Shackleton's "Endurance" found.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillippeterson

The Endurance was found in Antarctic waters on Saturday 5 March 2022 in 10,000 feet of water.

I thought some of you that ply the open deep blue waters might be interested.

The Endurance was found in Antarctic waters on Saturday 5 March 2022 in 10,000 feet of water.

I thought some of you that ply the open deep blue waters might be interested.

Pretty impressive, technology and all.
I saw the BBC footage, but not sure who financed the expedition?
(Icebreakers and deep-sea search equipment ain't cheap..:ermm:)

"The discovery was a collaboration between the Falklands Maritime Heritage Trust and History Hit, the content platform co-founded by historian Dan Snow."

That's from a CNN/Travel article posted earlier today.

However.......the video from CBS linked below says an anonymous donor funded the $10 million dollar expedition....

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that. I had seen most of the still photography but had never seen the video before. Amazing stuff.

What! I’ve been looking for that thing for weeks! Lol

Attachments

• 67F1DD74-3D6B-4210-875D-F75CE783AF75.jpeg
    67F1DD74-3D6B-4210-875D-F75CE783AF75.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 38
The story of his expedition ranks with Apollo 13 as the two greatest recoveries from disaster in my mind.

Last edited:
I love seeing well preserved ships, and this is one of them.

I got goosebumps when I visited the Vasa Museum in Stockholm several years ago, mostly because I was looking at a 1628 warship that was 98% original!

Jim

If anyone here is interested in this topic and hasn't read "Ebdurance" it is a very interesting account of leadership, teamwork and what a group working together for the benefit of the group, can accomplish.
Highly recommended!

A valuable lesson that when things go wrong and plans are trashed to develop an alternative plan A, B, C etc until successful or you truly run out of options.

Last edited:
If any of you has not read the book "Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage" by Alfred Lansing, do yourself a favor.

This is really good, watched it the other night. The navigational skills of Captain Frank Worsley where what helped saved them as well. Shackleton's leadership and toughness and the navigational skills of Worsley are illiterate in this superb documentary.

https://tubitv.com/movies/326588/shackleton-s-captain

Last edited:
Any time I get the notion that I'm a tough guy I just read about real men like Shackleton - and his crew. It doesn't take long to realize I'm just a wuss compared to those men.

Another great polar story is "In the Land of White Death." It's a recent translation of a Russian expedition to the North Pole where the first officer and one other man make it back to civilization after leaving their ice bound ship to walk back to land.

Training like this may help....

Attachments

• Seal training.jpg
    Seal training.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
The truly remarkable story is of the journey of the James Caird not the Endurance.

My nephew went to Dulwich College and the boat in those days was in the dining room. This was before it was lent to various institutions around the world as an exhibition.

I can't think of many schools where the boys could have custard and spotted dick sitting next to a boat that undertook one of the world's great maritime rescue stories

I saw some video of the ship, amazingly well preserved but at that depth it must be very cold.

Even the surface is very cold there.....:eek:

It is actually warmer down below. Not much colder than the bottom of Lake Superior if my reading is correct.

Last edited:
The bottom of Lake Superior is pretty cold, colder than I ever want to be.

I think preservation in deep water is more about the lack of oxygen than the temperature.

I think preservation in deep water is more about the lack of oxygen than the temperature.

Might be true as Bottom Antarctic waters are lower in oxygen, but cold temps do also slow oxidation of all types.

Just pointing out the top of the Weddell Sea is frozen where the bottom is some where's near 30F degrees....so very close to frozen sea water at around 28-29F degrees.

It's a bit colder than most deep waters (that average 34F degrees) including Superior where ships are well preserved too.

Here's a 3 minute read from "The Atlantic" explaining ship decay in the southern ocean. Interestingly enough it was written in 2013 but mentions finding the Endurance

"If the wreck of the Endurance, the ship abandoned nearly 100 years ago by Ernest Shackleton and his crew in one of history's greatest sagas of polar exploration, were to be found today beneath the icy waters of Antarctica, it might be in surprisingly pristine condition."

https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...ecks-in-antarctica-are-well-preserved/278711/

Another interesting story is the movie 'Against the Ice' on Netflix. It is about a Danish expedition, two men, who trek across Greenland to retrieve a map from a previous expedition that 'proves' the U.S. does not have any claim on Perry Island Greenland. It is based on the book, 'Two Against the Ice by Ejnar Mikkelsen.
I have watched the movie and intend to find the book.

A few hut pics

A close friend worked one the ice as he referred to it for many years. During down time they would make excursions to various places around McMurdo Station. One of those was to Shackelton's Hut.
I'll try to post a few for perspective.
Digital cameras were fairly new at the time he filmed this.

Attachments

• Img0076.jpg
    Img0076.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 1123Stove.jpg
    1123Stove.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 1123stove1.jpg
    1123stove1.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 1123Stove2.jpg
    1123Stove2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 13
  • 1123supplies.jpg
    1123supplies.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 1123Sealmeat.jpg
    1123Sealmeat.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 15
  • 1123DogB.jpg
    1123DogB.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 19
A close friend worked one the ice as he referred to it for many years. During down time they would make excursions to various places around McMurdo Station. One of those was to Shackelton's Hut.
I'll try to post a few for perspective.
Digital cameras were fairly new at the time he filmed this.

Something doesn't make sense in this. McMurdo is on the Ross Sea side of Antarctica, and Shackleton was in the Weddell Sea on the opposite side of the continent. Maybe your friend was based somewhere other than McMurdo? Or maybe a different hut?

Shackleton had another ship go to the Ross sea to drop supplies for him as his plan was to cross the continent from Weddell to Ross. Maybe this was a supply hut for the end of his journey ? I remember a while back a story about someone going to retrieve a case of Jameson's Irish Whiskey from Shackleton's hut...I'll see if I can find that story.

Edit: The hut at McMurdo is from Shackleton's Nimrod Expedition which was an attempt to reach the pole. They got within 97 miles and turned back. It was the furthest south anyone had been at this point. It was for this accomplishment that Shackleton was knighted.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Shackleton had another ship go to the Ross sea to drop supplies for him as his plan was to cross the continent from Weddell to Ross. Maybe this was a supply hut for the end of his journey ? I remember a while back a story about someone going to retrieve a case of Jameson's Irish Whiskey from Shackleton's hut...I'll see if I can find that story.

Ah, that would make sense, and I seen to recall that from the book. It's been a while since I read it.

Back
Top Bottom