Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-25-2021, 01:14 PM   #1
Guru
 
LeoKa's Avatar
 
City: Bainbridge Island WA
Vessel Name: Ironside
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts design, custom built, steel, sailboat hull, single CAT 3306 Turbo.
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 596
Top layer paint removal, how?

I want to paint the topside next month, when the boat is pulled out at the yard for bottom paint/zincs/etc.
The top layer (white) on the upper side is peeling off heavily. The primer underneath the white, is a black paint and very solid. Iíd like to keep the primer unharmed. What is the best way to remove the top layer?
I took down some of it with high pressure wash, but it is very slow and not all sections can be removed. See photo.
This morning I tried a heat gun, but the top paint did not even get soft.
So, what method any of you would recommend? I will have few days on hard.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0472.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	114840
__________________
Advertisement

LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:15 PM   #2
Guru
 
City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 3,236
I'd try sanding it and see how readily it comes off. The color change should make it easy to see how far to sand.
__________________

rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
Guru
 
LeoKa's Avatar
 
City: Bainbridge Island WA
Vessel Name: Ironside
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts design, custom built, steel, sailboat hull, single CAT 3306 Turbo.
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I'd try sanding it and see how readily it comes off. The color change should make it easy to see how far to sand.


I will not have the time and equipment to sand. Plus, I want the black to stay intact.
LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:21 PM   #4
Guru
 
City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoKa View Post
I will not have the time and equipment to sand. Plus, I want the black to stay intact.

Time and equipment is the issue. Keeping the black intact with an orbital sander would be easy. Just sand the white areas and when it turns black, that area is done.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #5
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 11,167
I would probably sand it off. I suspect that you will need to prime the area first before painting anyway. I would ask the paint manufacturer and follow their instructions to the letter. That is likely the reason for the paint peeling now, maybe wrong primer or improper application. Good luck.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:26 PM   #6
Guru
 
LeoKa's Avatar
 
City: Bainbridge Island WA
Vessel Name: Ironside
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts design, custom built, steel, sailboat hull, single CAT 3306 Turbo.
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Time and equipment is the issue. Keeping the black intact with an orbital sander would be easy. Just sand the white areas and when it turns black, that area is done.


You have a point.
Is there a sander you would recommend?
LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:28 PM   #7
Guru
 
LeoKa's Avatar
 
City: Bainbridge Island WA
Vessel Name: Ironside
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts design, custom built, steel, sailboat hull, single CAT 3306 Turbo.
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I would probably sand it off. I suspect that you will need to prime the area first before painting anyway. I would ask the paint manufacturer and follow their instructions to the letter. That is likely the reason for the paint peeling now, maybe wrong primer or improper application. Good luck.


Yes, something is not right with this paint job. The PO did hire out paint works, so I cannot tell, how was it done and by whom?
What do you think, if I continue pressure washing the paint, till no more peels off and sand the rest of it?
LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:09 PM   #8
Guru
 
City: gulf coast
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,441
Second that.

The peeling areas have an adhesion problem while the paint my be well stuck in other areas. If you can feather the edges of the hard to get off white you might get an acceptable look without removing everything.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #9
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 11,167
If that works, why not. I use Ridgid sanders. They have a lifetime warranty if you register it online within 90 days of the purchase. I had gone through several DA sanders before I learned about the lifetime warranty.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #10
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 7,124
Improper preparation and or incompatible paint.
My question is why black.

Talk to the yard's paint shop to get their ideas.
Consider sanding down to the black then rough up the black just a little bit prior to painting it.

Is it going to sprayed or rolled?

In closing may I say, I dont know squat about painting or paints. Seek a professional for the proper advice and recommendation.
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:22 PM   #11
Guru
 
Brooksie's Avatar
 
City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,189
You don't mention the type of paint used so I assume your don't know. If you did, there may be a paint remover that will attack only the finish paint. For instance alcohol will remove latex and leave oil base, or International's paint remover will remove oil based piant and leave epoxy or gelcoat. If you are going to recoat you will have to sand the black anyway so sanding off the topcoat won't necessarily hurt. As to the type of equipment to use, if I were taking on a huge job, Festool, Fein, or Bosch PREMIUM 6" random orbital sanders with 3M Cubitron discs. Most yards will insist that you have dust collection equipment as well.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:23 PM   #12
Guru
 
LeoKa's Avatar
 
City: Bainbridge Island WA
Vessel Name: Ironside
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts design, custom built, steel, sailboat hull, single CAT 3306 Turbo.
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Improper preparation and or incompatible paint.
My question is why black.

Talk to the yard's paint shop to get their ideas.
Consider sanding down to the black then rough up the black just a little bit prior to painting it.

