So who loves sleeping on your boat in a gale force wind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been on my boat at anchor in a few gale force winds at night. I can't say I ever slept much. :D

In a marina, like a baby.

Last night in Gloucester it blew a gale out of the nor'east,blowing my rig off of the dock,so there was no rubbing or stretching of dock lines,just held her bout a foot on the dock all night and was actually not 2 bad,I always sleep so good at the dock

Sleep?

Ya well who said anything about sleeping. Even at the dock I never got any sleep when the winds were 20-30 with 50-60 gusts. All I could think about was the damage, but she held up just fine.

Like most things. Enjoyable if well prepared.

Sleeping at anchor

Sleeping at anchor quickly demonstrates the ridiculous idea of a bow V berth. It’s the noisiest part of the boat.
I had a night this spring on a mooring wondering what the effect of heavy yanking on bow cleats all night might be. In the night I was pretty sure they could loosen, but then I went back to sleep.

Not on a 32 Nordic!

Nordics are well know for bad bow slap so I doubt he will be getting much sleep if it gets blowing ... I know from owning both a 32 and now a 37. Anything over 20 kt winds will be time to sleep in the salon. Light winds are not so bothersome and a gentle slapping is kind of soothing. At the start of each season, it takes a week to get used to the slap. I really need to get the chines filled as the change is dramatic with no adverse effects on handling.

Ya well who said anything about sleeping. Even at the dock I never got any sleep when the winds were 20-30 with 50-60 gusts. All I could think about was the damage, but she held up just fine.

When I was first on a Canadian destroyer in quite bad weather as a junior officer in training. I quickly decided worrying wasn't worth it. If destroyed could go through what many went through in WW2 with damage yet successfully sailed back home, I knew it would have to be something extraordinary to sink a war ship. There is so much redundancy and over build and safety measures that I decided there wasn't much to worry about - other than fire.

On my boat at my marina, I looked at all the boats there and thought about the boats at marinas all over coastal BC and realized those boats had gone through some nasty storms and yet were fine after it all in their respective marinas. In one nasty blow that leveled trees in and around Vancouver a number of years ago, in the early 2000's, I drove down to my marina - Sewell's - at Horseshoe Bay. Now realize there are two famous winds along coastal BC - the Squamish Wind and the Qualicum wind (where I currently live). So even though you can have winds at 40 knots in Howe Sound, the Squamish wind can multiply that speed. There was damage to boats when I went down after the one famous big storm, all sailboats with self furling jibs that had given way and these massively large sails ripped to shreds. That was the only damage. So I decided if the boats at Sewell's marina (Horseshoe Bay) could live through that kind of weather I wasn't going to worry about your average old gale, which we get constantly along the east side of Vancouver Island in the winter months.

As for noise on the V birth, I was sleeping in said location and just about sound asleep and heard something hit the hull, this is a protected area with boats all around. So I knew it wasn't anything like a piece of wood. I began to suspect one of our resident harbour seals was in chase of a fish, and used my boat hull as a push off. Couple of days latter an old timer at the marina confirmed that was what is probably was.

I sleep poorly at anchor in winds. I sleep on sofa in salon with one eye on the GPS - sounder with both the drift and depth alarms set.

RSN
Three things. First the NT 32 is not pleasant in +20 knots at anchor if in unprotected waters. Been there and done that. So best your friend find the right spot which around BC are in ready supply.

Secondly, about two years ago a violent wind arrived in the well protected Maple Bay marina with major damage to boats, drifting docks and collapsed boat houses. The wonderful old vessel Taconite was badly torn up. So yes, marinas are not immune to wind damage.

Thirdly, like many have said, once the wind is up we are too and fully prepared to take strain off the anchor which we've done before. The wind is one thing, but 6' foot standing waves putting a hard sporadic pull on the anchor another.

The worst we've seen for tangled boats are in Ganges Harbor and off Newcastle Is in Nanaimo.

Sunchaser, below is a link where I used to live in North Vancouver, bc. I lived in an area called Deep Cove. The Cove is quite well protected as it is in a fjord called Indian Arm. And wind behaves like water and follows whatever nooks and crannies in its way. So wind down and up Indian Arm follows that route. The Cove being inset usually is spared much of a wind storm.

But a number of decades ago, the boats you see directly on your left at a marina belong to the Deep Cove Yacht Club, suffered from a very nasty wind storm and the jetties collapsed and the boats were in a heap. The results were that in a rebuild the jetties were constructed and anchored to a higher standard.

This is a link to the Deep Cove location, its a live feed so just look during the day, it will be dark at night. An additional boring detail. The public jetty you see to the left was the location for the movie shoot "Double Jeopardy." If you are familiar with the movie, it opens with married couple on boat, husband disappears over the side presumed drowned, she arrives back at the jetty (the one in the link) and is arrested. Latter in the movie there is a scene where cars for some reason, can't remember fall off a ferry, suppose to be in Washington state, but that scene was filmed at that distant marina to your left.

[hit the link in the video that says to watch it on Youtube, it will work]

Here's wind damage at Sewell's marina during a snow/wind storm. I talked about the Squamish winds above in a post above, well this is the results of one of the Squamish wind storms. Boring peace of trivia, I had gone to the boat show in Vancouver and was going to buy firefly batteries at the show on the Sunday, the last day. But the news came on of problems that were going to develop so I raced to the Horseshoe Bay ferry to get back home. The ferry had just left when this damage occurred and was the last ferry of the day, all the rest cancelled.

Look at the video in this news piece: [My Catalina 27 was and is moored at Sewell's but was further down in the marina and escaped damage]

Windstorm wreaks havoc at Horseshoe Bay | Watch News Videos Online

Last edited:
I was on my Nordic Tug 32 on a mooring ball in Two Harbors, Catalina and the winds got to 60 kts one night. It was about 10pm and I couldn't sleep. I was sitting on the salon setee looking out at the harbor when I saw the boat (about a 65 foot twin engine cruiser) next to me starting to move. At first I thought I was moving, but realized he was being blown off the mooring. He had tied up incorrectly to the spreader line (instead of the much larger howser) on the mooring and it broke. The Harbor Patrol boats were all over that boat to keep in under control. Which they did. They got him moored away from other boats in an outer mooring.

Turns out the guy bought this huge boat for $25K after the housing crash. The boat was a POS, and he knew nothing about boating. He wrapped the spreader line in one prop when he was pick up the mooring. I dove to cut it free. Even though he was told by the Harbor Patrol, another NT owner and me to tie to the howser, he never did. Not sure if he's still boating.

Interesting night though. Listening to the VHF was like an episode of COPS.

Back
Top Bottom