MFD size versus number

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SANAUH

Vessel Name
Serengeti
Vessel Make
NPY 450
I am having a new NPY45 built and working through various options for electronics. Knowing there will be plenty of opinions out there interested to hear if others would configure it with a Garmin 8612 and a 8612xsv at the PH and a two 8612s on the FB, or a 8616 and a 8616xsv at the PH and a single 8616 on the FB? As with most things, trying to juggle cost against value.

The plan for the boat is 2x around the Great Loop and then relocate to PNW. All coastal and inland cruising, no BW crossings.

I prefer as much screen real estate as possible.

Partly because that (for me) usually offers a better combination of chart context and detail at the same time... and partly because when using split screen modes, each of the splits can be a more useful size.

Can't say, relative to your boat, but for example if I had a choice of 2x 16s versus 2x 12s... I'd go for the 16s... and mentally amortize the cost over the period of our ownership. $1/day, or some such. :)

-Chris

I would go with Furuno. More options, more map updates and they update there firmware longer.

My second choice would by Simrad.

Garmin is a good unit and had it in my last boat. But that would be my third choice.

IMO, there's a lot to be said for a second display (PC) with another manufacturer's mapping software. When I Looped in 2017, I ran Polar Navy (no longer in business) with NOAA charts. Currently switching to Coastal Explorer with a NEMA 2000 interface. While you can have backup navigation on a smartphone or tablet, I prefer a larger screen if actually navigating with it.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom