but Tesla subsequently sold those features to the next buyer, and can’t now take them back.

Greetings,
Reprehensible IMO. One would hope when you buy ANY vehicle it is yours in it's entirety to use/abuse. This also opens up the possibility of hackers taking control of a vehicle whilst it may be under way at high speed to cause an accident. Techno-murder?

This would also be my concern. It WILL happen as security breeches are pretty common today.

Lots of info will be recorded , miles so one can pay by the per mile fed taxes, speed in skool zones , red light and stop compliance . Tickets or automatic deduction from checking to follow.

George Orwell had no IDEA!

Lots of info will be recorded , miles so one can pay by the per mile fed taxes, speed in skool zones , red light and stop compliance . Tickets or automatic deduction from checking to follow.

George Orwell had no IDEA!

Exactly, and what Orwell didn't get is that this hasn't been done TO US, we have all voluntarily signed up for it. Or at least some of us have. Go figure...

Exactly, and what Orwell didn't get is that this hasn't been done TO US, we have all voluntarily signed up for it. Or at least some of us have. Go figure...

Worse - we will pay thousands for it!

Kind of like owning a boat, the check writing never stops.

Seems like Telsa needs to buy back the car at the price the consumer paid for it or be subject to false advertising penalties.

Ted

Seems like Telsa needs to buy back the car at the price the consumer paid for it or be subject to false advertising penalties.

Ted

The thing is; they sell the car at one price and the add one are subscription based. If the car is sold on without the subscription they don't get those attributes.

Similar to Sirius/XM.

I think that within the next 5-10 years you will no longer own a car, but the only option would be to lease.

The thing is; they sell the car at one price and the add one are subscription based. If the car is sold on without the subscription they don't get those attributes.

Similar to Sirius/XM.

Agreed. But according to the article, Tesla said the car included those features when they sold it to the dealer.

I think that within the next 5-10 years you will no longer own a car, but the only option would be to lease.

In the future, it will be illegal to actually manually drive a car yourself on public roads. To drive a car you will need to go to a separate facility (e.g. race track) to be able to drive a car. I expect that there will even be model towns closed off from general access that people will pay to drive around like the good ol' days. As people who used to drive cars regularly die off, these driving parks will fade away.

This will first occur in larger cities in Europe.

This will actually be a boon to elderly and handicapped people.

We already have thousands of driverless cars in Florida in the winter.

They aways seem to have a blinker on as well.

Orwell couldn't imagine a day where people would ever willingly and freely give up this much freedom unless forced to do so. He got a lot of things right, but he sure got that wrong.

GM already says you may own the physical car, but you only license the software that makes it run. I'm sure that there is a mechanism that they can limit your use of the software. Read the EULA.

GM already says you may own the physical car, but you only license the software that makes it run. I'm sure that there is a mechanism that they can limit your use of the software. Read the EULA.

That's a real risk, especially as software becomes more and more a subscription/rental of a license, not a perpetual license.

Maybe I’m missing something here! What does Tesla have to do with trawlers, especially being most of us have older boats anyway!

Maybe I’m missing something here! What does Tesla have to do with trawlers, especially being most of us have older boats anyway!

Who on here said that Tesla had anything to do with trawlers?

Sometimes I feel like I have entered the Twilight Zone on here!

This might help:

"Harbor Chat Posting Rules and Guidelines
Friendly, professional, informal exchange of "NON-boating" topics. Political comments, government policy, weaponry, religious and social issue discussions are off-limits in this forum."

Back
Top Bottom