fuel diverter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
IMG_20231207_234229.jpg

IMG20231123180144.jpgThere is a supply line directly from the starboard side tank (to the gen. racor, see the photos attached). if I want to add two more supply lines to two diesel heaters, is there some fittings that can do this? or is a fuel manifold the way to go?

Last edited:
Ok, so clearly that's not OEM. Running over a wire, Teflon tape in a fuel system, and who knows what else, would give me pause.

The more devices you add to a fuel system, the more problems you will have diagnosing system related fuel failures. If you want to utilize the Racor, a generator,
and several diesel heat, I would go into a manifold that has shutoff valves for each line. That would be much easier to isolate fuel problems in the future.

Ted

Do you use pipe dope only to seal fuel pipes?
I remember yellow Teflon tape is for fuel pipes. Do you use it?

Ok, so clearly that's not OEM. Running over a wire, Teflon tape in a fuel system, and who knows what else, would give me pause.

The more devices you add to a fuel system, the more problems you will have diagnosing system related fuel failures. If you want to utilize the Racor, a generator,
and several diesel heat, I would go into a manifold that has shutoff valves for each line. That would be much easier to isolate fuel problems in the future.

Ted

The yellow tape is for natural gas and propane. For liquid fuels dope is a better choice as it's less likely to shed debris into the fuel system.

Do you mean to connect the manifold after the gen racor? Could that make the diesel heaters run too lean if both are working in parallel?

Ted

Pretty sure that's a Racor 500. It has a maximum flow rate of 60 GPH. Not sure what size generator you have, but my 9 KW Onan burns maximum a gallon an hour and returns maybe 10 gallons per hour to the fuel tank. I think you will be fine. What size fuel hose from the tank to the Racor? Do your heaters return fuel to the tank? Hard to imagine your heaters burning more than 1 GPH (138,000 BTUs in a gallon of diesel).

Ted

Rectorseal 5 has more than one product
I have 25790

The yellow tape is for natural gas and propane. For liquid fuels dope is a better choice as it's less likely to shed debris into the fuel system.
Is this one rated for fuel pipes?

Then it should work fine.
Westerbeke 6kw, but I don't need the gen and diesel heater to run together.

Pretty sure that's a Racor 500. It has a maximum flow rate of 60 GPH. Not sure what size generator you have, but my 9 KW Onan burns maximum a gallon an hour and returns maybe 10 gallons per hour to the fuel tank. I think you will be fine. What size fuel hose from the tank to the Racor? Do your heaters return fuel to the tank? Hard to imagine your heaters burning more than 1 GPH (138,000 BTUs in a gallon of diesel).

Ted

Does the manifold install with control valves and a priming pump?
Is there assembled product available?

Ted

Does the manifold install with control valves and a priming pump?
Is there assembled product available?

A search for "diesel fuel manifold " retuned this:

https://shop.keenanfilters.com/products/3-valve-fuel-water-manifold

They offer 2 and 4 valve models also. The outlets are 1/2" pipe thread, but bushings are in expensive.

There are other manufacturers that are quite a bit more expensive.

Regarding your heaters, you probably need to identify your make and model. If it doesn't have its own fuel pump and is gravity fed, that will require a more complicated setup.

Ted

what couplings and hose should connect from the racor outlet to the manifold inlet? and how does the original racor outlet rubber hose hook onto one of the three ports?

I'm planning to install a Chinese diesel heater that is said to be a copy of Espar d4. d4 has a fuel pump that can extract fuel from a source within 6' distance and send the fuel up to 20' away. so it's not gravity feed.

A search for "diesel fuel manifold " retuned this:

https://shop.keenanfilters.com/products/3-valve-fuel-water-manifold

They offer 2 and 4 valve models also. The outlets are 1/2" pipe thread, but bushings are in expensive.

There are other manufacturers that are quite a bit more expensive.

Regarding your heaters, you probably need to identify your make and model. If it doesn't have its own fuel pump and is gravity fed, that will require a more complicated setup.

Ted

what couplings and hose should connect from the racor outlet to the manifold inlet? and how does the original racor outlet rubber hose hook onto one of the three ports?

I'm planning to install a Chinese diesel heater that is said to be a copy of Espar d4. d4 has a fuel pump that can extract fuel from a source within 6' distance and send the fuel up to 20' away. so it's not gravity feed.

The Racor outlet has an adapter to hose barb that should be sufficient depending on where the manifold is placed. The manifold inlet is either 3/8" or 1/2" pipe thread. So an adapter from that to the same size hose barb as the Racor outlet will be required. You will also need adapters from the manifold outlet valves to hose barb. You should buy Coastguard approved diesel fuel hose to run between the various connections. If you're not familiar with plumbing diesel fuel lines, it would be advisable to seek qualified help on proper techniques (such as no Teflon tape).

If each heater and the generator have their own fuel pump, flow shouldn't be an issue. One final thought, if running fuel line through bulkheads (such as your generator), hose by it self could easily be a braided by the bulkhead material. Metal pipe through the bulkhead is a better choice.

Ted

does a manifold also need a bleeding pump to prime?

The Racor outlet has an adapter to hose barb that should be sufficient depending on where the manifold is placed. The manifold inlet is either 3/8" or 1/2" pipe thread. So an adapter from that to the same size hose barb as the Racor outlet will be required. You will also need adapters from the manifold outlet valves to hose barb. You should buy Coastguard approved diesel fuel hose to run between the various connections. If you're not familiar with plumbing diesel fuel lines, it would be advisable to seek qualified help on proper techniques (such as no Teflon tape).

If each heater and the generator have their own fuel pump, flow shouldn't be an issue. One final thought, if running fuel line through bulkheads (such as your generator), hose by it self could easily be a braided by the bulkhead material. Metal pipe through the bulkhead is a better choice.

Ted

I would have to drain the Gen. racor (or drain ~1/2) for changing the hose connections
this racor does not have a bleeding pump
last month when I changed this racor filter, I had to fill it up using a disposable cola cup
do you mean I could have run the genny to prime the (empty) racor? with the manifold installed, the genny fuel pump can prime the manifold as well?

No, the generator will do it.

Ted

Last edited:
I would have to drain the Gen. racor (or drain ~1/2) for changing the hose connections
last month when I changed this racor filter, I had to fill it up using a disposable cola cup
do you mean I could have run the genny to prime the (empty) racor? with the manifold installed, the genny fuel pump can prime the manifold as well?

Not familiar with your specific generator, but all manufacturers have a provision for pulling fuel through the fuel lines to prime the lift pump and injector pump. My Onan has an electric lift pump that can be run without cranking the engine. My John Deere main engine has a lever on the side of the lift pump that allows you to pump the lift pump without cranking the engine. I would consult your owner's manual for changing the fuel filter on the engine or bleeding the system.

If you don't have the owner's manual, many are available online as a PDF or from the manufacturer.

Ted

I found the priming section from westerbeke 6.0bcd manual. is pressing the preheat button 20 seconds, maybe several 20s needed, how you prime without starting the engine?

"peaheat" is not "cranking", so it does not run the sea water pump at the same time, right?

Screenshot 2024-01-13 133559.jpg

Not familiar with your specific generator, but all manufacturers have a provision for pulling fuel through the fuel lines to prime the lift pump and injector pump. My Onan has an electric lift pump that can be run without cranking the engine. My John Deere main engine has a lever on the side of the lift pump that allows you to pump the lift pump without cranking the engine. I would consult your owner's manual for changing the fuel filter on the engine or bleeding the system.

If you don't have the owner's manual, many are available online as a PDF or from the manufacturer.

Ted

You need to be careful not to run the preheat to long as you can burn out the glow plugs. On my generator, I disconnect the positive lead on the fuel pump and run a jumper wire to the battery when priming filters.

If you choose to use the preheat button, maybe go 10 seconds and then 10 minute interval before doing it again.

Ted

Aboard Seaweed I have an electronic 12v diesel fuel pump between the tank and the racor 500. The thing is, I really abhor bleeding an engine. So my pump pulls from the tank and shoves the fuel through (thus filling) the Racor, then on through the engine.

My setup:
BattsFuelRacorOverflow.jpg

Sside Note: I had the engine painted white so I can easily spot weaps, drips and leaks. Something to consider...

Last edited:
You need to be careful not to run the preheat to long as you can burn out the glow plugs. On my generator, I disconnect the positive lead on the fuel pump and run a jumper wire to the battery when priming filters.

If you choose to use the preheat button, maybe go 10 seconds and then 10 minute interval before doing it again.

Ted

using the jumper wires, do you still need to give the pump a break after a continuous running interval?

using the jumper wires, do you still need to give the pump a break after a continuous running interval?

No, the pump runs continuously when the generator is running. It's important for me to stress that you want to disconnect the fuel pump positive wire from the harness before connecting it to the jumper wire. Don't want to run voltage back up the wiring harness. Remember to reconnect the fuel pump back to the wiring harness after priming the fuel system.

Ted

i was able to find the lift pump. which is positive connector on the pump? did you disconnect the big harness (location does not match "20 amp dc circuit braker" exactly maybe not shown), or one of the two connectors on the lift pump?

Screenshot 2024-01-14 212348.jpg

IMG20240114190414.jpg

No, the pump runs continuously when the generator is running. It's important for me to stress that you want to disconnect the fuel pump positive wire from the harness before connecting it to the jumper wire. Don't want to run voltage back up the wiring harness. Remember to reconnect the fuel pump back to the wiring harness after priming the fuel system.

Ted

i was able to find the lift pump. which is positive connector on the pump? did you disconnect the big harness (location does not match "20 amp dc circuit braker" exactly maybe not shown), or one of the two connectors on the lift pump?

View attachment 145053

View attachment 145055

In the lower picture, the upper blue circle is the fuel line going to the fuel filter. Not sure if there are 2 electrical connections or one. On my pump there are 2 with one being attached to the engine (negative). It hard to tell from the picture if the lower blue circle on the curly wire goes to the frame or attaches to the wiring harness. On my fuel pump, there are short leads with connectors on the ends. One plugs onto a connector on the wiring harness.

From the picture, getting to the fuel filter looks to be a PIA. Wondering if you've changed it and had to remove the fuel hose to do it.

Ted

I haven't changed the Genny mounted fuel filter. I think the supply hose definitely needs to come off before the clamp can be loosened

Here is the section from the manual that covers how to replace the fuel filter element

Screenshot_2024-01-15-18-42-26-93_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

In the lower picture, the upper blue circle is the fuel line going to the fuel filter. Not sure if there are 2 electrical connections or one. On my pump there are 2 with one being attached to the engine (negative). It hard to tell from the picture if the lower blue circle on the curly wire goes to the frame or attaches to the wiring harness. On my fuel pump, there are short leads with connectors on the ends. One plugs onto a connector on the wiring harness.

From the picture, getting to the fuel filter looks to be a PIA. Wondering if you've changed it and had to remove the fuel hose to do it.

Ted

If the lift pump has straight forward connectors, does the jumper wires connect to the nearest battery, or to some DC hub like the attached pictures:

IMG20240114190839.jpg

IMG20240114190902.jpg

Does any auto jumper wire with jaw clamps connector work?

Ted

I suggest a hose barb adapter out of the Racor sufficient hose to lead to a convenient location for your manifold supplying the heaters and the genny. The manifold can be as simple as a brass tee from Home Depot with hose barb-to-pipe thread connections at each end for the genny and a Y-valve with two shut-off valves coming out of the tee. Here's a Y-valve I got from HD I use in my own fuel return system.

Attachments

• DSC02443.jpg
    DSC02443.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 24
If the lift pump has straight forward connectors, does the jumper wires connect to the nearest battery, or to some DC hub like the attached pictures:

View attachment 145085

View attachment 145086

Does any auto jumper wire with jaw clamps connector work?

Only limitation on "any battery" would include the negative terminal hooked to the generator engine in some way. I put the jumper on the generator battery and just touch the fuel pump lead to the end of the jumper. It takes less than a minute to fill the Racor, the engine filter, and fuel splashing back into the tank.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom