Secrets and Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you close the seacock for the main engine(s) for service, leave the engine's key tied to the seacock handle.

All of the typical small electrical crimp terminals have a seam in the barrel. The proper way to crimp those with a “dimple “ type crimper is to put the dimple behind the solid back side of the barrel.
Putting the dimple on the seam splits the seam and makes a very weak crimp. It will fail quickly.
Nearly the same with the ( ) type crimper except you center the seam in the middle of one of the (. Putting the seam 90 degrees out will fold the barrel < and break the seam.
AND NEVER USE WIRENUTS!!!

Last edited:
Don’t have a set of parallel rules handy? Used a sheet of lined 8 1/2 x 11 notebook paper.

When I am mounting something or drilling through somewhere on the boat I use 2 large rare earth magnets to see what is on the other side. Tape one where you want to drill and go to the other side and hold the magnet close and it will snap into place and give you the absolute correct location of the proposed hole. I just installed a staple on our swim platform and I wanted to make sure the bottom was clear for the backing plates and no obstructions. I marked the location on the top whare we wanted the staple and my wife held the magnet in place while I went under and used the second magnet to locate the top one. Took literally a minute and I was then sure of exactly where the backing plate would be without any measuring on the bottom and hoping I got it right. I use this whenever I am drilling into the boat, through hulls, etc. works every time without any tape measures.

To avoid wire tye razor tag ends use a purpose built tye tool that cuts flush with the lock end of the tye. Absent that, a good pair of diagonal cutters will do. Put the dykes over the tag end but don’t cut yet. Put your thumb on the pivot point of the dykes then pull the tag end tight. This forces the dykes blades flush with the lock end then cut. The cut will be flush and not evil.

I have various engine compounds that I keep on the boat.
Tef gel
Alco grease
Anti seize
I. I put them in 800cc plastic hypodermic syiringes with caps.
You never have to touch the product to apply

When I am mounting something or drilling through somewhere on the boat I use 2 large rare earth magnets to see what is on the other side. Tape one where you want to drill and go to the other side and hold the magnet close and it will snap into place and give you the absolute correct location of the proposed hole. I just installed a staple on our swim platform and I wanted to make sure the bottom was clear for the backing plates and no obstructions. I marked the location on the top whare we wanted the staple and my wife held the magnet in place while I went under and used the second magnet to locate the top one. Took literally a minute and I was then sure of exactly where the backing plate would be without any measuring on the bottom and hoping I got it right. I use this whenever I am drilling into the boat, through hulls, etc. works every time without any tape measures.

I’m going to use this to put a cable gland for my light bar through my deck into the anchor locker. Thanks!

Greetings,
Mr. HW. Good tip. I usually run a hot flame very quickly over the cut end. Melts the cable tie just enough to round it over. VERY handy on board is a small butane torch.

iu

Greetings,
Mr. HW. Good tip. I usually run a hot flame very quickly over the cut end. Melts the cable tie just enough to round it over. VERY handy on board is a small butane torch.

iu

Most cruisers keep one aboard anyway for their crack pipes..... :D

Most cruisers keep one aboard anyway for their crack pipes..... :D
I thought it was for making creme brulee:) Also useful for splice end sealing.

I thought it was for making creme brulee:) Also useful for splice end sealing.

Based on many of the posts here on TF..... definitely crack pipes.... :eek:

The old saying that you should use your radar in clear weather is very true. Not only does it allow you to build a mental picture of what is out there from what is presented on the screen, but you build experience manipulating the controls for when it’s dark or rough. Wrong time to try to read a manual.

Tef gel
Alco grease
Anti seize

Good idea on the syringe. I was using Tef Gel a couple of days ago and the syringe it comes in is terrible. I have a lot of syringes so I will squirt it from the OEM syringe into a better one. Thanks for the idea.

I needed to install an underwater through-hull in my GB42, and I did not want to go through all the agony of a haulout. I had a friend inside the boat with a cordless drill and with 1/4 " bit drill through the hull and hold the bit in place until I found it and placed a toilet plunger over it. Then he withdrew the bit and put the hole saw on the drill and cut the hole. I already had the through-hull piece in my hand with 5200 gooped on it and rammed it through the hole after quickly pulling the plunger aside. We may have gotten a cup in water into the people tank. QED :)

Actually that is an old trick that has been around for several years. :blush:

Practice.

Many close quarter boat handling skills require experience. They often require an estimation of boat speed, reverse speed to stop forward motion, prevailing current and wind, and determining desired exact location upon arrival.

I consider myself very proficient at this. That proficiency comes from literally thousands of times docking my charter boat at fuel docks and in boat slips.

