Toilet leak woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaMoose

Vessel Name
Sea Moose
Vessel Make
1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Hello
Have a jabsco head with the Oceans power conversion kit. Worked great for several seasons and then locked up. Bought a new gasket, took it apart, got it going again.

Not long after it started leaking where the pump attaches to the toilet body. Took it apart, cleaned mating surfaces, put it back together, a week later it’s leaking again. Took it apart, let it dry out all winter, applied waterproof silicone caulk, put it together, it leaks...

Short of globbing on 5200... ensuring removal with a sledgehammer when the motor dies I am at a loss.

Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of at this point is that the motor body is so cheap it warped somehow.

Thanks

Since you used silicone on it probably no other caulk will stick now. I would PM Peggie Hall on this board as The Head Mistress. She is the guru on heads.

Can you add a flexible fiber or rubber gasket where the pump attaches?

Greg.

It is leaking the contents at the gasket?
In my case, there is a big white rubber-like gasket there. If you look at the gasket, it say "this side up". In this case, up is down. Or if you wish, the 'up' will be up when reassembled. Also, check the placement of the clamp.
I did not use any sealant.

I just do not like dealing with used food. Any trouble with my toilets and they get replaced.

pete

I would fix it by putting in a Raritan Marine Elegance head. Once and done.

There’s a gasket it does not have a side, replaced with the initial rebuild.

Looks like the ultimate goober fix all - 5200 - is in my future followed by a new head :)

Thanks for all the replies

I would fix it by putting in a Raritan Marine Elegance head. Once and done.

That's a big expense to handle recycled food. LOL
When I have had to work on my throne, I wear rubber gloves.

Not really so much money to replace. A rebuild kit costs over half of what a replacement does. Three bolts, two hose clamps and you are done.

In seven years I have replaced two toilets, one in front and one in the stern.

pete

Five Ocean marine toilets are not known for their durability. As you'll see on the website Marine Conversion Kits for Electric Toilet, 12V FO-728– Five Oceans , they use TMC pump/motor assemblies which are made in China and have an average trouble free lifespan of two years. Any rave reviews for their products are from people who've owned 'em less than that. All Five Oceans products are made in China for a company in South America...Five Oceans is the US importer.

Which is the long way of saying If I were you, I'd replace it with a Jabsco pump motor assembly. Not the best in the world either, but a whole lot better than Five Oceans.

--Peggie

Which is the long way of saying If I were you, I'd replace it with a Jabsco pump motor assembly. Not the best in the world either, but a whole lot better than Five Oceans.
--Peggie
If you have only one head on your boat, preventative maintenance and carrying spare parts become paramount. I've seen vacation plans entirely ruined because of toilet failures in remote locations. With your boat being D/C, perhaps you have two heads and are not with such a significant risk.

I support Peggy's recommendation about going Jabsco because most of the critical parts are common and can be readily found nearly anywhere. Carry a spare set of parts on board, along with drawings/instructions so you can be ready to successfully rebuild it yourself, should the situation be urgent enough to call for this. I carry a set of parts for peace-of-mind, as I have only a single head and travel to a lot of remote locations.

Back
Top Bottom