Canvass Zipper Blowout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbu22

Guru
Vessel Name
Panache
Vessel Make
Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
A zipper in my bimini pulled apart nylon zipper track teeth (?) during a recent wind storm. Wish I had a pic. About 4' long, nylon. In other words, the connected teeth separated at the track base to about 2'. Without thinking it through, I grabbed the slider and ran it down to the separation and jammed it, Genius!

Are there any good fixes for this? I've looked at a lot of stuff on line - not much applicable there. However, ran across this https://www.fixnzip.com/ Anyone tried this?

Never tried them. If the zipper blows out once it will probably blow out again. I just replace the zipper. Fairly easy to do if you have a HD sewing machine.

I've done a fair amount of canvas work and have to agree with Dave. If it blew out once it will again. If you can free up the jammed slider you can probably get it back working again as a temporary fix. Replacement is the best permanent fix.

I haven't seen the repair sliders you linked but IMO they would be effective if the original slider was broken but your blow out problem is with the zip teeth not the slider.

I'll also guess that you were running the slider "backwards" meaning in the direction it normally separates the tooth sides and isn't meant to re-join the 2 sides. As a temp fix you would need to get the slider off and restart it from the normal starting end and in the direction that joins a separated zip. You will likely have to rip some stitches and remove what ever was used as a stop at the end of the zip. There are many methods used so tough to guess w/o a close up pic of the ends.
As an aside... If it is a white plastic zip they are not as UV resistant as the black variety and have wear problems more often. Is this panel on a side that gets more sun & UV?

Appreciate the responses. No sewing machine or talent here. Just thought I'd check with the TF brain trust. Looks like I'm off to the sail loft to get a new zipper installed.

It should not be too expensive to just replace the zipper. I have done full canvas jobs for 5 of our boats but arthritis in my hands won’t let me do that much anymore. We are currently having all the seating reupholstered and all new canvas made for our new boat. We are having them use Sunbrella brand zippers as they should last much longer than the old regular zippers.

Remember to ask them to use Tanera (UV resistant) thread.

Tanera it is! Thanks

Sydney has/had a "zipper whisperer",a guy with a shoe and leather goods repair shop, who can work wonders with a troublesome zip. Maybe your town has one.

Sydney has/had a "zipper whisperer",a guy with a shoe and leather goods repair shop, who can work wonders with a troublesome zip. Maybe your town has one.
Bruce... thats interesting as we have a local shop that fits your description as it is well known for zipper repairs. When I started doing my own canvas work I visited his shop thinking I'd buy a zip or two local vs online orders. What I got was a lecture of why plastic zips were inferior and have no place anywhere... he didn't care I was trying to match existing and suggested replacing all with quality metal zips.
Thank you very much for your advice.... good bye.
Placed my online order and zips in a few days.

Good idea- still looking - no joy.

Reading I've done suggests that Don's guy has the right idea - metal appears to be superior in performance.

Reading I've done suggests that Don's guy has the right idea - metal appears to be superior in performance.
I'm not sure and curious if anyone has ever seen a metal zip on a boat?
I wouldn't think brass zip would be great around salt water?
He didn't convince me.

stainless zipper is available, or plastic zip with stainless slider. but it's just not as popular for marine use as all plastic. i remember metal zippers on an old camper top on my cobalt speedboat way back when. it was an oem fitment and corrosion in the slider had to be dealt with regularly. i don't know if the plastic was as widely available back then or not.
i only use plastic now, good quality. i like the ykk #10 two way zips intended for wetsuits and foulies. it's super tough stuff.
if you maintain a plastic zipper, keep it clean and lubricated, it will last a very long time.

I'm not sure and curious if anyone has ever seen a metal zip on a boat?
I wouldn't think brass zip would be great around salt water?
He didn't convince me.

I think the predicate is "well cleaned and lubed" on a continuing basis from what I've read. Yep - that will happen ro a zipper on a boat.

I'll check those out, Bmarler. Thanks

I wouldn’t want any metal parts in a zipper on my boat. Too much chance of corrosion. Our new canvas is being made with Sunbrella zippers. The material should last my lifetime.

In 1994, when I bought this boat, it had plastic zips in the cover over the folded back Bimini. For the first 30 years of ownership, that cover was in use for most of the time the boat was in use, so those zips saw UV exposure a lot. In about 2015 I had to replace them, as they were about done. I didn't hesitate to buy plastic, with a 30 year life expectancy.
In the same time frame, my old floater coats had metal zips, which saw far less UV, but failed within 10 years on each iteration.

Back
Top Bottom