Most of you pick things up more quickly and won't require thousands of times, but you don't get proficient doing it 10 times in the same slip with no current or wind. Not all the thrusters, computer controls, and joy sticks will make up for a lack of experience. Experience comes from practice.

Ted

Last edited:
Create a checklist for every evolution you do like preparing to leave the dock, after leaving the dock, mid-cruise, pre-dock arrival, post-dock arrival, anchoring, emergency, etc. Print on 8.5 x 11 paper then have laminated. It can help prevent senior moments from causing issues :)

On an excursion to a snorkel destination aboard a 50 something cat sailboat (no sails set) there may have been 40+ tourists. In turn quite a few asked the captain and he obliged to stand behind the wheel for a photo op.

When the interest for this stopped I went up and asked if I could drive the boat. Captain stood behind me waiting for me to leave. Guess he had to go to the head so he gave me a compass course and a land point. When he returned I commented at the strong side current, he looked around and realized I was crabbing the boat to the destination on the course line he had asked for. His comment was, you can feel that? He saw I was having fun and let me drive for an hour or so before I saw him again.

Become one with the boat, don't wait to steer after the boat is off course, feel the movement and counter steer to stay on track.

Tef gel
Alco grease
Anti seize
That's a big one! Or, as the MDs call it, 'The Fainter'!

Last edited:
Make sure your first mate has at least basic competency with the boat. Getting sick or injured is bad. Getting sick and injured when no one else can run the boat is worse.

I think I still have my drawings from the mid 1960's (I was like 10 yoa) of my design and cost estimates of taking an older inboard cabin cruiser hull and turning it into a small cuddy cabin, center console with a marlin tower on it. I never remember seeing one for sale, and I would love to know anyone with pictures/ads/anything that had a production line similar in design. Like most things in life, I doubt I was smart enough to be the first....but I had never seen one. All my offshore fishing daddys were impressed with my concept.

You mean like this ?? ( I thought you were a Shamrock guy )

Attachments

• Shamrock.jpg
    Shamrock.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 37
Make sure your first mate has at least basic competency with the boat. Getting sick or injured is bad. Getting sick and injured when no one else can run the boat is worse.

We can hope, and wish, but don't demand it.
Unless you are looking for a new hobby.

Greetings,
While my first mate could get our previous trawler back to shore in the event of my incapacitation she never actually maneuvered, as such. It would probably have been a steer and crash land BUT it would get the job done.

With our "new" boat, I am insisting she learn and gain competence in piloting. Lessons but NOT from me.

You mean like this ?? ( I thought you were a Shamrock guy )

Shamrock Boats were started in 1971 I believe.... not even sure what models they started with. A friend when I was stationed in Miami in 1977-78 had a cuddy cabin version.... he loved it but wasn't my earlier design which was typically a bit larger for offshore work.

As a kid I had big dreams.... :D

I bet there have been 50 or more "new ideas" here on TF that I had old files on.

I literally had 2 file cabinet drawers full of tear outs out of old mags that I finally tossed about 8 years ago.

I think I still have my drawings from the mid 1960's (I was like 10 yoa) of my design and cost estimates of taking an older inboard cabin cruiser hull and turning it into a small cuddy cabin, center console with a marlin tower on it. I never remember seeing one for sale, and I would love to know anyone with pictures/ads/anything that had a production line similar in design. Like most things in life, I doubt I was smart enough to be the first....but I had never seen one. All my offshore fishing daddys were impressed with my concept.

Like a Pacemaker Wahoo?

Amp Meter

I like to see what my "high output" alternator is doing while underway. Below is a link to an inexpensive way to see how many Amp's your alternator is putting out. I put this on and now when I do my engine room checks while underway, I can see what's going into the house bank.
Easy to install. Just place the amp-clamp on the output wire going to the house bank.
There are many to choose from for less than $20. This is the one I have. Been using it for over 2 years.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DDQM6Z...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Now THIS is useful! Thanks!

Like a Pacemaker Wahoo?

Think the first was built in 1968....so great minds at around then were starting to see the light....:D

My design had a cuddy forward, with bunks and head, you sat on top of part of the engine box for God visibility and had a marlin tower overhead for shelter/ spotting.

Yes! I bought one too!

Thank you!

those little meters come in a lot of different iterations these days. i have them on my shore power inlets to show voltage and amperage at each inlet, and one on the genset that shows volts and hertz output from the generator. i can see what my electrical system is doing with just a glance.

Emergency Contact

1. Place a clearly visible sign on your boat showing an emergency telephone number when your boat is at a slip. (Could be your own or the marina manager).

2. Add a label on your dinghy, kayak, life jacket, etc. with a contact name and telephone number. Each summer, seems there are numerous USCG alerts about wayward items found floating with no means to determine if there is a real problem.

Back
Top Bottom