Sea Ray 390 Motor Yacht

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m20e

Vessel Name
Dreamboat Annie
Vessel Make
SeaRay 390 MY
Hi all
I'm looking at a 2003 Sea Ray with twin Cummins C8.3 at 446 HP. Would this make a good loop boat? Any info on fuel burn at slow cruise speeds would be greatly appreciated.

We have a 2005 Sea Ray 390 Motor Yacht with the same engines and just completed the Great Loop on 4/13/23.

For us, it was the perfect boat, lots of room, fast when you want, and reasonable fuel economy at trawler speeds. At 1000 rpm we burn 3.4 gph and travel at 8.6 mph. Like most loopers, we traveled at trawler speeds 90+% of the time.

I was surprised to learn that Sea Ray's are the 2nd most popular loop boats according to the AGLCA.

Thanks,
Mike

Here is a link to the Sea Ray and a Mainship I'm looking at. As you can see there is a large difference in price. The Mainship broker says I'm paying for the Sea Ray name. I want to use the boat on the loop and then along the east coast. I do have mild mobility issues caused by many back surgeries. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

https://www.pendergrassyachts.com/b...-bridge-indian-harbour-beach-florida-8766620/

https://www.world-class-yachts.com/...-390-motor-yacht-punta-gorda-florida-8797899/

The Sea Ray is higher priced because it is a bigger newer boat with vastly superior engines. But, if your lingering back issues don’t allow you to lift hatches and service/repair things then neither will work.
Boats are hands on agility tests every day you’re on it.

If you have mobility issues, you will soon learn to hate the SeaRay. I have an aft cabin MY and it is a constant issue of up and down stairs. Docking the Mainship will be easier with a cockpit.

You might want to the Sea Ray yacht reviews by David Pascoe https://yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/indexboatreview.htm

I'm not sure why Sea Ray's are considered better than Mainship other than Sea Ray is a marketing powerhouse and Mainship is defunct. Searays are not without issues, some serious. I'm sure I'll piss off their supporters but there doesn't seem to be much reason to consider Sea Ray as anything more than average, on quality or sea keeping, they're certainly not a premium yacht other than in Sea Ray's advertising.

As to Mainship you might look at his review on those as well. While he's not comparing A to B my impression was the Mainship is probably better overall than Sea Ray. Of course it always depends on model/condition of the individual boat. There are a number of really good quality yachts out there including Grand Banks, Hatteras, Tiara, Tollycraft, and others. I learned from an aquaintance who is professional skipper/surveyor delivering boats up/down the West Coast that these guys know which boats handle the rough stuff well and which don't. As a surveyor they also see behind the glitz.

I used to sell boats part time as somewhat of a hobby. We sold Chaparral and Formula boats. Our main competitor was Sea Ray. Chaparral gave us seminars on what was good and bad about each brand. Sea Ray didn’t fare as well as most people believed they would. They have a tremendous marketing department. My main gripe about Sea Ray is that given a choice between form and function they almost always went with form. But many people will disagree with me on that. Just my opinion.

Now as to the two boats. I really like the Mainship for accessibility on deck. The walk through bridge is awesome. You do loose the afr cabin that the SR has. And it has Yanmar engines which are fine but not the 6CTAs. I have them in our boat, awesome engines. I am not familiar with Yanmar support, whether good or bad. The MS has V drives which can be a challenge to service the transmission and shaft log. The SR engine room looks very tight on top of the engines but maybe that is just the photos. IMO the SR is fugly. Just my opinion. The MS has nice lines. I do like a pretty boat since I have to walk up to it on the dock and I don’t want to grimace every time I look at it and feel that I have a fugly boat. Having the boat manufacturer still in business is a plus. I email Formula regularly and ask questions and they respond extremely well. I would ask for records for the 1,000 hour check, they can be expensive. If not done drop the price accordingly.

I think that given the 2 boats in question I think I would go with the MS and pocket the extra money for upgrades and maintenance to bring any defects up to snuff. Then enjoy.

ommy
Only you can determine whether you can feel comfortable enough given mobility issues.
To me an aft cabin style means lots of steps to maneuver everytime you move about the boat.
My guess is either would work or neither one would be easy..
Last I knew there were 2 2008 MS 34HTs for sale on Marco Is Fl... one listed here on TF.
IMO a MS 34HT would make a great boat for a couple with any mobility issues. Only s steps separate saloon from fwd cabin, head & galley. Helm door makes handling easy for looping / locking / docking etc. EZ, wide safe walk around very safe & easy to maneuver.

Our last boat was an aft cabin sundeck style. My wife always complained about the number of steps. Our current boat only has steps down into the cabin and she comments regularly about liking the lack of steps. So in that regard the MS wins.

I know the Searay quite well. Service of the engines is difficult. It’s very hard to keep clean and not destroy the salon. Also you will quickly find out you better have everything you need. Climbing out, up stairs across the aft cabin top , down stairs will exhaust you. Just changing oils and not getting the boat stained is challenging. It is a good running boat with good sight lines . Spending time on the aft deck is a boating pleasure

Here is a link to the Sea Ray and a Mainship I'm looking at. As you can see there is a large difference in price. The Mainship broker says I'm paying for the Sea Ray name. I want to use the boat on the loop and then along the east coast. I do have mild mobility issues caused by many back surgeries. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

An apple and an orange. Big difference in interior and protected space, difference in beam, difference in weight, the Sea Ray is 5 years newer... (And I think the Mainship broker is blowing smoke about that name thing; they're both Chevies.)

And then there may be differences in previous care and maintenance, too.

If stairs are an issue, maybe neither would suit. In that case, maybe look at "down east" boats like Sabre or Eastbay or some such?

OTOH, if stairs aren't a problem.... that kind of Sea Ray would maybe give you more "liveability" (?) than that kind of Mainship. FWIW, Silverton made a 39MY that would compare to the Sea Ray. Both decent Chevies.

In the early '90s Mainship wandered away from it's "trawler" roots and made boats like that SB model. I think they also made some "motor yacht" models during that time frame, and one of those might compare more closely to the Sea Ray example, too. I think there's a Cruisers like that, too.
Maybe more that are similar. All Chevies.

For the loop, I've read many of the newer Mainship models -- after they returned to their "trawler-hood-ness" in the late '90s -- have been popular. More Chevies.

In my mind, "Chevy" isn't a bad thing. Decent value for cost.

I think I'm seeing that a newer Brand X seems to be better than an older Brand X, and also a larger Brand X seems to be better than a smaller Brand X. "Better" of course being a moving target, and very much in the eye of the beholder...

-Chris

Last edited:
Agreed about both being chevys. (not a bad thing) Having done several deliveries of both makes, IMHO Yanmars are very good engines. Not a fan of V drives. (think packing gland, coupling access) Access to the engines is better on the MS but I don't like the generator sitting under the edge of the hatch/deck.(water will drip on it)
Boarding the MS will be easier and has a bit more side deck area. (big + in a lock) The helm of the MS is very exposed and the seating will be uncomfortable after several hours on watch. The SR has a very comfy helm with A/C. (big +)

The cockpit of the MS is larger. A bimini top would make it the perfect spot for cocktails at the dock. (fishing also)

They are both good boats if they have been maintained. The choice comes down to comfort vs. price. SeaRay for comfort.( - points for mobility factor) MainShip for function and price. IMHO

Good Loop boat

Any boat you like is a good Loop boat.

That said she should be watertight and safe.

She should meet the needs to lock safely and handle at slow speeds. Presuming you are looking for a short Loop there are still times you aren't wide open throttle so slow handling is important.

You also may not want to skim the top of the waves all the time. That can get tiring.

Fuel will probably not be your largest expense.

We'll finish our 8yr Loop this yr.

Remember it isn't the destination that is the adventure.

Good luck.

I’ve been on several sisterships to both models. That model Searay is an interesting design that I found unique. Very sleek exterior and nice interior. The Mainship looks like a big runabout to me and the interior just felt like a “cheap” production boat to me on the couple I’ve been on. I strongly agree that both are really kind of “Chevy’s”.

However, good engine - (and all other systems!) access is almost at the top of my “must have” list. The Searay is terrible, and the Mainship is only slightly better (accessing anything on the forward end is terrible). It’s not just motors. Everything else is crammed into spaces under and behind interior surfaces, and access is limited. Unfortunately, service access was an afterthought of a lot of boats of this era. I ended up with a Mainship 390 with twin Yanmars for many years - and dealt with terrible access on multiple repairs. But, overlooking access issues, it is a good general design for a loop boat.

Not wanting to open the twins vs single engine debate… but if I were buying for the loop, I’d prefer a single engine with a bow thruster. But that’s just based off of the knowledge that stuff breaks on boats. And either you have to fix it, or pay a guy the hours to do so.

I’f I were only choosing between these two, I’d lean slightly towards the Mainship. The first place I look to assess how a boat has been maintained is the engine room. That Searay turned me off.

Last edited:
I chose the 390

Lisa was set on a trawler style boat. During the two years we kicked the gunwales of trawler type boats. We looked seriously at 3 Mainships and rejected them.

We loved the cockpit, the single level and the roomier engine room on Mainships in general. What we didn't like were only front staterooms, guest stateroom in close proximity, single head and in your case the bunk beds for the guest stateroom.

The Mainship example you are looking at seems more comfortable than the norm. We never saw us lounging comfortably in the Mainship's salon.

The 390 packs in a lot 39 feet, 2 good sized staterooms, two heads, a single unit washer/dryer but it has levels. I like the separation that the levels provide.

Our staterooms and heads are at the opposite ends of the boat which is very good for guests. We have had 63 days of guests and the setup worked well.

The front only stateroom often has chine slap. If you are on the hook with any water movement it is a given that you will have the slap as your boat will point into the current/wind.

The Mainship kills with the engine room. There is room to move around. In the 390 there is not much. I get bruises when I go over the top to to get to the outboard side of the engines. I don't go often but I do go to inspect and it is not fun.

The Cummins in the 390'w are spectacular engines. What few problems they are prone to have are resolved by 1,000 hours. The problems will have manifested by then or not at all. The only other problem I've heard of is the Diesel Smartcraft. They are good until they are not. Then the issue is they are no longer manufactured.

SeaRay has a number of expensive features that are not sexy so few people talk about them. One is the factory installed isolating transformer. You will never have to worry about bad dock power, ever. You will always connect with new towers that can give old boats fits. Factory installed 24 volt bow thrusters. I have a factory installed oil change system. Everytime I turn around I'm impressed with some other thoughtful factory touch.

As to handling, the 390 is not precise. It has a poor A-B ratio. That helps it go fast but it does nothing for the handling and it hurts the slow speed handling. That combined with the tiny rudders make for a busy drive at no wake speeds.

Contact me if you want to know more. I don't want to bore the rest of the forum, it has been a great boat.

Mike

You did not specify the length of the boat. Length is generally a more important consideration than engine hp in determining Loop suitablity.

pete

You did not specify the length of the boat. Length is generally a more important consideration than engine hp in determining Loop suitablity.

pete
Hint: Read thread before index finger waggling.

Last edited:
Lisa was set on a trawler style boat. During the two years we kicked the gunwales of trawler type boats. We looked seriously at 3 Mainships and rejected them.

We loved the cockpit, the single level and the roomier engine room on Mainships in general. What we didn't like were only front staterooms, guest stateroom in close proximity, single head and in your case the bunk beds for the guest stateroom.

The Mainship example you are looking at seems more comfortable than the norm. We never saw us lounging comfortably in the Mainship's salon.

The 390 packs in a lot 39 feet, 2 good sized staterooms, two heads, a single unit washer/dryer but it has levels. I like the separation that the levels provide.

Our staterooms and heads are at the opposite ends of the boat which is very good for guests. We have had 63 days of guests and the setup worked well.

The front only stateroom often has chine slap. If you are on the hook with any water movement it is a given that you will have the slap as your boat will point into the current/wind.

The Mainship kills with the engine room. There is room to move around. In the 390 there is not much. I get bruises when I go over the top to to get to the outboard side of the engines. I don't go often but I do go to inspect and it is not fun.

The Cummins in the 390'w are spectacular engines. What few problems they are prone to have are resolved by 1,000 hours. The problems will have manifested by then or not at all. The only other problem I've heard of is the Diesel Smartcraft. They are good until they are not. Then the issue is they are no longer manufactured.

SeaRay has a number of expensive features that are not sexy so few people talk about them. One is the factory installed isolating transformer. You will never have to worry about bad dock power, ever. You will always connect with new towers that can give old boats fits. Factory installed 24 volt bow thrusters. I have a factory installed oil change system. Everytime I turn around I'm impressed with some other thoughtful factory touch.

As to handling, the 390 is not precise. It has a poor A-B ratio. That helps it go fast but it does nothing for the handling and it hurts the slow speed handling. That combined with the tiny rudders make for a busy drive at no wake speeds.

Contact me if you want to know more. I don't want to bore the rest of the forum, it has been a great boat.

Mike

Hi,

Smart kraft can be replaced with this product.

https://www.sbmar.com/product/cummins-smartcraft-vesselview-403-upgrade-kit/

NBs

I have tentatively settled on a 2005 SeaRay 390 Motoryacht with Cummins 480CE engines. The boat will be finishing the Loop around the second week of June in Mamaroneck, NY.. Any suggestion on who to do the survey? I have a price of $1650 from Sound Shore Marina. I have asked what this entails but haven't received a reply.

The marina where the boat is based suggested Alcus Marine Technical. I have left a message but haven't heard back.

I'll ask the seller for a copy of the last survey.
Thanks for all the help and wisdom

Sea Ray 390

I'd be leary of the marina doing a survey.

Both SAMS & NAMS have a web site that will list the members, all accredited, who could do the survey.

Also, if you are going for a loan the lender might look more favorably on an accredited surveyor from a national organization, same for an insurance company.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom