Old 04-17-2021, 10:58 AM   #1

City: MIAMI
Veneer Strips

I need to cut out some soft wood in a couple places on my Marine Trader. What is the name & type of wood of these veneer strips? Cheapest place to purchase them?
Attached Thumbnails
20210417_115355.jpg  

ERTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:37 PM   #2

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
That might be solid planks, not veneer. If veneered, it would have solid edge strips to allow the edge treatment that you see. Either way, you will likely need to either get a pro that does marine woodworking, or learn the job yourself. It will probably involve milling the planks and finishing to match the existing. Not necessarily a big job but does requires some woodworking skills. I don’t know of any off-the-shelf solution for that.

guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:51 PM   #3
Guru

City: Clearwater, Florida USA
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Hardin Europa
What is the distance from groove to groove?

https://www.vintagewoodworks.com/v-groove.html

4-1/4" x 3/8" Mahogany v-groove with an "extra center v-groove", a standard, selectable option, matches some that is about 2-1/8" x 3/8".
gkesden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:55 PM   #4
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
That is called "ceiling" and was traditionally made from cedar. Hard to tell from the picture but it could be cedar. Are you cutting it out or replacing it?
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:18 AM   #5

City: MIAMI
The strips are 1-3/4" wide X 3/32" thick and they are multi-ply. There is no grooving system, they appear to just be glued down shoulder to shoulder.

Unfortunately I need to replace a few strips because they are soft enough to stick a finger in. If they were just stained, I wouldn't care.
ERTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:29 AM   #6
FF
Guru

The usual ceiling is screwed or glued to strips of wood on the hull to allow air to circulate , this avoids leaks or condensation from rotting the wood.

Have someone decide what wood was used and go to a wood specialty shop and purchase a thick plank and have them cut it to the thickness to match your wood.

A simple hand tool will allow you to round the edges uniform;y , or paying to have a router round the edges for you would take no time or effort.

Many finishes have a stain built in , try to match the color on some scrap.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...CABEgKTmfD_BwE
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #7

City: Anacortes
I've a friend who took all the wood out of a couple of TT's before they went to the crusher. I thought that it all looked teakish.
I'd think the likelihood of matching whatever some Taiwan boatbuilder used 40 years ago is impossible.
Your best bet is to take a piece to your local hardwood dealer and ask him what to do.

sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote