Strainer/stopper assembly Head Sink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
The rubber gasket on these is at “end of life”. These are for the Sinks in the heads. 2 3/4” (70 mm). They resemble the standard ones in kitchen sinks, but are a non-standard size. Most KK42’s are equipped with these. And don’t tell me to replace the sink!

Googling provides no leads.

Any ideas?

IMG_6188.jpg
IMG_6189.jpg
IMG_6190.jpg

Jim

Bar sinks use a different size stopper. Maybe that is what it is or a variation. THey are smaller than the kitchen/galley sinks

A hardware store such as Home Hardware may also be able to sell you new rubber parts. I have been surprised sometimes about what they carry.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with the sink in my dirt home. I ended up taking two different strainers apart and marrying the parts I needed.

pete

I would expect that an RV store might have the right sized item. I don't think you will be able to buy just the rubber or basket. But you will not have to buy the entire sink, either. What you are looking for is a "basket strainer assembly". In the box you will get a new basket and a new "cup" to receive the basket. New gaskets for where the assembly mounts to the sink will also be supplied. If you're really lucky, you can just drop in the new basket. Most likely, you will have to remove the entire assembly from the sink and replace it with the new one. An easy, uncomplicated job, requiring minimal tools.

Home depot might even have the right size basket strainer assembly, as it might be the same as used in small apartment efficiency setups or in bar sinks.

Thanks guys. I’ve looked online and nothing comes up so far. Everything that comes up is the standard kitchen sink. I will check in at a local commercial plumbing supply store here. They may be able to provide advice. CLectric’s suggestion for the bar sink is a useful lead.

The RV store suggestion is a good idea and I will ask they opinion on the matter. There is a big one in Langley.

Another option is to look into preparing a new gasket from some stock rubber material. A “hole saw” of the correct size might be a start. But it would have to be sanded down on a diagonal as it is tapered to fit the drain.

Jim

Another option is to look into preparing a new gasket from some stock rubber material. A “hole saw” of the correct size might be a start. But it would have to be sanded down on a diagonal as it is tapered to fit the drain.

Jim

Not worth the time and aggravation. You WILL find the correct solution out there after checking a few more places.

Last edited:
It can’t be that hard to find. I bought some off Amazon recently for the galley sink. Just the strainer basket, not the whole fitting.

These are smaller than the ones for the galley sink, which is basically the same size as a kitchen sink drain.

Jim

Check a hardware, the sink stopper dept for a fancy sheet of flexible rubber to lay at the bottom of the sink, covering the drain opening. Bingo! Problem solved

Back
Top Bottom