Trolling valves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt.Will

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea'esta
Vessel Make
89 36'GB Europa
Any one out there familiar with trolling valves for a Cummins
6BT5.9M,Our slowest speed is 3.5 Knots,a wee bit to fast for
most Salmon up here.Was just advised of these a few weeks ago
Just an idea. Thanks :blush:

I have these engines and retrofitted my Twin Disc 5050a gears with trolling valves. These are a TD kit and a dealer can get them for you and install them. Not sure on the price, I think they were about $1k each plus labor to install them, but that was some years ago. I'm happy with the result and use them each time I go salmon fishing.

You need to know your transmission make and model number.
Trolling valves dump some of the oil pressure in the transmission to allow the clutches to slip.

What commercial fishermen do, without trolling valves, they trail a brake, usually behind their floppers. Also flopper stoppers can be set nose down and act as a brake. Brakes are usually homemade, but maybe be available from a marine store that caters to fishermen. They can be anything from a small sea anchor to a piece of plywood. Depending on the type of brake, some can run alongside the hull, out of the way of fishing.

Another way to counter speed if you fish with with your line from outriggers or poles, is fishtail. The outer pole line is faster and the inner one is slower. Half the time each line is about the right speed. And the change in action often draws salmon attention.
When transmissions were all mechanical, some people changed their props for trolling. And some others used a 2 speed gear box behind the regular transmission.

I, at one time, considered getting a trolling valve for my trawler. I just couldn't wrap my mind around anything that allowed the clutches to slip, doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I made a sea anchor out of heavy canvas and put about five feet of chain on it then 20 feet of line to the boat, it sinks nicely. Slows me down about to the right speed. It is slightly in the way but I deal with it.

pete

Thanks for all the replies,the pricing for the transmission modifications is
out of reach for me at this time,but the idea of a drogue intrigues me,
I am going to start on that this weekend and will post my results.
Thanks to all .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom