Travel bans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonesD

Vessel Name
Michelle
Vessel Make
1977 Schucker 436
Does anyone know exactly what the situation is with cruising up the Canadian coast to Alaska?
I’m told that Alaska’s governor just extended their stuff for sixty more days.
I’m not sure what the limits are to this.
I know Canada extended their ban last week for another 30 days.
Some places allow travel to their communities if you are coming from a place that has been determined to have a lower “level” rating
I don’t want to hear from the stay at home people, I just want to know what the present rules are so I can plan accordingly.
Thank you

Go the the West Coast forum and you will find lots of discussion about it. So if you want to plan accordingly, there is a ban till June 21 but most of us guess it will be on all summer, maybe into the fall.

The problem is with border opening New York has to have settled down and Quebec has to have settled down. And after things opening up as they are now, the pandemic has to remain improving. So for example, here on Vancouver Island we haven't had a new case for about two weeks. But we just had our long weekend this past weekend ago, always the week before Memorial day weekend. So on the Island, everyone is waiting to see how it went with some visitors from Vancouver, which still has a higher rate of infection. And families that traveled to other families.

So you might think well the Washington BC border could open, but then folks who are looking for a vacation living in New York could cross our border. Not fun for any of us and having the cruise industry shut down, a big financial impact for Victoria & Vancouver, and points north.

Many smaller communities on the water in BC & Alaska don't want visitors as their health facilities are very limited and they don't want what little they have overwhelmed with virus cases.

So here in BC, you can cruise if you gunkhole and stay at anchor without going to the popular locations, for example - Lund. Or on the West Coast - Tofino. But as things open up, there is more critical examination of the outcome of these openings.

This recovery is going to be long and slow.

Go the the West Coast forum and you will find lots of discussion about it. So if you want to plan accordingly, there is a ban till June 21 but most of us guess it will be on all summer, maybe into the fall.

One more restriction that presently applies is Quarantine for 14 days. All who enter BC must show that they have a quarantine plan. Without a plan, returning residents will be put in a hotel, non-residents will be turned away.
Our maritime provinces are talking about inter-provincial travel without Q, but only if both provinces remain Covid-safe. I doubt this will come to BC, but if it does, it will only apply if you are from a Covid-safe place. The US? Not going to happen.

Go to Waggoner site and the Salish Sea site. They have an extensive list of closures and notes. Updates are going on of course but many places are simply outright closed or closed to transients. Others are limited to specific uses.

Many communities simply do not want any one coming in, doesn't matter what your nationality is. So do some research on the sites above and monitor them. Even to the point of contacting the places you are considering.

The border is still closed to non essential traffic. That means pleasure boaters. That may change or not in the near future.

https://salishseapilot.com/covid-19-closures/

https://waggonerguide.com/covid-19/

As far as Alaska goes you need to check that specifically or you may find if you actually get there then you are not welcome.

Last edited:
BonesD,
BC's Health Minister Adrian Dix was quoted just a couple of days ago (around the time the extension of the border closure) saying that the border will not be opening back up even near the new (extended) date. Now, I do not know how much influence or power he actually has over that decision, but just repeating what he basically said.

I feel sorry for the Americans who have their boat in Point Roberts. For those that don't know, Point Roberts is part of Washington but its only accessible by car through Canada. It is also accessible by boat, but then you'd need a boat to get to your boat. And many Canadians (BC) have their boat at the marina, they won't have access to it at all I'm guessing.

If you are on the US mainland but your boat is at Point Roberts it's about 12 nm Blaine to Pt Roberts. It MIGHT be legal to have someone take you to your boat by boat, never touching land in Canada. You would be on Canadian waters. I wouldn't try it without first contacting Canadian and US authorities.

If you are on the US mainland but your boat is at Point Roberts it's about 12 nm Blaine to Pt Roberts. It MIGHT be legal to have someone take you to your boat by boat, never touching land in Canada.

You would be on Canadian waters. ...

Edited.
Question? When and why would they be in Canadian waters? USA all the way.

I think that might still be a problem... Canada is currently prohibiting straight-through travel (no stopping) between WA State and Alaska. Although the length of the journey is really different, it’s conceptually the same. My recommendation would to consult both US and Canadian border patrol....

Edited.
Question? When and why would they be in Canadian waters? USA all the way.

You are correct. US waters all the way. No need to check with anyone. Just get a boat to take you to Pt Roberts to avoid road travel thorough Canada.

I used to moor in Point Roberts when I lived in the Vancouver area and still have friends there.
The Point Roberts Yacht Club put together a proposal asking for a special allowance to gain access to their boats and for non-full time residents (cabin owners) to check on their property. Some of the arguments they put forward were: it is now not for pleasure but is a necessity to avoid damage to their property and possibly the environment; insurance requirements to visit for security and to minimize damage that may have or could still be occurring, etc.
In their proposal they talked about the almost non-existence of Covid on the Point and how they could easily maintain social distancing for a day trip only, and therefore felt that the 14 day quarantine upon returning to Canada could be waived.
Anyway, they first approached the US border service and were flatly denied. Idea not even considered, just no with no (real) explanation.
This was for entering the Point by land from Canada, just in case I wasn't clear.

One more restriction that presently applies is Quarantine for 14 days. All who enter BC must show that they have a quarantine plan. Without a plan, returning residents will be put in a hotel, non-residents will be turned away.

With or without a plan, non-residents are being turned away. I know some people who tried to get to their boat and were sent back, even though they were prepared with a plan.

With or without a plan, non-residents are being turned away. I know some people who tried to get to their boat and were sent back, even though they were prepared with a plan.

Context, context. My post was in the context of the border re-opening, whenever that may occur, the 14 day Quarantine rules are not likely to go away at that time, and will continue to complicate things.

For anyone considering cruising north (or south) in the Campbell River/Desolation Sound area, be aware that the RCMP and Coast Guard are heavily patrolling the area, far more than normal.

Canadians, and I am one, know so little about their Canadian Forces, why they have deteriorated so dreadfully bad. First off, no the Coast Guard isn't policing any more than they did before. If you see them, the odds are they are on training runs. How do I know this? Just about everyday I park about 30 feet from the Coast Guard in French Creek. I read, I nap, I watch the marina action, I ocean gaze, I walk around the boats, and I watch the civilian organization who's name was produced by a committee, no one can remember it. And right beside this rescue group is the Coast Guard vessel. And 98 % of the time it is in port. You can check it out on Marine Tracker, you'll see a red dot at the French Creek Marina. They often go out on Thursdays for their training run, so don't check on Thursdays.... lol.

There were reports a few weeks ago of CF navy vessels out and about along the Strait of Georgia and I didn't believe it, but following up on Marine Tracker I did find them and I thought "Uh, I'm wrong." Until I read an article in the paper and it was on CHEK TV, the reason the navy vessels were out and about was their way to quarantine. They didn't want to bring them back in from training they had been doing until the 14 day self quarantine had passed. They were just out there bouncing around more or less. I used to be in the Navy so I follow this kind of thing more than most, actually more than about 99.9 % of Canadians, which isn't at all hard to do. If you read two articles or more a year about the Canadian military you are in my exclusive club.

For those who challenge my assumption, here's some reading for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Killed_the_Canadian_Military?

Now onto the RCMP - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - or Mounties. Just like the Coast Guard, resources are slim to non-existent. Most of the RCMP vessels are small. Imagine a murder at Newcastle Island just off of Nanaimo. It would be embarrassing for the RCMP to have to wait for one of the small ferries that services this island (and aren't running right now), so they have a larger run about for transport.

Here is a link about the RCMP Marine division:

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/gazette/coastal-connection

So I will just do a copy and paste from it:

Remote access
The WCMS unit consists of three 65-foot Catamaran boats: one patrolling the northern coast of the province, and two around the Vancouver Island/lower mainland area. Four officers work on each boat for seven days at a time, in rotation with other members of the 26-person unit.

As the operations commander, Sgt. Rod Pick co-ordinates the activity of all three boats in the unit. While some stops are determined in advance, the boats often respond to calls as they come in.

"First and foremost we assist detachments, whether that's general duty policing or just being that presence," says Pick. "We get into areas that detachments have a hard time getting into — usually remote places only accessible by boat."

The unit helps detachments handle crimes in peripheral communities, including assaults, mischief and liquor control. They also help with community outreach, visiting schools and putting on education initiatives.

So lets review. The coastal distance from Washington State to the Alaskan Panhandle is 600 miles (sorry Canucks, dealing with miles for the Yanks) but the entire coast line, this includes the islands, which number in the thousands, to inlets/fjords/sounds is 25,000 miles. So how effective do you think three boats are?

There is a reasonable marine police presence on the water around the lower mainland, Howe Sound and areas south and a bit west. But all these vessels are from the various police forces, I will just give one link, the Vancouver Police Marine division:

https://vancouver.ca/police/organiz...districts/district-two/marine-unit/index.html

PS: I just checked for any military/Coast Guard presence anywhere on the water along the inside passage from Nanaimo up and one Navy vessel, which is a training unit used by Fleet School at Esquimalt and a navy unit in the Whisky Gulf area, they don't count. And CG vessel is still moored at French Creek and is not out and about. And for you Americans reading this, when you read the word "about" you have to hear it in your head pronounced the Canadian way or it doesn't count.

Don't rely on Marine Tracker to show where the CCG vessels are.
I watched a large one heading south into Seymour Narrows that was not showing on MT.
The presence was not common but there was another vessel the next day.
Ted

I use Marine Tracker as its on my phone and what I use when I'm out there sitting beside the Coast Guard station at French Creek. I know it isn't 100 % accurate, but with three boats, and one almost always in at French Creek, how accurate does it have to be?

French Creek boats aren't the only ones that can run patrols

National Parks opening June 1st for day use only.
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/bc/gulf.

BC. closes provincial campsites to non-residents this summer.
Doesn't specify marine parks but assume it to apply.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5579086
Rod

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom