Deck/Spreader LED Light Recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbu22

Guru
Vessel Name
Panache
Vessel Make
Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Need some good advice. I have two 12v TACO LED spreader lights that I use to downlight the aft deck on the boat. Roughly an 11’ x 12’ area. The spreader is about 12’ above the deck. One is about dead. The other is fine. They are about 6 years old.

I went to order a replacement and found that TACO no longer has them. Looked on line – no trace. Found what looks like the current TACO replacement - Taco Metals 6W LED Spreader Light ($60 at West) – that all the marine supply places carry it. Except, in reading the user reviews, I keep finding users griping about failures due to the low/no weather integrity – apparently the unit has air vents that, when the lights are directed downward as mine will be, let rain accumulate in the housing and eventual leakage and failure.

I know I can get $200-300 units like the big boys use on working boats. They would probably light my deck like an operating room. I assume they’re pretty good but a little more spendy than I want or need. Anyone have a recommendation for, say, a <$100 LED unit?

Appreciate the help.

Bill

Bill,

We are in the same predicament, though I don't know the brand of ours. We also have the powder coating coming off. They are operating but on their last legs, so I will follow along...

Cheers

I've been searching for a good set of marine-rated solar lights for a similar purpose. Have only been able to find the cheap ones from China thus far.

Need some good advice. I have two 12v TACO LED spreader lights that I use to downlight the aft deck on the boat. Roughly an 11’ x 12’ area. The spreader is about 12’ above the deck. One is about dead. The other is fine. They are about 6 years old.

I went to order a replacement and found that TACO no longer has them. Looked on line – no trace. Found what looks like the current TACO replacement - Taco Metals 6W LED Spreader Light ($60 at West) – that all the marine supply places carry it. Except, in reading the user reviews, I keep finding users griping about failures due to the low/no weather integrity – apparently the unit has air vents that, when the lights are directed downward as mine will be, let rain accumulate in the housing and eventual leakage and failure.

I know I can get $200-300 units like the big boys use on working boats. They would probably light my deck like an operating room. I assume they’re pretty good but a little more spendy than I want or need. Anyone have a recommendation for, say, a <$100 LED unit?

Appreciate the help.

Bill
One of those might be my review. I bought a set off Amazon. Supposed to be waterproof but had vents on the back!! Returned immediately. I wound up replacing my old Perko SS spreader light bulbs with LED replacement bulbs that have been working great for a couple years.

Attachments

• RKL_0566.jpg
    RKL_0566.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 76
re: replacing incandescent bulbs with LED's. Some cruisers report significant interference with vhf transmission with the cheap LED replacements - rope lights especially. The LEDs from Marine beam are higher quality (reflected in price) but are reported to be interference free.

One of those might be my review. I bought a set off Amazon. Supposed to be waterproof but had vents on the back!! Returned immediately. I wound up replacing my old Perko SS spreader light bulbs with LED replacement bulbs that have been working great for a couple years.

The trick with Perko spreaders (the metal round kind) is there's two different versions. One used a wire spring to hold the bulb in the fixture. The other uses a flexible plastic split-ring. The latter doesn't leave enough room for the LED replacement bulbs. So check first to see which kind you've got. If you see a black retaining lip you should be fine. If you see a white/metal ring you may not be able to find a drop-in LED replacement bulb that will fit.

As for vents, I've often wondered what's worse, vents that allow intrusion or plugging them up and risking issues with condensation.

Much appreciated. Need to read up tomorrow.

Have spreader lights. They're a desirable option. Pursue solution!

I bought lights just like these 4 years ago. I put them on the bow as fog lights, but now use to see anchor chain when it's coming up or to highlight hull if anchored in some busy place.
In any case, no light failure, but notice the mild steel bracket will rust quickly.
This winter I will replace, two for bow and two fro spreaders for $24.
Sorry, can't beat that.

https://www.amazon.com/YITAMOTOR-Lights-Driving-Waterproof-Warranty/dp/B01HM2L9LW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1535191844&sr=8-8&keywords=led+fog+lights+round

Last edited:
You can't beat it! I just can't get their configuration to work in my case without more work than I want to do.

Went with the Marinebeam 15w spreader light. Supposedly IP 67 rated. 304 brackets as well. Looks like I won't need any new holes drilled.

Appreciate the help and thoughtful suggestions.

I bought these on amazon almost three years ago for $15 a pair.

First, take all the steel hardware that comes with them and go to the chandler for stainless replacements (will cost more than the lights!)

Second, if there is RF interference, I've never noticed. I rarely use the spreader lights, and when I do, it's unlikely I'll be on the radio.

Finally, at about one-tenth the price of even the cheapest "marine" lights, I won't feel bad if I only get three years out of them.

I bought these on amazon almost three years ago for $15 a pair.

First, take all the steel hardware that comes with them and go to the chandler for stainless replacements (will cost more than the lights!)

Second, if there is RF interference, I've never noticed. I rarely use the spreader lights, and when I do, it's unlikely I'll be on the radio.

Finally, at about one-tenth the price of even the cheapest "marine" lights, I won't feel bad if I only get three years out of them.

Look at the Marinebeam lights, your math is way off. I do understand that a lot of TF folks are more interested in initial costs vs total cost of ownership.

The Rigid Marine series is powder coated, has SS hardware, and the electrical connections are bombproof. They are designed for the marine environment, if you want them to work, keep on working, and give you good performance they are hard to beat!

Look at the Marinebeam lights, your math is way off. I do understand that a lot of TF folks are more interested in initial costs vs total cost of ownership.

Marine Beam: $69 each = $138 for two (plus shipping)
Amazon: $13.19 for 2 (free shipping options available)

$13.19 is less than one-tenth of $138, by my calculation.

But I am very interested in TCO, too.

Mine have lasted three years so far. Assuming they fail tomorrow, that's $4.40 per year TCO. The Marine Beam pair for $69 would have to last 31 years to equal that TCO. Put another way, I'd have to use them until 2049 to break even.

4339-albums438-picture4686.jpg

4339-albums438-picture4687.jpg

Back
Top Bottom