Old 02-25-2021, 12:14 PM   #1
Guru

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Ironsides
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
Top layer paint removal, how?

I want to paint the topside next month, when the boat is pulled out at the yard for bottom paint/zincs/etc.
The top layer (white) on the upper side is peeling off heavily. The primer underneath the white, is a black paint and very solid. I’d like to keep the primer unharmed. What is the best way to remove the top layer?
I took down some of it with high pressure wash, but it is very slow and not all sections can be removed. See photo.
This morning I tried a heat gun, but the top paint did not even get soft.
So, what method any of you would recommend? I will have few days on hard.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0472.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	114840
LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:15 PM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
I'd try sanding it and see how readily it comes off. The color change should make it easy to see how far to sand.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:17 PM   #3
Guru

Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I'd try sanding it and see how readily it comes off. The color change should make it easy to see how far to sand.

I will not have the time and equipment to sand. Plus, I want the black to stay intact.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:21 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoKa View Post
I will not have the time and equipment to sand. Plus, I want the black to stay intact.

Time and equipment is the issue. Keeping the black intact with an orbital sander would be easy. Just sand the white areas and when it turns black, that area is done.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I would probably sand it off. I suspect that you will need to prime the area first before painting anyway. I would ask the paint manufacturer and follow their instructions to the letter. That is likely the reason for the paint peeling now, maybe wrong primer or improper application. Good luck.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:26 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Time and equipment is the issue. Keeping the black intact with an orbital sander would be easy. Just sand the white areas and when it turns black, that area is done.

You have a point.
Is there a sander you would recommend?
Old 02-25-2021, 12:28 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I would probably sand it off. I suspect that you will need to prime the area first before painting anyway. I would ask the paint manufacturer and follow their instructions to the letter. That is likely the reason for the paint peeling now, maybe wrong primer or improper application. Good luck.

Yes, something is not right with this paint job. The PO did hire out paint works, so I cannot tell, how was it done and by whom?
What do you think, if I continue pressure washing the paint, till no more peels off and sand the rest of it?
Old 02-25-2021, 01:09 PM   #8
Guru

City: gulf coast
Second that.

The peeling areas have an adhesion problem while the paint my be well stuck in other areas. If you can feather the edges of the hard to get off white you might get an acceptable look without removing everything.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:11 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If that works, why not. I use Ridgid sanders. They have a lifetime warranty if you register it online within 90 days of the purchase. I had gone through several DA sanders before I learned about the lifetime warranty.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #10
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Improper preparation and or incompatible paint.
My question is why black.

Talk to the yard's paint shop to get their ideas.
Consider sanding down to the black then rough up the black just a little bit prior to painting it.

Is it going to sprayed or rolled?

In closing may I say, I dont know squat about painting or paints. Seek a professional for the proper advice and recommendation.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:22 PM   #11
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
You don't mention the type of paint used so I assume your don't know. If you did, there may be a paint remover that will attack only the finish paint. For instance alcohol will remove latex and leave oil base, or International's paint remover will remove oil based piant and leave epoxy or gelcoat. If you are going to recoat you will have to sand the black anyway so sanding off the topcoat won't necessarily hurt. As to the type of equipment to use, if I were taking on a huge job, Festool, Fein, or Bosch PREMIUM 6" random orbital sanders with 3M Cubitron discs. Most yards will insist that you have dust collection equipment as well.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Improper preparation and or incompatible paint.
My question is why black.

Talk to the yard's paint shop to get their ideas.
Consider sanding down to the black then rough up the black just a little bit prior to painting it.

Is it going to sprayed or rolled?

In closing may I say, I dont know squat about painting or paints. Seek a professional for the proper advice and recommendation.

Why black? I have no idea. Some of the industrial primers are black. This is a steel boat, and lot of things are from the fishermen’s yards.

It will be rolled and brush.

I already have the new paint. Top coat only.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:26 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
You don't mention the type of paint used so I assume your don't know. If you did, there may be a paint remover that will attack only the finish paint. For instance alcohol will remove latex and leave oil base, or International's paint remover will remove oil based piant and leave epoxy or gelcoat. If you are going to recoat you will have to sand the black anyway so sanding off the topcoat won't necessarily hurt. As to the type of equipment to use, if I were taking on a huge job, Festool, Fein, or Bosch PREMIUM 6" random orbital sanders with 3M Cubitron discs. Most yards will insist that you have dust collection equipment as well.

No, I don’t know the history of the paint.

I will do orbital sanding. Take down what I can and paint. I do not want make this too complicated.

I am looking at Makita 7 in corded disk sander. Home Depot has it for $211
Old 02-25-2021, 03:29 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
No, I don’t know the history of the paint.

I will do orbital sanding. Take down what I can and paint. I do not want make this too complicated.

I am looking at Makita 7 in corded disk sander. Home Depot has it for $211

If it's this sander, it looks like a rotary sander, not an orbital. That'll be much harder to use and more aggressive at removing material.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-7...000C/203162027

It's smaller, but I've sanded quite a bit of wood and bottom paint with one of these and haven't killed it yet: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-3...5041/205671780

A 6 inch orbital would probably be a good option for that area.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:22 PM   #15
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
With a big sanding job like that it's worth picking up a top notch sander.

I'd recommend a Festool Rotex RO-150. It will will do the job in half the time of most others. It has 2 modes of operation; rotary and random orbital. You can start with rotary until you start to see the primer then flick a switch and finish it off with RO.
It is a solid gear driven sander that will last a lifetime.
Perfect for stripping your bottom as well.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:50 PM   #16
Guru

City: .
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
It is VERY simple, you get a rubber sanding block, and a box of 320 grit sand paper. Start sanding the entire boat until the primer is starting to show through. Total cost less than $50.00.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:06 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I would not undertake that job with hand sanding, way to much for my shoulders. Get a good DA sander, you don’t need the absolute best one. I prefer a 5” so I can get into tighter areas. I use a multi tool for the corners. I try to limit the hand sanding to what is absolutely necessary. Get a revealer dust so you can see the high and low spots. We painted our boat a couple of years ago, it was the 3rd boat we did a complete paint job on. The prep is key on how it will come out. You will spend 80+% of the time in prep. The actual painting is easy and relatively fast. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:30 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
With a big sanding job like that it's worth picking up a top notch sander.

I'd recommend a Festool Rotex RO-150. It will will do the job in half the time of most others. It has 2 modes of operation; rotary and random orbital. You can start with rotary until you start to see the primer then flick a switch and finish it off with RO.
It is a solid gear driven sander that will last a lifetime.
Perfect for stripping your bottom as well.

Sounds good, but I don’t want to spend $650 bucks on a sander. Although not cheap, but I’ve ordered the Bosch GET75-6N sander. I hope it will serve me well. The price $284.00
Old 02-25-2021, 06:50 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Sounds good, but I don’t want to spend $650 bucks on a sander. Although not cheap, but I’ve ordered the Bosch GET75-6N sander. I hope it will serve me well. The price $284.00
Those are well liked, so I expect it'll do the job well.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:33 PM   #20
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Quote:
That is a good sander. I would start with nothing less than #80 paper. It's not a car body. Let the machine do the work.

Rob