SE Alaska Coast Guard Warning on VHF interference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This mirrors the problem NOAA has on weather radios in the same area.

They had the same issue back in 2019. They waited to repair it because of budget concerns. Sad and dangerous.

Well they still won’t admit that their broadcasting volume in district 13 has been a problem (volume, not signal, the signal comes in strong just can’t hear them). What makes you think they would address something actually complicated?

We are currently cruising SE Alaska for the winter. We transited up in July 2020. We hear a warning on CH16 every day when cruising. The Coast Guard has entered into a new contract to address repeater stations that are not working. We did upgrade our VHF Antenna's to 10db Morad Antennas (commercial antenna which you will see on almost all commercial fishing boats in SE), and at least for us, it solved the problem. Note it requires at least 2 new antennas since the 10db operates outside of the AIS frequency, so that requires a 2nd antenna, or if you want to go all in, you can get a 3rd tuned to the exact frequency of Channel 16. We now hear the warning everywhere, so we have good coverage. With a standard 6db fiberglass whip antenna (ours was 34 ft above the water), you will have areas where you are not going to be heard by the CG. Hopefully they will get all the repeater stations up and running at some point, but apparently the problems with them are not easily fixed. It's very odd to hear the CG on VHF 16 broadcasting that you should have a sat phone on board and in the case of an emergency, call them on the phone.
Enjoy,
Jim and Rosy
M/V Sea Venture

Thanks for the info. Have you noticed what weather stations are operating? We primarily use the Cape Fanshaw station in Frederick Sound and the ones that cover Chatham Strait.

Tator

Thanks for the info. Have you noticed what weather stations are operating? We primarily use the Cape Fanshaw station in Frederick Sound and the ones that cover Chatham Strait.

Tator

Tator,

Nice boat.

I think the Chatham Strait station is working fine. I don't know about Cape Fanshaw. Last I heard it still had some issues, but that was a few months ago. But, I will know soon enough, since we are getting ready to leave Wrangell and head to Juneau - if we can get a weather window that is forecasting under 30 knots. . . . We want to visit Tracy Arm in the winter, since we can not find anyone that has ever tried to get up there in the winter. Maybe we will learn why not.

If you can shoot me an email at CruisingSeaVenture@gmail.com it will help me make sure and check the Cape Fanshaw station when we cruise by.

thanks,
Jim

Share a little more on antennas? Type, length or link? Thanks

Share a little more on antennas? Type, length or link? Thanks

We did a YT video on our channel about the upgrade.
Here is a link: https://youtu.be/N7OvYfk8K-E

The video spends some time explaining what db gain is, and how different antennas may be best for different boats - ie, not one size fits all.

If that's more than you want, the antennas are from Morad Antenna's, which are based in Bellingham, WA. Following what all the fish boats up here do, we got the 10db antenna with a 6db AIS Antenna.

From Wrangell, I can now get the weather on 4 of the 10 channels at any one time. Also, we have talked with boats north of Petersburg and south to Anan, about 35 miles away without any problem.

Otherwise, happy to answer any questions.
Thanks,
Jim

Good antennas matter, as does good cable to those antennas. And more antenna height will always buy you more range.

Back
Top Bottom