ban may be keeping some from entering marine industry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, you're talking about using it while on commercial boats. Nobody is saying it should be ok to be under the influence of ANYTHING while on a boat. This thread is about following rules & the affect of residuals still being in your system even though use was hours or even days & weeks prior to testing. Don't be so uptight!
:rolleyes:

No, you're talking about using it while on commercial boats. Nobody is saying it should be ok to be under the influence of ANYTHING while on a boat. This thread is about following rules & the affect of residuals still being in your system even though use was hours or even days & weeks prior to testing.

AND, we are talking about it being consumed in a state that has legally approved its recreational use.

Bottom line is that one needs to understand their workplace rules, fair or unfair as they might be.

Is there any waiver for use of medical marijuana? Medically, it is a lot less dangerous than the use of prescription opioids.

Jim

The real issue, is not realizing, or admitting, what a hold any illegal drug has on you, when you continue to use it, at the risk of losing your job.

I love chocolate, and think it's great. But, if it was illegal, and/or a threat to my job, freedom, or family life, I would never eat it again. But, so many marijuana users are unable to do that. Why that is so, should be the issue. More are addicted than care to admit that fact, I imagine.

It was most likely the union that made them take him back.

It was not the union. Unfortunately for the company and the family, the first drug case (years ago) for the company involved a protected minority. EEOC held for the employee.

It was not the union. Unfortunately for the company and the family, the first drug case (years ago) for the company involved a protected minority. EEOC held for the employee.

AND the EEOC's explanation for this failure to protect the public was??????

No, you're talking about using it while on commercial boats. Nobody is saying it should be ok to be under the influence of ANYTHING while on a boat. This thread is about following rules & the affect of residuals still being in your system even though use was hours or even days & weeks prior to testing. Don't be so uptight!

English?

.............. State law only goes 3 miles out.

But Coast Guard Jurisdiction is everywhere. I have been boarded by the CG many times in a 17' bowrider within spittin distance of shore. The launch ramp where I went in was about a half mile from Coast Guard Station Gloucester. They were everywhere....not just 3 miles out. In California I think they are also on Lake Tahoe as it is considered "interstate water" ( the lake is in CA and NV )

Last edited:
It was most likely the union that made them take him back.

My Union has a strict drug/alcohol testing policy in collaboration with our employers to limit the effects of drug and alcohol abuse in the workplace. It includes pre-employment drug testing, random screening, and post accident screening. The pre-employment and random screening is administered by our union, and the post accident screening is administered by the employer. An employee can also be subject to screening from reasonable suspicion by trained supervisors of drug or alcohol impairment while on the job. This is about safety. We do not want impaired employees endangering themselves, or fellow employees while on the job. This is a condition of employment. All employees are made aware of these rules upon hiring on. I would never jeopardize my employment to get high...although in my youth, I was not so wise!

Correct? Not understanding the point trying to be made. Is the point to tell your employer to not be so uptight when you fail a drug test?

You flunk a drug screen your CDL is history unless and maybe if you undergo drug rehab and pass the next couple of drug tests. Then, assuming the company keeps you, they throw you into the random drug screen 'bucket'.

I waiting to see if the states where pot is decriminalized / legalized see an increase in traffic accidents and deaths with high drivers. What I'm wondering is, when it's legal and socially acceptable, do people end up smoking more in locations that require driving home at some point. Clearly it's been a problem with alcohol since the repeal of prohibition. Will impaired accident numbers spike with legalized use?

Ted

Yes Ted and I am watching to see if there will be an increase in opiate addition. I understand how others feel but from personal experience in our family, pot served as a gateway to stronger stuff. In neighboring NH there is a terrible scourge that has resulted in many young deaths caused by overdoses. My strong feeling is that drugs ruin families and I give zero support to pot. As to alcohol, that when abused can be almost as bad without the overdose problems and crime needed to support habits. And no, I do not use alcohol in any form and never tried any illegal drugs, pot included.

If you have to pass a drug test, the only thing you should have at your party is alcohol. I'm not going to argue feelings, I'm just stating facts from federal law. You want to work on the water? Don't do drugs and drink (if you want) at home. It's not going to change any time soon.

