Tool Cabinet or Tool Bags?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osprey69

Vessel Name
Rogue
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 49 MY
Hello,

Primary storage for tools best practices? I have a 2' x 1' x 1' 6" metal cabinet that I was going to bring aboard and secure on top of the battery box. Thinking about it now has me considering bagging the tools separately as per the drawers. Screwdrivers together, sockets etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Primary storage for tools best practices? I have a 2' x 1' x 1' 6" metal cabinet that I was going to bring aboard and secure on top of the battery box. Thinking about it now has me considering bagging the tools separately as per the drawers. Screwdrivers together, sockets etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I suggest several dedicated bags/boxes that are portable to the job site.
I have several small portable toolboxes of the kind sold at hardware stores, around 24" X 12" X 8" with a removable tray. One for electrical tools, one for mechanical tools and one with meters (clamp/multi/vacuum etc). I have found over time that it is best to have the whole bag with you at the jobsite as I always forget one tool needed for the job and when you are wedged into a small space it is a real pain to extract oneself and retrieve another tool from the hold. I just grab one or more bags as needed and have everything for the job within reach. I then have 4 or 5 segmented storage containers (from the container store) one for fasteners, one for plastic goods (zip ties etc) one for electrical connections (terminals etc), one with deck hardware. Most jobs need just one toolbag and one storage container.

My current boat, being much larger than previous ones, also has a fixed tool box with a number of drawers. I use that for infrequently used items (zincs/large screwdrivers/wrenches) as well as stuff for the engine room since that's where its located.
~A

Bags, boxes, caddies - all are viable solutions. Only you can determine what will suit your needs. The number and types of tools you want to have on board will influence your decision. I have almost any tool one might need need. I have one large metal box and one smaller box in the engine room. The large box (36-inch, five levels) sits on the floor between my two engines. I also have several specialized tool sets, impact sockets, for example, scattered around in various cubbies. Power tools, mostly Milwaukee battery models, include a die grinder, impact wrench, a Fein tool, an orbital sander, a heat gun, a multimeter, a clamp meter, an IR thermometer, three drills, a Dremel, a shop vac, a sawsall, and more. And, yes, I have had several occasions when a sawsall was essential to the task.

Ultimately, storage space will likely drive your decision, not the type of storage container. I am blessed with lots of storage spaces and the skills to do most any repair or project so lots of tools kept on board. We are selling the boat in the Spring. It will be a big task getting all that stuff off although I do plan to leave the big tool box aboard for the next owner.

I suggest several dedicated bags/boxes that are portable to the job site.

My current boat, being much larger than previous ones, also has a fixed tool box with a number of drawers. I use that for infrequently used items (zincs/large screwdrivers/wrenches) as well as stuff for the engine room since that's where its located.
My route as well! :dance:

Attachments

• Tool cabinet.jpg
    Tool cabinet.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Tool bags.jpg
    Tool bags.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom