Old 08-06-2020, 06:36 PM   #1

City: SEATTLE
Tool Kit

Can someone recommend and give me a link or name for an "all in one" tool kit for my boat?

1987 CHB PONDEROSA.

One primarily for the engine and engine room, (I'm not sure if it's metric or not).

A link or name from Amazon, Lowe's or Home Depot would be nice.

Plus any additional tool or tools I'll need for a boat would be nice. Maybe something you found yourself away from shore and thought, "I could use a tool like that now ". This as your boat is sinking.

Cummins 6BT5.9M 210hp mains @ 2,600 RPM,

Twin Disc MG506 gearboxes, Northern Lights 8kW genset with sound shield, Sidepower electric bow thruster(2015), MasterVolt MASS 24/50 & ProMariner ProSport 12 battery chargers, Dyno batteries(2013/2016), Nav system including Garmin electronics(2018/2019), Espar D8LC forced air heat diesel furnace climate system, Electric heat, Raritan 172011 20 Gallon hot water heater(2018), 44lb Plow anchor, 120' chain with 300' rode(2016)Seawise davit system and Novurania 320TR tender with Honda 20hp outboard.

Thank Brian
Ducatihottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
What engines do you have? I can attach the recommended tools for a Lehman engine.

In addition
A full array of electrical tools and heat shrink connectors
A set of combination wrenches
Cordless drill, driver, multitool, lights and lots of batteries
Pry bars in various sizes
So many that I keep in the garage and take to the boat as needed that I can’t recall at the moment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Recommended On-board Tools.pdf (369.2 KB, 146 views)
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:54 PM   #3

I just added the engine above, thanks for the list.

I live about an hour away and my garage is scattered with tools. Is there one multi tool kit anyone can recommend? Maybe I'll leave it in my car trunk.

I can probably buy the highest rated one on Amazon but I thought maybe there's one geared towards boat maintenance.

Is it generally metric or not?

Can someone recommend an electrical kit as well, (thanks Dave).
Old 08-06-2020, 09:12 PM   #4
Guru

City: Trenton
Harbor Freight has a tool kit for $29.00 (on sale from $39.00) that has everything you would normally need in both Metric and SAE. No Whitworth or BS. It does have a Cresent wrench. Instead of lugging my massive set of tools back and forth I just leave this toolbox onboard. It's handled everything so far.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Well our boat is about 50’ behind our house so I don’t keep some of the tools aboard that I would have if it was further from home. I keep the usual tools aboard but the ones I use for example, woodworking, stay in the garage. When we kept a boat in San Diego and lived in Tucson I kept a complete woodworking shop at the marina. For the Cummins engines look at Tony Athens web site. Something like sbmar.com.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:41 PM   #6

Thanks there's a Harbor Freight by my home.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:44 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I only buy Harbor Freight tools when it is an oddball tool. One that I may use only once. For my regular tools I like a better quality tool.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:35 PM   #8

City: Jacksonville, FL
Most of my Lehman’s are metric.

That said, I came across some SAE when I did a partial in frame overhaul (everything but crank and cam)—likely previous owners.

I went with a craftsman set such as the following plus a full metric and sae set of combination wrenched from HF.

The craftsman ratchets suck, but the tools themselves and box are good. (I’d get different brand of ratchets to augment.)

Your best tools are manuals from American Diesel and Brian on speed dial.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-2...E&gclsrc=aw.dsClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0347.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	105967Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0502.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	105968
hytedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:39 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

His engines are Cummins not Lehmans so American Diesel would not be his support but rather Tony Athens at SBMar.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:41 PM   #10

Lol. I don’t know why it posted them twice.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:42 PM   #11

Oops, I missed that detail. Sorry!
Old 08-07-2020, 12:05 AM   #12

Maybe my next boat engine will look that big

I went to "Tony Athens at SBMar" and It all looked foriegn to me. Parts but no "tool set". Remember my wife laughs at me everytime I picked up a tool.

If anyone wants to inform me of what to buy on that site that "you" keep for your Cummins for emergency repairs, let me know.

I was looking for someone's favorite tool kits for my Cummins and round about maintenance? I figured if I slept with the tools next to me, I might learn a few things...... plus the books you recommended.

GOOD NEWS, my boat training partner is a mechanic on the ferry system. He's willing to teach me about the engine area as well. I thought I'd have some tools aboard if he needs to tinker.

Surprisingly, it's all coming together.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:04 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Start out with a good Craftsman tool kit. Then as you find the need for another tool, add it. You can probably find one in the $100 range that will last your lifetime and your kids can fight over it when you are gone...
Old 08-07-2020, 02:35 AM   #14

Thanks. I'll find a good combination of tools.

I didn't know if I needed any special tools for my engine. Did the engine ever come with a seperate tool kit like my bikes do?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2020, 08:07 AM   #15
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatihottie View Post
I just added the engine above, thanks for the list.

I live about an hour away and my garage is scattered with tools. Is there one multi tool kit anyone can recommend? Maybe I'll leave it in my car trunk.
Quote:
GOOD NEWS, my boat training partner is a mechanic on the ferry system. He's willing to teach me about the engine area as well. I thought I'd have some tools aboard if he needs to tinker.
Quote:

I didn't know if I needed any special tools for my engine. Did the engine ever come with a seperate tool kit like my bikes do?

I've found it more useful to always keep a dedicated set of tools on board. No schlepping back and forth, at least for common tools.

Start with a full set of SAE and metric sockets for 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drives.

An assortment of screwdrivers, maybe one with interchangeable bits... with at least flat and Phillips bits.

An impeller puller; whatever Tony Athens recommends.

And a pair of nut-drivers.

Electrical could start with a multi-meter, cutter/stripper/crimper tools, and a heat gun. Much of the rest could be addressed with your 1/4" sockets and small screwdrivers.

You'll likely want decent toolbox(es). (I had several; one for normal engine room tools, one for electrical, one in the saloon for commonly portable stuff, etc. The electrical box was a fishing tackle box with a bazillion drawers... useful for multi-meter, crimpers, fuses, butt-connectors, spare bulbs, etc.) Assess normal storage space, buy what works for each

Start each job with an assessment of what tools you'll need... then get additional tools as necessary in advance.

-Chris
Old 08-07-2020, 08:07 AM   #16
Guru

City: US PNW
I'm sure there are some specialty tools, but there is no specified "tool kit" on engine sites because 95% of the tools you would use are common ones.

Wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, vise grips, channel locks, etc.

I guess if I were you I'd buy a decent packaged tool kit and then whenever you need an additional tool buy it (and maybe more than one size of it). Soon you will have what you need.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:25 AM   #17

Thanks Chris and frosty. I'll take the list to home depot and or Lowes.

By the way, what's an "An impeller puller" and what does it do? If I guess it has something to do with the propeller, would I be right?

I noticed that most boats I shopped for had a few filters tucked away somewhere. What type of filters do you keep on the boat?
Old 08-07-2020, 08:35 AM   #18
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Quote:

Thanks
At this point on the learning curve I don't think you need special tools. Any engine work requiring special tools will likely also require special knowledge. Focus on tools for general repairs and maintenance of all of your boat's systems

As others have said, a basic set of SAE and metric wrenches. Combination and socket. Good screw drivers, now those are harder to find than they should be. All I'll say on that is you get what you pay for.

Tools I find handy on all boats regardless of engine make are:

• Vise grips, small, medium, large and needle nose.
  • Pipe wrenches, small, medium and maybe large.
  • Chain wrench and strap wrench.
  • Irwin sells a groove-lock plier, I bought a set on a whim and use them a lot. A better grip on the nut etc than channel lock pliers and with a locking button won't change the adjustment as you reach into tight spots. Get the set, all 3 sizes, you'll use 'em.
  • A collection of crescent wrenches. I have a fist full of 6" and 8" and a few bigger ones.
  • A multi tip screwdriver. I bought the Megapro on a whim and find it very useful and well made. I haven't yet found a good stubby multi tip screwdriver
  • A mini rachet screwdriver for really tight places. This looks like a good one MulWark 11pc 1/4 Mini Ratchet Wrench Close Quarters Pocket Screwdriver Set I got mine so long ago I don't remember where.
  • Nut drivers to fit the nuts on the hose clamps on you boat. Almost certainly 5/16" maybe 1/4" as well. If the PO did the right thing and used ABA hose clamps in critical places you'll want their flex driver
  • Any tools you need for changing all the filters on your boat.
  • A DVM. I have several but the one I use the most is the Blue Sea Systems Mini Clamp AC/DC Multimeter. You can spend more and get higher accuracy but it's the best tool I have for finding which wire powers what in the boat, RV or any place.
  • Ancor crimper and Ancor striper. I only use Ancor heat shrink terminals. If that's the way you go you'll like having a heat gun too.
  • PEX tubing cutter. Lots to choose from. It is useful for far more than cutting PEX. Any soft material tube, any smaller hose that is not wire reinforced.
  • Victorinox utility knife. Lots of 'em. And a first aid kit . They're very sharp!
  • Head lamp(s), flashlight(s), drop light(s). You can't have enough.
  • Wire brushes. Steel and bronze. Hand and for your drill motor.
  • Sand paper and industrial scrubbing pads.
  • A compact drill motor, it'll be less powerful than a big one but will get into those tight places that boats are made of. Cordless of course.
  • PTFE pipe sealant, teflon tape and the knowledge when to use which.
  • High temp silicone sealant. For use only on temporary repairs to gasketed surfaces.
  • Penetrating oil. Silikroil is my favorite.
  • A general clean-em-up and lube it of your choice. I prefer Triflow.
I'm sure there are more but that's what comes to mind. In Seattle you have Fisheries Supply, Seattle Marine and Fishing which I think is better than Fisheries, West Marine over priced but open more than the other two. For generic hardware in addition to the big box stores I like Hardwicks, Tweedy and Pop and McLendon.

I try to buy local because I want them to stick around. Yes Amazon is quick but not as quick and you won't find anyone knowledgeable to help you out. Well, you won't get that at West Marine either.

As you find which tools you use the most get duplicates for a number of reasons. You break one or drop it overboard. Loan it out and it doesn't come back home. And I like to keep a small tool bag with the most frequently used tools handy so I don't have to dig through the big collection.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:42 AM   #19

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mabuhay
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan
3 tools I find myself using quite a bit:

*Strong LED flashlight
*6 in 1 multibit screwdriver
*Good set of strap wrenches (useful for filters of all types)

Impellers are something I change for new annually, they are part of the raw water cooling system that circulates sea water through your engine and exhaust cooling heat exchange. I would recommend paying for an annual engine service and watching/learning the technician. It's really not that difficult to do but you need the right tool to easily pull the impeller out of the pump housing.

Glad to hear everything is working out for you!
w8n4sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:55 AM   #20

Thanks again to both of you locals, (I used to work at Whidbey Hospital in coupville).

I'll combine the list and spend a day at several places filling up my cart. I'll find a few solid tool boxes as well.