Voyage Planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Doctor’s Orders
Vessel Make
Cabo 35 Express Sportfish (For Sale)
My wife and I are in the initial throes of identifying and buying our first trawler. To help narrow our search we want to take a close up look at water depths as well as potential anchorages and marinas along a future route but first we need to get a few big picture ideas for potential destinations. We have a few already and being based in NC we have destinations both north and south that we want to explore. I have Navionics Charts and ActiveCaptain on my iPad which are great for detailed info but wanted to ask if anyone has a book or another source of suggestions for worthwhile destinations in general.

Thanks,
Jeff

Rule #1
Dont over-plan

You can pick where you go or when you will be there, but not both. To me, at least a few paper charts are indispensable to get a wide view of the area you want to travel. Being limited to a tiny little screen you miss a lot of surrounding opportunities off the beaten path.

For general destination ideas I think Waterway Guides would be a good source for you. Even out of date used copies would be useful.

If you are looking for places or navigable routes to travel or anchor, the tablet chart apps are fine and of course Active Captain notes numerous anchoring spots.

Last edited:
To me, at least a few paper charts are indispensable to get a wide view of the area you want to travel. Being limited to a tiny little screen you miss a lot of surrounding opportunities off the beaten path.

Paper charts are a 'must have' for safety reasons. Buy chart kits. They are the best bang for the buck. I have every kit from the Canadian border to Key West and use them constantly for planning. And I just like looking at charts too :)

Dan's right. Don't overthink this or you will never be happy with your situation. Step one is to get the right boat for you and your family. Don't buy it based on where you MIGHT go, buy the right one and THEN explore the places you CAN go. We are based in New Bern with a 4.5' draft and a pretty wide 15' beam and there really isn't a place we can't go. We have been to many towns from Manteo to Georgetown, SC with no problem. Very few trawlers (and we no longer have a trawler), unless you are going really big, draft more than 5' and there aren't any interesting places where that is a restriction (meaning land-based ports) and only a few anchorages.

My last delivery was a 1600 miles from Norfolk to the Big Bend area of Florida. I had never run the AICW from Norfolk to Miami before. I made a marina and anchorage plan using Active Captain data on my Coastal Explorer laptop-based charting software based on my expected speed of advance. I used no other cruising guides or software. The plan was under continuous review, and I would say that until we got the word that Lake Okeechobee was too low for us to run across Florida, my original plan was about 90% effective as to WHERE. WHEN was an issue due to weather a time or two, but we were on no hurry. I tried to have a "short" and a "long" day destination in mind on either side on the planned stop, but some days had to be short to prevent pushing too hard, and there were a couple of offshore runs which just had to be overnighters. You sound like you will enjoy the challenge.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m thinking we should start with a large-scale paper chart and then use the digital tools if we want to take a closer look at the facilities and the route there. We’re in no hurry and really appreciate and enjoy the experience represented by many of the comments above and in all of the forums. It’s nice to see there are still friendly places on the internet.

For many, probably almost all places you will go, the depths you will see are for extreme low tide or lake, canal and waterway levels. With tidal water levels varying as much as 7', there will be some areas where transiting is only done on the upper half of the tide range. This stuff is all very predictable and available on most chart plotter programs. I have cruised extensively from New York to Florida with my 4.5' draft. It would be nice to have less draft, but I probably haven't missed 2% of where I wanted to go.

Simply, if I had a do over, I wouldn't buy a different boat because of the draft.

Ted

Ref paper charts...

FWIW, I've become comfortable without. We have a mixture of installed plotter, onboard laptop, tablets, etc... which gives us access to updated NOAA raster and vector charts, plus updated Garmin, AquaMap, and iSailor vector charts... and our screens are large enough to offer both context and detail viewing sizes.

That doesn't mean paper isn't useful for some... I've just found we can get by without it.

I know: heresy.

-Chris

Last edited:
I have found General Eisenhower's quote to be effective.

