Capstan Motor overheating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil23

Vessel Name
MV Unique
Vessel Make
Salthouse Coastal 35
My old faithful Capstan gave up the ghost so have installed a new Maxwell VW10.
The wiring configuration is different to my previous winch and I am having a few issues which I would appreciate comment on:

I have not used a Maxwell reversing solenoid as the set up that exits is more that adequate for the new winch, any comment on why I should not use it.

When attempting to wire up the winch went very slowly and the motor got hot, would this indicate too smaller cables, voltage drop or incorrect wiring up. I am unsure of the mm2/AWG of the existing cables however they appear to be adequate as draw is same as old unit.

I would like to solve thus one myself without bringing "the man" in as to me it is all a learning curve.

First place I would start is disconnecting the wires and run it off a 12 volt battery to verify you didn't accidentally get a 24 volt unit. Second, you might consider running the unit with a volt meter hooked to the motor to measure voltage. Low voltage can be caused by several things including bad batteries, bad battery cables, insufficient cable size, worn solenoid contacts, bad cable connectors and connections. First is figuring out if it's the motor or the power going to the motor.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom