Blynman Canal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff F

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I am thrilled to discover a canal that I never knew existed, and am thinking of heading through as I travel south from Maine.

Any advice or experience? Weather looks good for getting it, and I'm comfortable with currents up to 3 knots.

Jeff

if you get too close to the party fishing boats or the whale watch boats it turns into a washing machine. If it's late in the afternoon on a weekend there will be a lot of trailer boats jockeying for position at the boat ramp that you may have to deal with. I used to go through it all the time in the boat in my avatar.

if you get too close to the party fishing boats or the whale watch boats it turns into a washing machine. If it's late in the afternoon on a weekend there will be a lot of trailer boats jockeying for position at the boat ramp that you may have to deal with. I used to go through it all the time in the boat in my avatar.

Very busy on a summer weekend! Should be quiet now. They're rebuilding the railroad bridge and the canal may or may not be closed for construction activities. Gloucester harbormaster should know.

We went through the Blynman Canal this past summer on our way north from Gloucester. We walked over to observe the bascule bridge at the entrance to the Annisquam River. It was wild that day with swift current and a lot of turbulence from the boats powering through the narrow passage. We read a post the next day about a man who sets up his chair and watches boats going through while recording them. He often captures the wrecks and posts them online! So.. we waited until the next day (a week day) and then waited for slack tide, got in line behind two other boats also waiting. The bridge opened and boats exiting are allowed through first, We went through without issue and the trip on the Annisquam is serenely beautiful. Advice: time your passage with slack tide, the railroad bridge can be ab issue also, its a 90 degreee turn in a narrow space without great visibility of what may be coming toward you. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Marcy
Albin 34 1986
Cape Cod

I've run it probably a couple hundred times over the past 50 years. It's a beautiful run, especially this time of year.

Maybe two years ago it was dredged do depth won't be an issue. But it's very important to keep track of the markers and stay in the channel. some of the turns are not what you might otherwise expect, and the channel doesn't always go where you would expect. But that's why god invented nav markers, so just follow them.

Good point earlier about checking the status of the rail road bridge.

There is little current except the cut through the Blynmann where it can get up 4+ kts and leave standing waves. It can get ugly when lots of boats plow through in the summer, but you will be luck to have any other boats with you, so not really a problem. But if you can, transit all of it +/- an hr of high or low tide.

You will almost certainly need an opening of the Blynmann bridge. Just call on Ch 13. As you are approaching the bridge after passing Cape Ann Marina (assumes heading south), don't go beyond the area where there is marsh on your stbd side. Where the stbd side narrows and becomes rock, the current picks up and will pull your towards the bridge, assuming a ebb tide. It's much easier to hold station back a little further.

Once the bridge opens, traffic from the river to the harbor (southbound) takes priority to clear the channel approaching the bridge. Then north bound traffic can enter the river and have the channel clear. But again, it's unlikely you will see any other traffic this time of year.

Once out in the harbor, run all the way to the BC buoy. Don't be tempted to cut across to starboard. It will end, but not well. But again nothing that isn't clearly marked on your charts.

Just went through. Thanks all.

I'm in Cocktail Cove just off Manchester. The last two pics. Easy to get in to the nice anchorages this time of year :)

I slowed down a bit coming in to avoid going through the bridge at peak ebb, and there was no drama. Nice segment. 20211117_125337.jpg20211117_130306.jpg20211117_130408.jpg20211117_130547.jpg20211117_131902.jpg20211117_135547.jpg20211117_161528.jpg20211117_161543.jpg

People that have never been thru it don’t understand you can’t just put thru,gotta juice it up in that rip tide

I'm in Cocktail Cove just off Manchester. The last two pics. Easy to get in to the nice anchorages this time of year :) I slowed down a bit coming in to avoid going through the bridge at peak ebb, and there was no drama. Nice segment.

The sixth photo in that series of eight shows a white, three-decked cruise boat hauled out. Now called the Beauport, she is the ex-Lady Anderson, built at Freeport Shipbuilding in 1993. Used to run summers in Panama City Beach, and winters in St. Petersburg, FL, when I was her skipper and full-time boat husband for a few years. Hard to believe she's almost 30 years old now.

Back
Top Bottom