I agree....my section you quoted was referring to our business practices outside of the marine industry. If you're working on the water, the laws and rules are clear. If you have to pass a drug test in any industry on weed, better not smoke it for 90 days. Our employees in our primary business have no drug tests.

Yes Ted and I am watching to see if there will be an increase in opiate addition. I understand how others feel but from personal experience in our family, pot served as a gateway to stronger stuff. In neighboring NH there is a terrible scourge that has resulted in many young deaths caused by overdoses. My strong feeling is that drugs ruin families and I give zero support to pot. As to alcohol, that when abused can be almost as bad without the overdose problems and crime needed to support habits. And no, I do not use alcohol in any form and never tried any illegal drugs, pot included.

The data to this point shows a decrease in opiate consumption and deaths in states that have legalized pot. I don't know if that will hold long term. I think of pot as a gateway drug too, but it isn't for everyone. Alcohol is also a gateway drug.

You're right that alcohol and drugs destroy lives and families.

What if an employee lives in a dry county and works in a wet one? Should she be fired if she tests positive for drinking beer over the weekend, but comes to work sober? After all it is a crime to consume alcohol where she lives and evidently it is the employers job to enforce the law and to choose which laws they enforce (state, local, federal).

It is a federal crime to consume MJ anywhere.

I do agree with you that the current level of testing can’t differentiate between being currently under the influence vs having used it in days prior. Hopefully that will be resolved soon.

I live in a state that has legalized recreational MJ. There are LOTS of my fellow Washingtonians that are using a large amount of MJ. I would prefer that accurate testing could help ensure that they are not operating under the influence while doing their jobs or operating vehicles.

It is a federal crime to consume MJ anywhere.

I do agree with you that the current level of testing can’t differentiate between being currently under the influence vs having used it in days prior. Hopefully that will be resolved soon.

I live in a state that has legalized recreational MJ. There are LOTS of my fellow Washingtonians that are using a large amount of MJ. I would prefer that accurate testing could help ensure that they are not operating under the influence while doing their jobs or operating vehicles.

Dave - MJ even has the testing quotient "spaced out" - LOL! :popcorn: :socool:

BTW folks... Life is the gateway to drugs... let's not kid ourselves by blaming drug use or overuse on a/any drugs themselves!

Drug use is not necessarily because of a/any specific drug - life is.

This includes - The general stress of life as well as plain ol' bawdy "fun times" with friends, and, of course depression, not to mention sickness as well as monkey-see monkey-do of youngsters growing up in families/arenas where some sort of drug is used too openly [i.e. over used].

And, yes, ALCOHOL is the most prevalent "legal" fun-drug in the world... seems MJ may soon follow suite regarding "legal" fun-drug as well as prescription-drug prevalence. Of course opioids are a whole other "BIG Business / Government Sanctioned" story with some doctors too often used as, [succumbing to becoming] prescription-drug dealers.

Now... let's get down to the nitty gritty of "Why" any type if drug is used [or overused]: Answer is to alter physical feeling, change mental perception, cure sickness or, maybe, to simply get really "fcked-up"!

So... that brings us back to "Life is the gateway to drugs." Of course any drug used can be termed the stepping stone to some other type of drug use. And, any first used drug can be termed the "gateway" that opened doors to a person for more and varied types of drug use; that sometimes gets [spirals] out of control. But - It Is Life's Conditions and just how bad anyone wants to [or needs to] alter their personal inner [physical, mental, emotional] conditions/realities that is the real "Gateway" to any type of drug use... be it controlled usage or over usage of any drug or group of drugs that sometimes manifests in a person's life.

I'd rather be boating! :speed boat: :thumb:

Last edited:
I also have people close to me benefiting from medical marijuana.

