Who's changing your zincs during covid 19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Derik

Vessel Name
Pearl Grace
Vessel Make
Marine Trader/Sun Deck 44
We are on complete lock down here in San Diego, not supposed to be seen anywhere near our boats nor have anyone working on our boats. All boat yards are closed, no work allowed by anyone, deemed not essential.

So meanwhile who's changing your zincs where your located at? How soon do we have before, rudders struts and the like will be worthless once the zincs are depleted?

How long have your anodes lasted in the past? How long since your last change? Subtract and you have your answer.
We are on complete lock down here in San Diego, not supposed to be seen anywhere near our boats nor have anyone working on our boats. All boat yards are closed, no work allowed by anyone, deemed not essential.

So meanwhile who's changing your zincs where your located at? How soon do we have before, rudders struts and the like will be worthless once the zincs are depleted?

Thanks, I can do that. Let me rephrase my question. How long will my unprotected items last without zincs?

The Port of SD closed the bay down, but essential services like divers to change your zincs are still allowed. As an aside, A red tide moved in a few days, the water is murky and vis worse than normal.

Regarding how long, the burn rate is dependent on a lot of factors. Roughly speaking you should get about 6 months on them in our area.

Thanks, I will have to check with my diver it maybe just our marina has not allowed them? My boat is at Driscolls, the boat yard is completely shut down and we have been told if we even try to use the bathrooms we will be turned in for Trespassing and not to be at the Marina at all.

Is it in the water at Driscolls? Some divers have their own skiffs. Maybe you could find one to tie up to your boat, jump in, clean your hull and do the zincs...with permission of the yard as an essential item. It would be best if you have the zincs to give the diver if possible or he may have to return later with the proper sizes.

After we took the boat out, before the shut-down of the bay, I called the diver to replace my two transom zincs. We will be going down on Wednesday, to check it. Our yacht club is closed but we still have access to our boats.

I always buy double lots of anodes when we come out and pre drill them ready to bolt on.
Easy to do when down there with hookah.

At home I usually have all the zincs ready to go at least a year ahead.

Even without our favourite bug I got caught several years ago because my suppliers ran out of one of the sizes I needed.

We are not closed down to that degree but I just had a diver check by boat and he changed one of the shaft zincs.

Call your diver and see what he thinks, says.

Yeah, I just heard back from my Diver my marina is not allowing anyone in unless it's an Emergency. With 30 old boats nobody allowed to even check on them is an Emergency waiting to happen. Here in California covid 19 restrictions is no longer about health and safety.

You may own the boat, but you don't own the docks, marina, etc. So they can absolutely block access. They can't prevent you from dinghying in and removing your boat or anything like that, but they can certainly lock the gates.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am guessing there is something in my contract but not sure. My buddy who is an attorney said it's definitely and over step by the Marina but I don't want to push it just want my zincs changed prior to corrosive damage.

As a stop gap measure, if you can get your boat, buy the biggest zinc you can find, probably a transom zinc, tie it into the boats bonding system with good quality electrical cable, drop into the water and tie off to a stern cleat. Provided your boat is properly grounded/bonded, it will tide you over.

Good news, the Marina had sent out two e-mails in regards to the shut down. The more recent one listed divers and required maintenance as exceptions to the closure! So I notified my diver he as I was a little confused on what could or couldn't be done.

Just another reason to get setup to dive your own boat! Resized_20180831_133916.jpeg

Luke, you may just as well have a blindfold on in that water!!!:rofl: :rofl:
Yep.....on the best days down here, visibility is less than a foot.[emoji15] I just work with my eyes closed anyway...I know what a barnicale feels like when I'm cleaning, and replacing shaft zincs easy to do by feel.[emoji41]

Yep.....on the best days down here, visibility is less than a foot.[emoji15] I just work with my eyes closed anyway...I know what a barnicale feels like when I'm cleaning, and replacing shaft zincs easy to do by feel.[emoji41]

Provided you bring at least TWO extra screws and one Allen wrench into the water with you:nonono: I always saved the screws from the old zincs as I invariably dropped at least one while putting on the new zincs.

I don't understand how a marina can block access to YOUR boat to do a health check. I can understand them closing facilities due to not wanting to expose staff to others. Have you gone down and checked the gates to see if you CAN get in.. I would and tell them to go pound sand if they give you crap.

Just because somebody tells you you cannot do something doesn't mean they have the right to , or can enforce it.

I'm not advocating going down and sunning on the upper deck or doing the teak whilst chatting it up with the neighbors here but I doubt they have the right to bar you from your property, especially if damage may occur.
HOLLYWOOD

As a stop gap measure, if you can get your boat, buy the biggest zinc you can find, probably a transom zinc, tie it into the boats bonding system with good quality electrical cable, drop into the water and tie off to a stern cleat. Provided your boat is properly grounded/bonded, it will tide you over.

For me, that is my main method for galvanic corrosion protection. One 6 x 12 x 1'' aluminum hull mounted anode that lasts the season. I have everything bonded to that anode including the trim tabs and shafts via shaft brushes.

I leave nothing to guess work by measuring my system's performance with my silver-silver chloride half cell. Things have remained fine for over 10 years and counting.