"Plans are worthless, but planning is everything."

The more you know about the whole trip, everything from fuel stops to resupply points to areas with many not just one Anchorage nearby is key in my mind.

There is nothing wrong with a schedule, just depends on flexibility. Bad weather or maintenance item, don't go on schedule. Need supplies, fuel, or medicine....knowing where available may change your schedule but so what. Dropping a desired visit or lengthening a leg or two here and you're because you know you have options that fit is all it takes. Making bad decisions is not made by a piece of paper with times and destinations...its a emotional decision that only the captain can control....so control it. That is easier when options are in the back of your mind.

Paper charts are nice but hardly a safety issue with proper electronic backups. Raster are Raster whether paper or electronic. Most if not all coastal charts are available electronic for free.

One of the best tools I have found is just talking to someone who has done the trip 10 or more times at a reasonable pace ( not delivery captains necessarily but they can add a lot). They certainly don't know everything, but they may know enough about issues that guides mention but only in generalities.

Last edited:
Ref paper charts...

FWIW, I've become comfortable without. We have a mixture of installed plotter, onboard laptop, tablets, etc... which gives us access to updated NOAA raster and vector charts, plus updated Garmin, AquaMap, and iSailor vector charts... and our screens are large enough to offer both context and detail viewing sizes.

That doesn't mean paper isn't useful for some... I've just found we can get by without it.

I know: heresy.

-Chris

Yes, heresy indeed!
All of those devices with electronic charts are great while they work well, which they do 90% of the time. Find yourself out of range of a cell signal, without internet, and away long enough that your electronic devices run low or out of charge, have some that age out and you haven't yet installed their replacement, and the old, reliable paper chart that you can dig out of that seldom opened drawer will still allow you to safely and quickly get going again.

The more you know about the whole trip, everything from fuel stops to resupply points to areas with many not just one Anchorage nearby is key in my mind.

There is nothing wrong with a schedule, just depends on flexibility. Bad weather or maintenance item, don't go on schedule. Need supplies, fuel, or medicine....knowing where available may change your schedule but so what. Dropping a desired visit or lengthening a leg or two here and you're because you know you have options that fit is all it takes. Making bad decisions is not made by a piece of paper with times and destinations...its a emotional decision that only the captain can control....so control it. That is easier when options are in the back of your mind.

Agreed. In 25 summers cruising BC and SE Alaska, traveling some 70,000 NM, we have never failed to meet or drop off guest crew on time, typically 3-4 sets of guests each summer. I make a rough plan, know all the workable and preferred anchorages, and schedule in extra days for weather delays, maybe 10% of days planned. We pay close attention to the weather, and when weather is difficult, re-work the plan. Often we arrive early. Not all that difficult.

Also, like Chris, I've found I don't use my huge pile of paper charts anymore. Years ago, with cruising guides and paper charts, we scoped out workable anchorages on the Inside Passage. Now a nice-sized screen with Coastal Explorer works fine for me for planning.

Last edited:
Find yourself out of range of a cell signal, without internet, and away long enough that your electronic devices run low or out of charge, have some that age out and you haven't yet installed their replacement, ...

None of ours need cell or internet to navigate.

In our situation, it's easy enough to keep the laptop software and the apps on the 4 more portable devices updated, and all of them charged.

Can't say any of that would work for anyone else, just that we've found no reason to keep schlepping paper charts around...

-Chris

Yep ....electronics are so unreliable, they are now the preferred tool by commercial and military vessels ( in most cases I have heard )....the IMO has required them since 2016 I believe.

ChartKits for navigation and route planning as well as back-up in the event of electrical or electronics failure.

Waterway Guides for information about the destination and resources and services available.

None of ours need cell or internet to navigate.

In our situation, it's easy enough to keep the laptop software and the apps on the 4 more portable devices updated, and all of them charged.

