Still boating at 103

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick14

Guru
Vessel Name
Culmination
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38 Sedan
In this month's issue of Maine Boats, Homes, and Harbors, the cover story is about a couple still boating at ages 103 and 96!

They were sailors for most of their lives, and bought an American Tug 34 8 years ago - when he was 95.

If that wasn't impressive enough, this summer they stepped up and bought a larger boat, an American Tug 41! At ages 103 and 96!!!

I most likely won't even live to anywhere near those ages, and will be lucky enough to still be boating (or even upright) by the time I'm 80.

Wherever you are, raise a glass and toast to the continued good health of Herb and Ruth Weiss. They are an admirable role model to all of us for how to do it right. May we all aspire to live as fully as they clearly have.

(Can't post the entire article, but it's worth buying the issue if you don't have a subscription)

Attachments

• MBHH 9-22.jpg
    MBHH 9-22.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 75
That’s awesome, there’s no replacement for good genetics.

My heroes!!!

My mom passed away last year at 101 but there was no way she could even get on a boat much less work a boat at that age. Wow.

My heroes!!!

Mine too! I hope I can follow in their footsteps (but unlikely).

That’s awesome, there’s no replacement for good genetics.

You got that right! Diet, exercise, and healthy living help, but nothing beats genetics.

I got shortchanged in that department. Longevity is not in my family bloodlines. I'm already looking at the average lifespan in my family in the rearview mirror.

My grandparents on my mother's side both had a 9 in front of them so here's hopeing.

There’s hope!

Thanks for the posting the article,most inspiring!

Boats, hoes & harbors? I need to make Maine my next stop!

All kidding aside, nothing but respect for them not only living that long, but to still be out there doing it.

I always feel good on a boat, that's why I keep buying them.

Feel good - live longer? Yeah, might be something here eh?

Good for them!

How inspirational! My hat is off to this amazing couple! My parents are both still living and closing in on 98 each. Longevity runs in my genes so there is hope that I’ll get to enjoy my new boats for years to come! Need to remember this couple when I start to feel sorry for my old self!

Boy that's impressive. One side of my family, the guys' hearts blow up and we die in our 60's -- the other side, the guys push 100. We'll see which side prevails in my DNA. It's funny, I remember when we sold our old Carver we didn't want ladders because they were awkward and a pain (sometimes literally). The Mainship has all relatively easy stairs instead, no ladders, but now I'm beginning to think that's awkward too. I just need a boat big enough to have an elevator.

I've always believed I'll live a day longer, for each day on the boat... maybe I'm not far off.��

I met Herb and Ruth shortly after they took delivery of their American Tug 34 about a decade ago, and we've kept in touch. Judy and I visited with them aboard their new-to-them American Tug 43 10 days ago in Rockland, ME, and they are still a truly inspiring couple. Herb pointed out to me that when he turns 104, not long from now, the AVERAGE age of his boat's crew will be 100! After crossing the Atlantic as a sailor, operating cruising trawlers is truly no big deal to them. They walk the walk, and talk, and they are boaters just like we are. These Ancient Mariners are truly the real deal!

Milt Baker, American Tug 34064 Bluewater V, Southwest Harbor, ME

I talked to Herb and Ruth for a while in Rockland. Herb said that when they came into Rockland they were headed into the Rockland town landing but they found out that the students who normally tend to the docks had gone back to school and there was no one to assist them with their lines. Herb said that they do not jump down on to floats much anymore. Then he told me that he was about to have his 104th birthday as Ruth came up to take them on their daily walk. Herb said that the four to six miles a day was getting harder for him and maybe he might think about getting a walking stick.

Genetics

I really don’t want to start a debate (that’s going on outside this forum). Clinical studies show that genetics only account for 10-20% of reasons for longevity (or the lack of it). Diet and lifestyle account for a much greater percentage. Of course, things like smoking and drinking. But, also, meat, poultry, eggs, and highly processed foods. “How Not to Die” by Dr. Michael Greger spells it out.

Met Herb and Ruth up in Pulpit Harbor a few years ago. They came over to look at our 41’ American Tug. They were interested in a bigger boat. Herb said he was “only” 99! Great people!

Tlaw7

Love their boat name!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Anchient Mariners

Herb and Ruth are an inspirational couple. At the ages of 103 and 96, They just bought a new to them (bigger) trawler. We saw them shortly after they sold their sail boat and bought their first Trawler. Herb asked us if we know what that made him. He told us it made him a “transvesselite”.

Taking years off!

I've always said there is something that happens to someone when they take those 12-16 inch hops from the dock onto their boat. It takes years off your genealogical age. At least for me, it does. This article proves it!!

Mine too! I hope I can follow in their footsteps (but unlikely).

You got that right! Diet, exercise, and healthy living help, but nothing beats genetics.

I got shortchanged in that department. Longevity is not in my family bloodlines. I'm already looking at the average lifespan in my family in the rearview mirror.

Any mention in the article of their folks age, when they "flew the coop"! Our matriarch [Linda's mom - also a Ruth] soon turns 99. Still sharp and lives alone [with some assistance some times]... however, not able to board boats any longer. Those two are brave and wonderful to hear of. Go guys!! GO!!! :dance:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom