I gotta change my avatar photo.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
As most of you know, Beachcomber is gone and out of the proceeds comes our new-to-us land yacht....

Monaco-1.jpg

It's a 2008 Monaco Cayman with a 350hp Cummins diesel pusher. Sleeps 4, full galley, single bathroom (Can't call it a head any more) with a large stand up shower, queen bed in the back with a sleep by number mattress. Oh, and an Onan 8KW gen.

In some respects it is just like a boat. Instead of it being a hole in the water you pour money into, this is like a large chuckhole you do the same with. So far it's 4 tires on the back axle $1400, 2 house batteries $450, 4 coach batteries $450, wash job $55, and a detail to be done this Friday.

At least it gets 9mpg not the .9mpg the boat got. :socool:

Congratulations , that is a sharp looking rig !

She’s a beauty alright. And a nice upgrade from all whit exterior paint job too!!!
Congrats Mike and Tina, where ya off to on your first trip?

J&T

As most of you know, Beachcomber is gone and out of the proceeds comes our new-to-us land yacht....

Have you picked out the dinghy yet? What sort of anchor? ;)

The dinghy will be GW's GMC Terrain for now and we haven't planned any trips yet. The first couple of trips will probably be overnighters. GW's mom is 105 and has some serious dementia so we can't take off on any long trips.

The dinghy will be GW's GMC Terrain for now and we haven't planned any trips yet. The first couple of trips will probably be overnighters. GW's mom is 105 and has some serious dementia so we can't take off on any long trips.
Ok GFC you are officially a dirt dweller.

Your dink is called a TOAD....

Monaco-1.jpg

It's a 2008 Monaco Cayman with a 350hp Cummins diesel pusher. Sleeps 4, full galley, single bathroom (Can't call it a head any more) with a large stand up shower, queen bed in the back with a sleep by number mattress. Oh, and an Onan 8KW gen.

In some respects it is just like a boat. Instead of it being a hole in the water you pour money into, this is like a large chuckhole you do the same with. So far it's 4 tires on the back axle $1400, 2 house batteries $450, 4 coach batteries $450, wash job $55, and a detail to be done this Friday.

At least it gets 9mpg not the .9mpg the boat got. :socool:

Wifey B: Beautiful new boat you have. You can so call it a head if you want to. Hope you get to enjoy it soon. We did our first and only RV'ing over our Christmas trip to NC, mainly to avoid hotels and restaurants and restrooms and were shocked at how pleasant but ours was only in a Mercedes Sprinter, a toy by comparison to yours. Bothered greatly not to have twin engines. :rofl:

When while parking you pause to change from fwd to reverse, you`ll find it stays where you stopped it until you move it again. This may take getting used to.
Congrats, it looks great.

And the real bonus for handling is it has brakes!

Don’t forget to get your Golden Age Passport to the National Parks.

Congratulations on the land yacht! For those still still on the water getting the .9 mpg, consider both burn about 6gph at normal cruise speed[emoji846]

Looks great and it can really double as a yacht.... but only once.

So now you have to name her. Do they name land yachts? Oh well do the same procedure as you would do for Beachcomer.

My I suggest a new name: Land Luber"

Ummmm my Galley Wench has already picked out a name for her. She's going to be officially known as and christened as "Red Stripe" in honor of one of my favorite beers. It's a Jamaican beer that you just don't find everywhere. GW picked that name almost as soon as she saw her because of the red stripes on her.

Congratulations on the land yacht! For those still still on the water getting the .9 mpg, consider both burn about 6gph at normal cruise speed[emoji846]
Interesting observation. I would have to say that your calculations are correct because I didn't check your math. I will say that the RV is getting that .9mpg while doing 65mph, not 6.5mph. :socool:

Ummmm my Galley Wench has already picked out a name for her. She's going to be officially known as and christened as "Red Stripe" in honor of one of my favorite beers. It's a Jamaican beer that you just don't find everywhere. GW picked that name almost as soon as she saw her because of the red stripes on her.

Wifey B: That should get you pulled over regularly by any law enforcement that knows the name. :rofl:

Land yachts here tend to be less glitzy,more bus than coach conversion. Often towing a small car, I guess to be mobile without taking "the big bus" for side trips, shopping, dinner, etc. Is towing a car common in USA? And, is a standard drivers license ok or do you need more?

Bruce no special driver's license is needed to drive a motor home though I have my CDL (Commercial Driver's License) and am rated to drive a 40' school bus. (That was a part time job for me until I got cancer and had to quit driving)

Towing a car or light truck or SUV is pretty common. They're referred to as "TOAD's" here and I'd bet most RV's have a TOAD behind them.

Our first short trip will be Saturday. We're picking up our grandsons from their baseball games then they're going to spend the night with us. Of course that will involve me sleeping in the RV with them. That will be followed by the usually pancake breakfast on Sunday morning (eaten in the house, not the RV)

Last edited:
Bruce no special driver's license is needed to drive a motor home though I have my CDL (Commercial Driver's License) and am rated to drive a 40' school bus. (That was a part time job for me until I got cancer and had to quit driving)

Towing a car or light truck or SUV is pretty common. They're referred to as "TOAD's" here and I'd bet most RV's have a TOAD behind them.

Our first short trip will be Saturday. We're picking up our grandsons from their baseball games then they're going to spend the night with us. Of course that will involve me sleeping in the RV with them. That will be followed by the usually pancake breakfast on Sunday morning (eaten in the house, not the RV)

Wifey B: Why not in the RV. Proof of concept. :)

Land yachts here tend to be less glitzy,more bus than coach conversion. Often towing a small car, I guess to be mobile without taking "the big bus" for side trips, shopping, dinner, etc. Is towing a car common in USA? And, is a standard drivers license ok or do you need more?
Re license... the answer is it depends on where you live & register. It varies by state and usually depends on rated gross wt but a few states it depends on length. Some require CDL (commercial DL), many have a "special" non-commercial license or endorsement and a few require nothing more that a "normal" DL required for an auto. For more see below and for exact details need to check with your state DMV (be forewarned that many DMV reqmts are pretty confusing and the clerks often provide incorrect info.)

https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv-special-drivers-license-requirements/

It's a land yacht. You may indeed call the bathroom a "head". You may also want to fly an ensign from the stern.

We did the same 3 years ago ,after living aboard in the keys. Ours is a 34T winnabago Forza and looks much like yours, in size and set up. We have been full time for 3 years with a home base in Ft. Lauderdale for doctors and such. RV is stored in a RV resort that we bought and can build a port on. Have 45 acres in Alabama and we built a port there so we can stage before going out for the summer and a stop coming back south. The olny thing that's differant from RV and boating, is the RV will not sink at that camp ground.

Attachments

• IMG_0550.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF7833.jpg
    DSCF7833.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 18
Ya' gotta admit, there's something to be said for being able to pull over to the side of the road, and not sink! Definitely a land yacht.

Yeah, 105 but 106 is questionable. We see her about 2x a week. Lately she has been going downhill. We saw her today and the change was remarkable. The only way to describe her behavior would be delirious. She was screaming at us and at the TV (it was showing a program about Jesus) and said I was in the program. No, not Jesus but a narrator.

We've never seen her like that and it was frightening. She's fallen twice in the past 3 days and just brushed them off saying "so what?"

I fear the end might be sooner than we had thought.

Yeah, 105 but 106 is questionable. We see her about 2x a week. Lately she has been going downhill. We saw her today and the change was remarkable. The only way to describe her behavior would be delirious. She was screaming at us and at the TV (it was showing a program about Jesus) and said I was in the program. No, not Jesus but a narrator.

We've never seen her like that and it was frightening. She's fallen twice in the past 3 days and just brushed them off saying "so what?"

I fear the end might be sooner than we had thought.

Wifey B: Sadly it sounds like something serious is going on right now and you have to ask yourselves two very difficult questions. First is can anything be done. Second is do you want to do anything.

I've witnessed what you're describing. Unfortunately, the only way to prevent falls at this point is bed ridden except with help, taking away her last semblance of mobility and freedom. With the mental issues, I'd have questions about her eating and drinking and nutrition. Aspiration pneumonia is very common in her condition as one just doesn't pay attention to swallowing properly or forgets how to.

Now, also one thing I'd check for immediately and have the onsite or visiting doctors do. It really sounds like a UTI. They impact every aspect and mimic so many conditions but they are the most common cause for a sudden change in mental state and over 15% of the women in long term care have them. That's a today check it out kind of thing as that is treatable. Other mental changes are less so.

I know it's tough. Just one thought I want to leave with you. I firmly believe it's tougher on family than the person themselves. Like brushing off the falls, they accept this is just life today. They just do their best and each day is their new normal. You see the change and miss who they once were. Just keep whatever palliative care they have so they don't suffer while addressing any injuries and changes in the best way you can. Best of luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom