Screen material for fly bridge enclosure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kip Anderson

Vessel Name
Summer School
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 34 double cabin
Made a new fly bridge enclosure last spring during lockdown for a marine trader 34dc. Thinking about making some screen panels and I’m looking for recommendations for screen materials. I have plenty of storage so I’m going to make separate panels from the windows. I’m trying to decide between a white phiffertex or a charcoal fiberglass. Boat is located on Lake Erie and would like to get a breeze but keep out mayflies ( big bugs) and no see- ems if possible. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• C570DC13-F746-4071-A7E5-73DD509AA4A1.jpg
    C570DC13-F746-4071-A7E5-73DD509AA4A1.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 6E93E02C-EEC3-4797-9618-F1B756587ABE.jpg
    6E93E02C-EEC3-4797-9618-F1B756587ABE.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 28
  • CA04F9E4-01D8-4838-A040-AD72A2FF8771.jpg
    CA04F9E4-01D8-4838-A040-AD72A2FF8771.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 27
Phiffertex is far more durable. Compared to fiberglass screen it will far outlast it and serve you well over the long term.

Why not use a darker Pfiphertex material. It would (a) keep out the bugs, (b) keep out the sun and heat, and (c) allow you to see out more easily than anything white because it cuts the glare.

We had a cockpit enclosure fabricated for our Rosborough about a year ago and struggled with the decision of what screen material to use.

We searched the web for the tradeoff in airflow vs. screen pore size, minimum pore size to keep no-see-um's out, what folks use in Florida for patio and pool screens, etc. We finally decided on 90% black Pifertex based on the following thoughts:
1) Any screen will significantly cut down on airflow, regardless of the pore size, and as best we could tell from looking at several technical papers, the hit from going from a "screen door" mesh to a tighter pore size didn't seem to be more than a couple of tens of %. So maybe 20% worse on an already crappy cooling number compared to free air with no screen.

2) The bigger cooling factor of screens according to the Florida patio and pool crowd seemed to come from keeping the incident solar radiation out, i.e., the shading effect of the screen. I know from past experience that direct sunlight vs. shade causes a 10F rise of surface temperature of an object. That would imply a 90% opaque screen would be 300% better than a 30% opaque screen at cutting that heat load, more than offsetting the decrease in airflow due to pore size on still or gentle wind days.
3) We chose black instead of white for visibility when backing and have been very happy with the decision. I was concerned about the visibility with 90% opaque fabric before we finally saw the results. Our screen is fully transparent, objects in the far distance just look slightly fuzzy so reading the fine pring on buoy's is compromised. The only loss of vision is when looking through a screen panel at a glancing angle, say less than about 45 degrees where the fiber thickness of the screen masks the view through all the narrow pore openings at that angle. The effect is similar to looking at some (older?) laptop computer displays from an off angle.
We haven't had any problems with no-see-um's yet but have not really tested with an apples to apples comparison with another boat in a known heavy no-see-um area. We have been on the Okeechobee Water Way for the past week and have not had any problems so there's one datapoint. In any case the 90% opaque material is about as good of a material as you can get for that problem.
--Mike

Take a look at RockfordSupply.com as a source for mesh / screen. They have a decent selection and I've been pleased with the 2nds and close outs as inexpensive chouces. They will send samples if you request them.
IMO anything capable of stopping no seeums will likely stop a very large % of the air flow.
I also agree with the comment that normal FG screen material is not very durable compared with the exterior sun screen type materials.

I would definitely use phiffertex and given your dark blue canvas I would go with black, that's my suggestion for what it's worth. I did an enclosure with black phiffertex installed with a white stamoid Bimini and dodger and trimmed the edges in white stamoid and it looked great and was easy to roll up in place when not needed. Really worked great when you wanted some sun shade as well. It does cut down on the air flow though. Best of luck with your final decision.

M/V HiHo

Take a look at RockfordSupply.com as a source for mesh / screen. They have a decent selection and I've been pleased with the 2nds and close outs as inexpensive chouces. They will send samples if you request them.
IMO anything capable of stopping no seeums will likely stop a very large % of the air flow.
I also agree with the comment that normal FG screen material is not very durable compared with the exterior sun screen type materials.

https://www.rochfordsupply.com/

Hi Kip,

Your enclosure is exactly what we are looking for!! I am on lake Erie as well and we are looking into getting a flybridge enclosure done for our 34dc. Any chance you might have a reference for who to use or be willing to let us pay you to make one ��?

Back
Top Bottom