Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-24-2023, 02:53 PM   #1
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,740
Trident Anchor Chain?

Anybody using it? Planning to buy 300+ ft of 3/8” G4. I’ll get a sample from the dealer first to check on the gypsy. I see better prices on it vs ACCO and assume it’s Chinese, but has met ISO standards.

I’d appreciate any direct knowledge/experience with it.

Thanks in advance.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 04:18 PM   #2
Guru
 
City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 1,766
I see nobody has chimed in on this, surprisingly enough.
I donít have direct experience with that chain, but I have a certain amount of experience using different metals made in china. Iíve found the mechanical properties of their metals to vary to the extreme higher and lower limits of their expected ranges. Iíve seen this in regards to hardness, tensile strength, and weld ability.
If youíre a fair weather boater, and wonít really stress the chain often itíll probably last your lifetime. But on the other side of the coin, if you are thinking you may be weathering out storms on that chain, I might hesitate.
The anchor system as a whole isnít the place I choose to use budget products.
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 09:32 AM   #3
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,740
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like no one has used Trident windlass chain for anchoring. Also, Iím told the ISO label deals with dimensional standards rather than tensile strength. Agree with you that anchor chain is not a thing I want to cheap out with.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 11:30 AM   #4
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,740
Interestingly, I received this chain certification today from E-Rigging, which indicates tensile strength and working load limits. Iím interested in the 3/8Ē G43 hot-dipped galvanized, second from the top on the list. Any metallurgists out there who might tell me how much credence to give a report like this?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Chain Certificate.pdf (187.2 KB, 34 views)
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 12:41 PM   #5
TJM
Senior Member
 
City: Essex, Ct.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 1982 41' President
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 436
I would have very little faith in an "Inspection Certificate" such as this one.
There is no certifying body such as ISO 1704-2008, No authorizing signature, Mr Li is printed. The blue stamp just states origin.
There is no chain of custody, which says this chain and the results were sold to _________.
I have dealt with foreign material certifications in Aerospace for years, this one has a few loose ends.
__________________
Tom
"Harmony"
1982 41' President
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 12:55 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
freshalaska's Avatar
 
City: Skagway Alaska
Vessel Name: Nowitna and Serenade
Vessel Model: Schucker and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom sailboat
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 149
Ask eRigging to test it.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 03:32 PM   #7
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJM View Post
I would have very little faith in an "Inspection Certificate" such as this one.
There is no certifying body such as ISO 1704-2008, No authorizing signature, Mr Li is printed. The blue stamp just states origin.
There is no chain of custody, which says this chain and the results were sold to _________.
I have dealt with foreign material certifications in Aerospace for years, this one has a few loose ends.
Thank you for the informed comments. E-Rigging says the chain meets ISO G43 specs. I donít know what that meansódimensional specs, tensile strength or all of the above. E-Rigging says theyíve been carrying it for years without problems, but I donít want to make a mistake with ground tackle.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2854.jpg  
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 09:37 PM   #8
Guru
 
City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 1,766
I tend to agree with tjm. There are some things about that document that raise more questions than answers them. The iso designation speaks to dimensions and pull strength. But, there arenít really any iso police to enforce the standard, the manufacturer simply says that they meet it.
Iím also a little confused at the g40 on the ďcertĒ. I thought g40 was dropped in 2005 or thereabouts and it was rolled into the g43.
Plus, the chemistry on the same cert lists a whole bunch of different chain at different chemistry. Are these just the averages they manufacture to? Did they list a heat number for your batch of chain? I didnít see it. I ran a heat treating facility for many years, and our level of documentation far exceeded what Iím seeing here.

While this chain could be just fine, and really, would most likely never be an issue unless you rode out a hurricane or something, but would you always wonder if it was as reliable as domestic?
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 06:17 AM   #9
Guru
 
cafesport's Avatar
 
City: Miami
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 799
I’m due for chain again but I’ll stay with acco/peerless.
__________________
Via iOS.
cafesport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 11:42 AM   #10
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmarler View Post
I tend to agree with tjm. There are some things about that document that raise more questions than answers them. The iso designation speaks to dimensions and pull strength. But, there arenít really any iso police to enforce the standard, the manufacturer simply says that they meet it.
Iím also a little confused at the g40 on the ďcertĒ. I thought g40 was dropped in 2005 or thereabouts and it was rolled into the g43.
Plus, the chemistry on the same cert lists a whole bunch of different chain at different chemistry. Are these just the averages they manufacture to? Did they list a heat number for your batch of chain? I didnít see it. I ran a heat treating facility for many years, and our level of documentation far exceeded what Iím seeing here.

While this chain could be just fine, and really, would most likely never be an issue unless you rode out a hurricane or something, but would you always wonder if it was as reliable as domestic?
Thanks. Even though I never deliberately anchor out in rough weather, it will likely happen. Iím just not going to roll the dice. Iíll stick with Acco/Peerless and sleep better.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 12:32 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
freshalaska's Avatar
 
City: Skagway Alaska
Vessel Name: Nowitna and Serenade
Vessel Model: Schucker and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom sailboat
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 149
Consider Titan chain rode. Sold by Fisheries Supply in Seattle. Says proff tested.
Think this what I’ll buy soon.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 12:33 PM   #12
Guru
 
City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 7,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
Consider Titan chain rode. Sold by Fisheries Supply in Seattle. Says proff tested.
Think this what Iíll buy soon.

