Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2021, 10:58 AM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 179
Veneer Strips

I need to cut out some soft wood in a couple places on my Marine Trader. What is the name & type of wood of these veneer strips? Cheapest place to purchase them?
Attached Thumbnails

ERTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:37 PM   #2
Senior Member
guy with a boat's Avatar
City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 254
That might be solid planks, not veneer. If veneered, it would have solid edge strips to allow the edge treatment that you see. Either way, you will likely need to either get a pro that does marine woodworking, or learn the job yourself. It will probably involve milling the planks and finishing to match the existing. Not necessarily a big job but does requires some woodworking skills. I don’t know of any off-the-shelf solution for that.

guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:51 PM   #3
City: Clearwater, Florida USA
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Hardin Europa
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,348
What is the distance from groove to groove?

4-1/4" x 3/8" Mahogany v-groove with an "extra center v-groove", a standard, selectable option, matches some that is about 2-1/8" x 3/8".
gkesden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:55 PM   #4
City: San Francisco
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,625
That is called "ceiling" and was traditionally made from cedar. Hard to tell from the picture but it could be cedar. Are you cutting it out or replacing it?
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:18 AM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 179
The strips are 1-3/4" wide X 3/32" thick and they are multi-ply. There is no grooving system, they appear to just be glued down shoulder to shoulder.

Unfortunately I need to replace a few strips because they are soft enough to stick a finger in. If they were just stained, I wouldn't care.
ERTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:29 AM   #6
FF's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21,844
The usual ceiling is screwed or glued to strips of wood on the hull to allow air to circulate , this avoids leaks or condensation from rotting the wood.

Have someone decide what wood was used and go to a wood specialty shop and purchase a thick plank and have them cut it to the thickness to match your wood.

A simple hand tool will allow you to round the edges uniform;y , or paying to have a router round the edges for you would take no time or effort.

Many finishes have a stain built in , try to match the color on some scrap.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #7
Senior Member
City: Anacortes
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 343
I've a friend who took all the wood out of a couple of TT's before they went to the crusher. I thought that it all looked teakish.
I'd think the likelihood of matching whatever some Taiwan boatbuilder used 40 years ago is impossible.
Your best bet is to take a piece to your local hardwood dealer and ask him what to do.

sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012