Can't say any of that would work for anyone else, just that we've found no reason to keep schlepping paper charts around...

-Chris

Wifey B: We occasionally print a paper chart, generally for our niece to mark up where she goes. However, we don't use paper. :nonono:

We have redundant and tridundant (ok, not a word but I like it) charts like Ranger does. :)

I think the one part of trip planning most overlooked though is what do you want to do? What places do you want to visit? :ermm:

We plan top down rather than bottom up. Let's say we want to plan from Morehead City to Key West and back. Without considering navigation the first thing we'd do is look at every waterfront town along the way and rate them in terms of our desire to visit. It's a lot of work, but fun work, learning what each offers. 5 is a must see. 4 is a definite want to see. 3 is would be nice but if it has to wait, we can live with that. 2 is perhaps another time. 1 is, nothing there really excites us. :ermm:

Now next part, hubby trained me on as my instinct was just pick them all. Outside is 711 nm, direct shot. ICW is 913 nm shortest trip. So if going ICW lets be conservative and say you'll travel 1100 nm each way. I have allocated 2 months for the trip south. So, in 60 days, 1100 nm. I only want to travel every second or even third day so lets say 25 days of travel. Then if my division is correct, average 44 nm per day and make 25 stops. Now it's easy. I have 25 stops each way and I start selecting along the way. I'm looking for stops from 30 to 60 nm apart due to the comfortable day of travel.

Now, let's just look at NC. Let's say my 5's and 4's from Morehead south were Swansboro, Jacksonville (not really, but plan along), Wrightsville, Wilmington, Bald Head Island, Southport. I decide three stops for NC going each way. I don't just pick the best going down as I want to equally enjoy the return trip. But I'm not going to pick up all six. To do so means moving every day. I decide on the way down I'm going for Swansboro, Bald Head and Wilmington.

Now it comes together, Day 1, 22 miles to Swansboro. Will likely run a bit more. I'll be there by noon and enjoy just my first day on the water. It's at this point I select an anchorage or marina or both. Perhaps the day I arrive, I decide to explore by dinghy or even kayak. So much beauty around and parks. Then the next day I check out the town and do the can't miss of Swansboro Artisans and Antiques. Oh and I pick a local restaurant for lunch or dinner.

Day 3, Swansboro to Wilmington, about 50 nm. A full day but some beautiful cruising up the Cape Fear. Wilmington a city I'm dying to see with so much heritage and beauty. I spend days 4 and 5 sightseeing and eat out one of the days. Perhaps my sightseeing is 3 hours for Battleship NC, 2 hours for the Railroad museum, and 2 hours for the Cape Fear Museum on Day 4. Then on day 5 I do a casual early morning stroll along the Riverwalk, followed by enjoying the beauty or Airlie Gardens or the Arboretum. I do a leisurely stroll downtown, perhaps check out the Bellamy House and then I cap my day off with a wonderful carriage ride through the historic district.

Day 6 I make the short turn to Bald Head Island. 3 to 4 hours back down the Cape Fear. Then I spend the after noon and day 7 immersed in the beauty and nature of the island. I explore both with a sightseeing tour from the Conservancy and on my own. I visit the lighthouse. I might even rent a bike and go for a ride in this place without cars.

In just the lower half of the NC coast you've experienced such a wonderful contrast. You've taken it easy. You're still fresh and ready to move on to SC.

You build in flexibility based on weather and your degree of freshness vs fatigue as well as any boat issues. If it forces you to skip a stop along the way, you'll get it next time. If you're not ready to leave an area, then tack on a day but also realize it's not bad to leave while longing for more with more to look forward to next time.

You plan based on your own interests. You eat based on your own preferences. We love local arts and crafts and local museums and hubby will never miss a lighthouse. You may like a day of fishing here and there, maybe even with a local guide or sailing similarly or just kayaking or biking. Even the smallest stop is a tourist oriented town and will offer so much. One person may like military and another prefer gardens. Every week on your trip should be the vacation of a lifetime.

We lived in NC. We were 5 hours from Morehead City and 3.5 from Wilmington. As a kid he went to the outer banks but we never went to the NC coast although we went to Myrtle Beach, SC. It was after moving to Fort Lauderdale and cruising the coast that we really learned the wonder of the NC coast. We could cruise the coast another 20 times and not experience it all. It's an entirely different world than the part of NC we lived in, Charlotte area. But then Wilmington and Ocracoke are different worlds from each other. :D

I know people say it's not about the destination. We love the water and cruising. However, along the way, there are incredible destinations not to be overlooked and missed. You can have both. We cruise offshore mostly and we can enjoy a beautiful day cruising with no land in sight, just the sea and it's marvelous creatures and then enjoy late afternoon cruising up the Cape Fear with dinner reservations at Brasserie du Soleil. Wilmington is a bit shocking with their huge selection of restaurants of every cuisine plus some locals like the Cape Fear Seafood Company or Casey's Barbecue. :speed boat:

Quote:
It’s nice to see there are still friendly places on the internet.
Quote.

Hey, Paintme, we're always nice to our new people so we can suck them into the vortex of the wild and wooly "discussions" on "best" anchors, dinghies and their motors, and of course the twin versus single rants. I have been here since near the beginning of the Trawler email list in 1997/8 when my "portable nav computer" was six inches thick and was with the TF (I joined/unjoined somehow in 2007 making that date incorrect) as it grew out of the email list subscribership. I am proud of the efforts all TF members are willing to go to to be helpful and always astounded at the depth of knowledge on literally EVERYTHING. You could not have found a better place.

HOWEVER, the passion about boating is evident, but the people who collect here (sorry, no exception here :() can sometimes be opinionated beyond reason based upon only our own experiences. Those aren't necessarily invalid, but one does learn to do as you have done here and take it all in and sort through the voluminous information presented to use what will work for you. I have RARELY seen anybody get their back up and get downright insulting, but if they do, we pretty much ignore that person who will soon go away when nobody rises to their bait. So stick with us, we are sailors and (not the government) here to help cuz somewhere in Fiddler's Green there is a trawler section where they tote up the positive impacts we have here, and we want the credit. :)

In the pass generally have picked a direction and and goal of where we like to end up by about a certain time. Of course go through the exercise of routing the trip, having designated ditch spots and the rest alluded to above. But that’s cruising not voyaging nor a delivery. When you are constrained by plans imho you’re not cruising. If you’re not passage making you’re not voyaging.
It’s only when voyaging that that we do our best to plan every possible detail. Food, water, spares, tools, redundancies in nav systems, steering etc. Found the OP interesting in the use of voyaging. Think to many that word has different implications then what he’s describing. Of course when voyaging you do your best to plan and weather or other issues make a mockery of your plans.

Personally like a printed cruising guide in my or my wife’s lap when entering a new to us harbor. Along with one chart source on the iPad and another on the boat’s screen. Believe east coast cruising is blessed with so many harbors a short distance apart along most of it you have the luxury of deciding shortly before retiring for the day of where you’ll end up. We’re currently in East Greenwich RI but need to get to Deltaville Va. Will do it as a straight shot once our new electronics are installed. Using a gentleman as crew who is time restricted so want to run continuously. Other than ditch spots no real planning. Only two decisions. Either make a right once outside LI then another right at the mouth of the Chessie or down the sound, through Hells gate, up Delaware, C&D, down chessie. This is a transit. Not a voyage nor a cruise. Weather determines the decisions.

The OP sounds like he’s going on a cruise. Cruises are suppose to be fun. Sure learn about the areas you’re going to cruise through but don’t plan. You make want to spend a week one place and after a day may want to leave another. No way to know until you get there.

Paper charts are for plotting, recording DR, and putting up on a bulkhead while voyaging to keep people encouraged. Agree with prior posters it good to have several sources of information including some you can put in a faraday box and will run independently of the ship’s electrical system. For us that’s been a toughbook, handheld garmin, navionics on all the iPhones and iPads. In process of putting in a Simrad system to replace prior owners RM. Have multiple chart sources and multiple independent devices so feel no need for paper charts.

Last edited:
lots of good advice

You asked about a source for destination ideas....
In the PNW the bible for that is Waggoner's Guide. I suspect somebody publishes something similar for your waters.
Also, I recommend the good old Coast Pilot for authoritative info on local conditions.

Since you have Navionics and AquaMap Master, you are all set for navigation. You can put AquaMap on up to five devices for one account so have it on your phone or another tablet, just in case the first one goes over the side.

The Waterway Alerts are kept up to date and appear in the AquaMap app, but being on the Waterways Guide mail list is handy.

If looking at the shoreside side of things, Waterway Guide is the thing against which all others are judged. You can buy one of their books that covers your cruising area, or a subscription by the month. Some people like paper and some don’t.

Aside from the utility of paper vs. electronic charts, for a new cruiser I’d recommend a chart book. It just helps you get your bearings.

Personally like a printed cruising guide in my or my wife’s lap when entering a new to us harbor. Along with one chart source on the iPad and another on the boat’s screen.

Excellent advice. You don't want to get into flipping screens back/forth for navigation in unknown waters in order to find things.

The paper chart books and guides are great for that. Lots of that same info is available on plotters, but at the cost of losing focus on operating the boat while lost in various pages on the plotter. Better to have the plotter with local chart info on it AND the captain focusing on operating the boat. Let others onboard do the digging for marina phone numbers and the like, be that in books or via google maps on their phone.

Paper charts for coarse (not course) planning. Electronic charts for execution. With phones, tablets, and multiple PCs aboard (all with gps), worrying about backups is no longer a concern. I just prefer the situational awareness I get on a paper chart for planning and passage progress. Approaching a waypoint is less meaningful, interesting, and memorable than approaching a named geographical point. "Rocky Point up there on the right. We're about halfway" carries more weight than "24.7 miles to go" (or even "about 3-1/2 hours to go"),

Just depends on how your mind works. I think using charts gets you looking out the window more vs the MFD screen. For me, that's definitely a good thing.

Peter

Last edited:
Just a thought

I spent the summer in the Chesapeake leaving Naples, Fl mid May and returning this mid October. The most valuable Navigation/Planning Aid was charting software from Italy called Aquamap. Using this software you have the latest Army Corp of Engineer depths and with BOB423 track you have the most recent maximum depth on your route. But beyond that you have data on Marinas and anchorages along the way from Active Captain and the Waterway Cruising Guide. This input is exceptionally useful in planning. Mind you, it only runs on the iOS platform which would be an iPad, which makes a welcome ancillary addition to your normal MFD. However one word of caution, the GPS in the iPad may not give you the necessary accuracy to navigate the ICW, as mine did not. You may need a remotely located GPS. This problem is not recognized on passages on wide open deep waters but the ICW is not that!

My wife and I are in the initial throes of identifying and buying our first trawler. To help narrow our search we want to take a close up look at water depths as well as potential anchorages and marinas along a future route but first we need to get a few big picture ideas for potential destinations. We have a few already and being based in NC we have destinations both north and south that we want to explore. I have Navionics Charts and ActiveCaptain on my iPad which are great for detailed info but wanted to ask if anyone has a book or another source of suggestions for worthwhile destinations in general.

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: "Worthwhile destinations". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as one wise man said. And there's many ways to accomplish what you seem to be wanting to do. For the ICW on the East Coast, I use the Waterway Guides. Plenty of really good info. For identifying any uncharted problem areas, I'd contact Boat US in the area travelling a day ahead and ask for any "heads up" in the channels.

Back
Top Bottom