Anchor shopping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are lots of choices and opinions and I'll keep mine to myself except for this one. When choosing an anchor, cost would be the least significant factor for me making a decision. There are better places to look to save money.

jclays. I’m a VM little late but I was an original Bruce man for years but have switched to a Spade (130 lbs) and it is far superior to my old Bruce anchors. I really like the Spade.

Buy a Mantus, pricey but you won't regret it.

We had a Mantus on our sailboat and we'll never own any other anchor. Ever. It was the best. We went through a derecho in the Bahamas and never dragged. Broke the bow chock, but the anchor held firm. It doesn't matter what Trawler we finally end up on, whatever anchor is on it will go to Craigslist and a Mantus will replace it.

Thanks for the input. Very familiar with the original Bruce. Never let me down. If I don’t like it on my trawler I can easily sell it and get a Spade.

What works perfectly for one person doesn't mean it works for another. There's a big difference in the bottom terrain where we all anchor. For me, I need something that holds in weedy limestone. I certainly wouldn't recommend to somewhat anchoring in mud.

If you want a good suggestion for an anchor, describe what type of bottom you anchor in.

"If you want a good suggestion for an anchor, describe what type of bottom you anchor in."

Since a cruising boat can not know the bottoms he will see, a variety of anchors is required , along with a variety of anchor lines.

Thanks for the input. Very familiar with the original Bruce. Never let me down. If I don’t like it on my trawler I can easily sell it and get a Spade.

The Spade seems to be the grandaddy of scoop/rollbar type anchors. I’ve often thought about it as the Ideal anchor. It’s possible it’s true.

The concave fluke was introduced by the french designer and the shank is (despite it’s long length) very optimum. As in low drag.

Many here have said the Spade and the Vulcan are the same. Not so. The length/width ratio (aspect ratio) is at least quite different but the most different component of the two anchors is the shank. With the Vulcan you get strength and w the Spade you get efficiency. But I don’t know what metal the Spade shank is made of. Reflecting the high price it could be high alloy steel and even stronger than the Vulcan. But the Vulcan looks very strong.

And ARA of Australia said nix on the mud scooper concave fluke and made the SARCA that is slightly convex. The highest holding power anchor I have I have is a flat fluke anchor. And the SARCA seems to set very quickly and without hesitation. Over time I’ve had lots of trouble w anchors setting and no trouble holding.

Last edited:
Where I usually anchor it is usually grey mud/sand combo to pure sand. usually 50ft deep on average.

Good conditions for a Claw as I see it.
50’ deep will usually put you at short scope and a good Claw may do well at short scope .. depending on the Claw .. and other variables.
But it sounds like the substrate will be friendly too. Mud and some sand. Too much sand tho and I’ll bet it’s game over. See FF’s #37.

The Spade seems to be the grandaddy of scoop/rollbar type anchors. I’ve often thought about it as the Ideal anchor. It’s possible it’s true.

The concave fluke was introduced by the french designer and the shank is (despite it’s long length) very optimum. As in low drag.

Many here have said the Spade and the Vulcan are the same. Not so. The length/width ratio (aspect ratio) is at least quite different but the most different component of the two anchors is the shank. With the Vulcan you get strength and w the Spade you get efficiency. But I don’t know what metal the Spade shank is made of. Reflecting the high price it could be high alloy steel and even stronger than the Vulcan. But the Vulcan looks very strong.

And ARA of Australia said nix on the mud scooper concave fluke and made the SARCA that is slightly convex. The highest holding power anchor I have I have is a flat fluke anchor. And the SARCA seems to set very quickly and without hesitation. Over time I’ve had lots of trouble w anchors setting and no trouble holding.

+1 for the spade.

we've had a spade for 15 years. it's performed very well. the only negative, imo, is in the construction. the housing over the lead is rather thin steel which has deteriorated over the years. part of the problem is that the back of the bottom is an open cavity which holds sand and mud.

Duetto,
Yup most all anchors w concave flukes bring up mud.
And other cavities.

For some reason (I assume) I rarely had mud issues in Alaska. ?

I’m not impressed w the Lewmar either but quite a few seem to get good consistent performance. Notably Mark (w the Coot) and “FlyWright” have had years of good service w the Claws. The reason of course is the river and estuary mud bottoms. A perfect match for the Claw it seems.

Yes, knock-off claws have served me well. Set fast and hold despite frequent tidal current changes in the great San Francisco estuary (bays, straits, rivers, sloughs).

Attachments

• IMG_2024_zpspht0ausq.jpg
    IMG_2024_zpspht0ausq.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 15
will be very happy with my original genuine Bruce.

Back
Top Bottom