How to store Raritan Marine Elegance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DDW

Guru
I will be winterizing and storing the boat for around 6 months. I've not found any guidance from the Raritan documentation about how to leave it. Specifically, is it better to leave some antifreeze in the bowl, thus keeping the motor seal wet, or empty it dry? Main concern is the motor seal, probably the weak point on any macerator.

When we had them I winterized the water system including the head until good antifreeze came out from the freshwater inlet. Then I would dump some straight antifreeze into the head, about a gallon but the discharge line was fairly short, then pump it down into the holding tank. I would just leave what didn’t pump out in the head. Never had any problems.

I have 2 of them. Not much to it. Winterize the fresh water system as normal and pump the antifreeze through the head by flushing. couldn't be easier.

I'm familiar with winterizing marine heads, this one (and its instructions) isn't much different. But still leaves open the question: Is it better to have the motor seal flooded or dry? It isn't a matter what what is going to freeze, it is a matter of what will make the seal or its shaft fail first, once put back into commission. Drying out and rusting? Or soaking in antifreeze?

I'm familiar with winterizing marine heads, this one (and its instructions) isn't much different. But still leaves open the question: Is it better to have the motor seal flooded or dry? It isn't a matter what what is going to freeze, it is a matter of what will make the seal or its shaft fail first, once put back into commission. Drying out and rusting? Or soaking in antifreeze?

Even if it drains and goes dry, it'll still have an antifreeze film on it, not water. So it's unlikely that you'll have corrosion issues.

With my Sea Era, I just disconnect the raw water intake like and shove it in a jug of antifreeze, then flush the whole gallon through into the tank. No special fussing and whatever remains in the pump is there until spring.

Back
Top Bottom