It would be good if in conversations, the definition of "medial" were clarified. I submit that hemp plant cultivated specifically for medical purpose is free of THC.
The medical product that currently is carried under 'Natural Supplement' is CBD oil. This is the segment sought in the consumption of smoking Marijuana where the 'Highs" of THC is present.
The breakthrough of being able to grow THCless hemp and extract the CBD component at a .003% THC volume, will prove Marijuana testing with a "No THC" or highs measurement.
My immediate family including myself and wife, plus friends, utilize CBD to reduce or in most cases, eliminate ache and pain (Joint and muscle). I have witnessed a reduction in my diabetic numbers, as well blood pressure.

Best to leave it at that and this site as an introduction or educational moment.

https://draxe.com/cbd-benefits/

Al-Ketchikan

not the picture I am given....med marijuana has THC in it as used my friends and the CBD oil was useless for their issues....but I know some benefit from CBD oil only.

so one size doesnt fot all and REAL med marijuana with THC is the problem from what nightmare I am living.

illegal by the Fed Govt, necessary for possibly millions of patients that get relief but it puts them and others in harms way from federal law.

But what the heck, lets make opioids easy to get and transport compared to med marijuana.

Last edited:
use West Marine epoxy injectors, they now price match.... :)

But what the heck, lets make opioids easy to get and transport compared to med marijuana.

Well Psneeld, seems we either are in somewhat agreement or not. Sorry you did or do not receive a level of relief with CBD oil (or Balm) over THC. Being able to deal with pain without fear of addiction with using opiates one may resort to this duel of over the counter relief:

Drugstore pain pills as effective as opioids in ER patients - StarTribune.com

Again Psneeld, our family have applied two, Tylenol and Ibuprofen at the same time and achieved rapid relief from aches and pain. Now understand, the use is the rare need. CBD oil on a daily basis achieves blanket continued relief from arthritic aches and pains.

Do carry on with what works for you, just that there are alternatives without the consequences attached.

Regards- Al-Ketchikan:flowers:

just correcting the error that med marijuana is grown with reduced or no THC ....where we come from, much of it is....

and pointing out the THC is necessary for some to get more immediate relief from their diseases and that CBD oil did nothing for them...tho others swear by it.

Maybe they didnt give it long enogh to work...they just switched back to THC laden pot.

Me. the only drugs I take are a hald dozen aspirin a year and Happy Hour in moderation. :)

Last edited:
just correcting the error that med marijuana is grown with reduced or no THC ....where we come from, much of it is....

and pointing out the THC is necessary for some to get more immediate relief from their diseases and that CBD oil did nothing for them...tho others swear by it.

Maybe they didnt give it long enogh to work...they just switched back to THC laden pot.

Me. the only drugs I take are a hald dozen aspirin a year and Happy Hour in moderation. :)

:flowers::thumb:

A question for the "it's against federal law and that's that" folks: now that John Boehner is an investor and spokesperson for a cannabis grower in a "legal" state, should he be arrested for conspiracy to grow and distribute a Schedule 1 narcotic?

Last edited:
I don’t know about that!!! Would there be enough clean needles to go around? :rofl:

Most of our nations opioid addicts are folks who got exposed to them by taking medically prescribed pills for legitimate injuries, not junkies shooting up under a bridge somewhere. Those poor souls are out there, but for for every one of them there are hundreds of people popping legally sourced pills and tablets that they cannot quit.

Most of our nations opioid addicts are folks who got exposed to them by taking medically prescribed pills for legitimate injuries, not junkies shooting up under a bridge somewhere. Those poor souls are out there, but for for every one of them there are hundreds of people popping legally sourced pills and tablets that they cannot quit.

That would be a hard sell to a parent that just lost a teenager from an overdose. Such occurrences happen too frequently. There is no easy answer for solving the drug problem unless severe punishment is adopted such as that in China or in any of the many countries that have a death sentence for pushing drugs.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. f. "There is no easy answer for solving the drug problem..." On the contrary, there is a VERY easy solution to the ongoing drug problem and increased punishment is NOT it.

Look up "US war on drugs" and I very much doubt you will find anyone that is of the opinion that the billions of $$ spent and the countless lives destroyed both by overdose and incarceration has been anything short of an abysmal failure.

https://web.stanford.edu/class/e297c/poverty_prejudice/paradox/htele.html

Back
Top Bottom