The Marina is in Mission Bay and doesn't allow live aboards but you can stay on your boat a few days a week under normal times. Next to the Marina is a boat yard also owned by the same company with a gate that all tenants have a card key for because that is where the rest rooms and office is for the Marina.

So the sign says at the gate to the Marina under compliance with the Government Orders the Maria is closed. Or something to that affect, and the bathrooms are closed and if caught on the Surveillance cameras inside the "boat yard" you would be arrested for Trespassing.

This sign is in conjunction with several e-mails so I am not 100 percent sure on the wording but after reading the last e-mail it appears that divers and some tasks are seen as essential and are ok to do what they need to do.

I go there, once a week, I don't stay long go alone and never get close to the few people I do see there and I don't go into the yard, office or restrooms. I not only feel like I have the right to check on my investment but also that i am being responsible to prevent a problem that could jeopardizes the bay or the Marina.

On a side note, my buddies boat in West Seattle Marina burned to the ground/water a week or so ago his was one of many in what he described as a dock fire. I am not sure what their policy is but something like this could happen to boats just sitting for a month or more without someone checking on them.

I wonder if someone went to their marina to check their boat after receiving a texted "high water alert" or some such, who would be liable if the boat sank? Could be something as simple as a tripped circuit breaker to the bilge pumps, if wired that way, and a leaking shaft seal that over time could sink the boat . . . easily corrected if owner is allowed to practice due diligence and check up on his/her boat.

Rent reduction

A few people at the marina are questioning this and the closure of the bay to everyone and threatening us if we go out into the Ocean to pull us over and come a board. It's actually on the City Of San Diego website. They employ both the Harbor police and the Lifeguards.

So why pay full slip rental? really what are they supplying other than a parking spot??

I had a similar thought as I wrote a check for 6,000 dollars to the County of San Diego this week for property taxes. What's the money for? No Schools, No County Services, limited road work..

I think if the ones making these shut down rules shared in the pain they may use a little more common sense.

Force Majeure

I am guessing there is something in my contract but not sure. My buddy who is an attorney said it's definitely and over step by the Marina but I don't want to push it just want my zincs changed prior to corrosive damage.

Ask your buddy if a Force Majeure can be argued wherein you don’t have to pay slip rental since you’re being denied access.

Divers are still working in San Diego. We are at Cabrillo Isle and our diver has been coming as usual. He would be the one who changes our zincs when they need it.
Joy
M/V Tidings of Joy
DeFever 52 Euro
San Diego, CA

West Marine lists magnesium (for fresh water) and aluminum (for salt and brackish water) as well as zinc (for salt water) versions of this "sacrifish"...
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/martyr--clamp-on-grouper-anodes--P000485144?recordNum=6
You might need more than one so that you can position them between your underwater fittings and other galvanic sources.

The complete lockdown in San Diego must be incredibly frustrating.
At our marina, the office and one of the washrooms is out of bounds to non-employees but the docks are open and yacht maintenance people are working. Everyone practices social distancing and applies soap and water or hand sanitizer after touching door levers, etc. (Since our social distance is 2 metres or a hockey stick at arm's length, we are at least 6.67 inches safer.:lol:)
Boats are coming and going from the marina all day and many people (including us) spend part of every few days on their boats either doing all those little projects that never get done or just relaxing - or both.
The border is, of course, closed as are most marinas in BC waters...
https://waggonerguide.com/covid-19
Pretty much all the usual cruising and other "vacation" destinations in BC waters have asked people to stay away due to limited medical facilities and fuel and grocery challenges.
It seems to me that the difficulty with lockdown rules is that no one has ever had to make them up before so they err on the side of caution. I guess that's not all bad but, as time goes on, perhaps logic will prevail.
For example, the BC marine parks are closed but you can hike the trails and moor to a buoy for the day not not overnight. Once you've moored to a buoy, what difference does it make if you stay overnight? The only drawback I see is that there's no one to collect the $14CAD fee. However, you can anchor nearby for nothing.
Our ground tackle is going to get a workout this season.
Be safe.

Denial of Science

Our leaders kept saying "we will go with the science" Well the data is in levels have been low and getting lower, yet we still have all the restrictions in place and they seem to be taking more and more away from us. This past weekend apparently the County of San Diego found out there members or a private golf course golfing so now that's closed. Golf has been off limits since March 16 but this was private property not a municipal course.

My diver did come down! Boat bottom is clean and zincs done! Bay is closed but can't even fish off the back of my boat when it's in the Marina.. pretty sure this is no longer about a virus.

Our leaders kept saying "we will go with the science" Well the data is in levels have been low and getting lower, yet we still have all the restrictions in place and they seem to be taking more and more away from us. This past weekend apparently the County of San Diego found out there members or a private golf course golfing so now that's closed. Golf has been off limits since March 16 but this was private property not a municipal course.

My diver did come down! Boat bottom is clean and zincs done! Bay is closed but can't even fish off the back of my boat when it's in the Marina.. pretty sure this is no longer about a virus.

I'm interested in where you are getting your data (above in red). Pretty much everything I am reading (this being 21 April 2020) is stating the opposite . . .

Back
Top Bottom