Titan is made by Canada Metal Products who also manufacturers Rocna anchors. I'd consider their stuff trustworthy.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 03:42 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
City: berkeley
Vessel Name: formerly owned Puffin/Lilliana
Vessel Model: Willard 30/40
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 125
3/8 g4 sounds like overkill for your 41ft vessel. i think your windlass will tear off the deck and your snubber will break before you even reach the load limit for 5/16 g4. Remember it is the weakest link that determines your safety.
we sleep without worry when using a 25kg rocna, 5/16g4 chain, 40ft 3/4" snubber in 50k winds.
rpackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 10:42 AM   #14
TF Site Team
 
Shrew's Avatar
 
City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpackard View Post
3/8 g4 sounds like overkill for your 41ft vessel. i think your windlass will tear off the deck and your snubber will break before you even reach the load limit for 5/16 g4. Remember it is the weakest link that determines your safety.
we sleep without worry when using a 25kg rocna, 5/16g4 chain, 40ft 3/4" snubber in 50k winds.
To me the chain weight has more to do with catenary, than it's breaking limit. The more chain on the floor the better.
__________________
Shrew
/SHro͞o/
noun
1. A small insectivorous mammal resembling a mouse, with a long pointed snout and tiny eyes.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 12:25 PM   #15
TJM
Senior Member
 
City: Essex, Ct.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 1982 41' President
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 436
I have 300' of 5/16 G4 on my 41" Trawler with the 25Kg Rocna and it has never failed. Also pulling it with a Lofrans Tigres. As the Shrew has mentioned above, the chain is about catenary and chafe protection.
__________________
Tom
"Harmony"
1982 41' President
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 12:28 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
City: berkeley
Vessel Name: formerly owned Puffin/Lilliana
Vessel Model: Willard 30/40
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 125
Most analysis shows that there is no longer much catenary in winds greater than about 25k. So in high winds you rely on anchor holding, breaking strength of rode/snubber/deck combination and scope. Even a heavy kellet is not as efficient as placing an equivalent weight on the anchor.

Heavy chain cold be very useful in deep, crowded anchorages such as in British Columbia in peak season.There, if you don't use a shore tie you better have very short scope to avoid dirty looks from your neighbors. Fortunately those anchorages are very sheltered.

'Nuff said.
rpackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 12:33 PM   #17
Guru
 
City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 7,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpackard View Post
Most analysis shows that there is no longer much catenary in winds greater than about 25k. So in high winds you rely on anchor holding, breaking strength of rode/snubber/deck combination and scope. Even a heavy kellet is not as efficient as placing an equivalent weight on the anchor.

Heavy chain cold be very useful in deep, crowded anchorages such as in British Columbia in peak season.There, if you don't use a shore tie you better have very short scope to avoid dirty looks from your neighbors. Fortunately those anchorages are very sheltered.

'Nuff said.

Agreed. Catenary effect is much more significant in deep water, but in shallower water, you need a heck of a lot of very heavy chain for it to become significant.

And yes, an extra 20 lbs in the anchor is far more useful than 20 lbs of heavier chain.

Personally, I take the attitude that chain is for chafe resistance, anchors are for holding. So chain shouldn't be bigger and heavier than required for strength, as that allows you to carry a heavier anchor and fit more chain in the locker (especially on boats with smaller chain lockers or where weight in the bow is a concern).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 01:06 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
freshalaska's Avatar
 
City: Skagway Alaska
Vessel Name: Nowitna and Serenade
Vessel Model: Schucker and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom sailboat
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 149
The above two posts nailed it.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 01:47 PM   #19
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpackard View Post
Most analysis shows that there is no longer much catenary in winds greater than about 25k. So in high winds you rely on anchor holding, breaking strength of rode/snubber/deck combination and scope. Even a heavy kellet is not as efficient as placing an equivalent weight on the anchor.

Heavy chain cold be very useful in deep, crowded anchorages such as in British Columbia in peak season.There, if you don't use a shore tie you better have very short scope to avoid dirty looks from your neighbors. Fortunately those anchorages are very sheltered.

'Nuff said.
No, catenary is a function of scope ratio, depth, and wind / waves /current. To say catenary is gone at 25 knots of wind without listing the other components is silly.

Consider a vessel anchored in 15' of water. With 4:1 scope the catenary is likely gone with 25 knots of wind. At 7:1 there's likely still a curve to the rhode. At 10:1 there's no chance that the catenary is gone.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 08:38 AM   #20
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpackard View Post
3/8 g4 sounds like overkill for your 41ft vessel. i think your windlass will tear off the deck and your snubber will break before you even reach the load limit for 5/16 g4. Remember it is the weakest link that determines your safety.
we sleep without worry when using a 25kg rocna, 5/16g4 chain, 40ft 3/4" snubber in 50k winds.
Thanks for the thoughts, all.

rpackard, our boat is a 44 weighing +/-50,000 lbs with half tanks and gear and 3/8Ē chain is common for this model. The Maxwell Nilsson windlass is sized for 3/8Ē so thatís what Iíll be looking for.

I would never allow the windlass to bear the load from anchoring. The actual strain from our bridal/snubber goes on a pair of cleats that are pretty robust on a DeFever.

Ultimate breaking strength of the 3/4Ē bridle us 16,700 lbs. 5/16Ē G4 chain has a published breaking strength of 11,700 lbs while 3/8Ē, at 16,200 lbs, is much closer to the bridle. All that said, I hope never to be in conditions that test any of this.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012