Is it going to sprayed or rolled?

In closing may I say, I dont know squat about painting or paints. Seek a professional for the proper advice and recommendation.


Why black? I have no idea. Some of the industrial primers are black. This is a steel boat, and lot of things are from the fishermenís yards.

It will be rolled and brush.

I already have the new paint. Top coat only.
LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:26 PM   #13
Guru
 
LeoKa's Avatar
 
City: Bainbridge Island WA
Vessel Name: Ironside
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts design, custom built, steel, sailboat hull, single CAT 3306 Turbo.
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
You don't mention the type of paint used so I assume your don't know. If you did, there may be a paint remover that will attack only the finish paint. For instance alcohol will remove latex and leave oil base, or International's paint remover will remove oil based piant and leave epoxy or gelcoat. If you are going to recoat you will have to sand the black anyway so sanding off the topcoat won't necessarily hurt. As to the type of equipment to use, if I were taking on a huge job, Festool, Fein, or Bosch PREMIUM 6" random orbital sanders with 3M Cubitron discs. Most yards will insist that you have dust collection equipment as well.


No, I donít know the history of the paint.

I will do orbital sanding. Take down what I can and paint. I do not want make this too complicated.

I am looking at Makita 7 in corded disk sander. Home Depot has it for $211
LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:29 PM   #14
Guru
 
City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoKa View Post
No, I donít know the history of the paint.

I will do orbital sanding. Take down what I can and paint. I do not want make this too complicated.

I am looking at Makita 7 in corded disk sander. Home Depot has it for $211

If it's this sander, it looks like a rotary sander, not an orbital. That'll be much harder to use and more aggressive at removing material.



https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-7...000C/203162027


It's smaller, but I've sanded quite a bit of wood and bottom paint with one of these and haven't killed it yet: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-3...5041/205671780


A 6 inch orbital would probably be a good option for that area.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:22 PM   #15
Guru
 
AusCan's Avatar
 
City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,187
With a big sanding job like that it's worth picking up a top notch sander.

I'd recommend a Festool Rotex RO-150. It will will do the job in half the time of most others. It has 2 modes of operation; rotary and random orbital. You can start with rotary until you start to see the primer then flick a switch and finish it off with RO.
It is a solid gear driven sander that will last a lifetime.
Perfect for stripping your bottom as well.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
fgarriso's Avatar
 
City: Desoto
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: DeFever 59-B PH
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 435
It is VERY simple, you get a rubber sanding block, and a box of 320 grit sand paper. Start sanding the entire boat until the primer is starting to show through. Total cost less than $50.00.
__________________
Captain F. Lee - R.P.E.
USCG 200 ton Master
fgarriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:06 PM   #17
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 11,167
I would not undertake that job with hand sanding, way to much for my shoulders. Get a good DA sander, you don’t need the absolute best one. I prefer a 5” so I can get into tighter areas. I use a multi tool for the corners. I try to limit the hand sanding to what is absolutely necessary. Get a revealer dust so you can see the high and low spots. We painted our boat a couple of years ago, it was the 3rd boat we did a complete paint job on. The prep is key on how it will come out. You will spend 80+% of the time in prep. The actual painting is easy and relatively fast. Good luck.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:30 PM   #18
Guru
 
LeoKa's Avatar
 
City: Bainbridge Island WA
Vessel Name: Ironside
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts design, custom built, steel, sailboat hull, single CAT 3306 Turbo.
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
With a big sanding job like that it's worth picking up a top notch sander.

I'd recommend a Festool Rotex RO-150. It will will do the job in half the time of most others. It has 2 modes of operation; rotary and random orbital. You can start with rotary until you start to see the primer then flick a switch and finish it off with RO.
It is a solid gear driven sander that will last a lifetime.
Perfect for stripping your bottom as well.


Sounds good, but I donít want to spend $650 bucks on a sander. Although not cheap, but Iíve ordered the Bosch GET75-6N sander. I hope it will serve me well. The price $284.00
LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #19
Guru
 
City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoKa View Post
Sounds good, but I donít want to spend $650 bucks on a sander. Although not cheap, but Iíve ordered the Bosch GET75-6N sander. I hope it will serve me well. The price $284.00
Those are well liked, so I expect it'll do the job well.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:33 PM   #20
Guru
 
Datenight's Avatar
 
City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoKa View Post
Sounds good, but I donít want to spend $650 bucks on a sander. Although not cheap, but Iíve ordered the Bosch GET75-6N sander. I hope it will serve me well. The price $284.00
That is a good sander. I would start with nothing less than #80 paper. It's not a car body. Let the machine do the work.

Rob
__________________

__________________
North Pacific 45
Datenight is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×