Safety course recommendations for S.F. bay area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skippy jack

Vessel Name
Eva D.
Vessel Make
Skipjack / Fisherman 25
Hi, I'm laying the ground work for a larger vessel, 35' to 40'. I live about 2 hrs. from bay and i would like to take at least one boater safety course. I'am looking for some feed back from the community, something someone has taken and found helpful. Or the course that everyone kinda considers the gold standard.
Reason for courses is both for my education and safety. Other reason is to make me more desirable to insurance company's. So it is important that it be a course favored by the underwriters.

Everyone here has been a tremendous help thank in advance.

Brian

Don't know if there's a Gold Standard, but the course from Boat US is more than adequate for a start, and quite comprehensive. Used to be free, don't know if it still it, but most of them are only around $25.

Take one from the CG Aux or Power Squadron. Take the classroom version not just the online one, that way you can ask questions and learn more. Consider joining one organization so you can take some more advanced courses. We used to get a pretty hefty discount for being members of the Aux. Don’t know if there are still discounts or not since we retired 5 years ago. I would talk to an insurance broker and get their recommendations. I use Peter Ricks at Novamar. He is outstanding. 206-350-5051

Been on the cg aux site. Looks like there are a few options that are not to far away. I definitely get more from a course if i do it in person. Should be a good experience, at the least time well spent.

Do you know many states require some sort of boating safety certificate to operate in that state?

"Do you need the boater Boater Card?
As of January 1, 2023, all boaters 50 years of age or younger will be required to carry the Boater Card. All boaters regardless of age will be required to obtain the card by 2025."

https://www.boat-ed.com/california/...oating safety course&utm_content=Exact_Safety

Make sure the course you take satisfies CA, and if you plant to boat elsewhere...it meets those states too.

Last edited:
Not sure where you live but in addition to taking the course you might consider joining the Auxiliary. Then become Boat Crew certified. That would be a solid background.

I will recommend the Power Squadron too. In addition to the basic boater safety course they offer free safety inspections for your boat as well as piloting training. They have a "Partner in Command" program too which is good for the first mate (wife) who can sometimes learn better from someone not her husband.

Yeah, it'll cost a couple hundred to join but hey, that's cheap in the marine world eh?

We are in the bay and had excellent training, both classroom and practical with club Nautique. We’re members for a few years. Not cheap but excellent in my and wife’s opinion.

I will recommend the Power Squadron too. In addition to the basic boater safety course they offer free safety inspections for your boat as well as piloting training. They have a "Partner in Command" program too which is good for the first mate (wife) who can sometimes learn better from someone not her husband.

Yeah, it'll cost a couple hundred to join but hey, that's cheap in the marine world eh?

+1
When we started boating 30+ yrs ago we took the USPS-now ABC course and joined USPS.
at least at that time, BoatvUS insurance gave discount for USPS course and for being a member.

ABC has a pretty extensive list of course & seminars and many chapters offer some on the water portions of training.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what your budget is, but we used Anthony Capriccio for some lessons on our boat shortly after we purchased it. https://www.pac2captainservices.com/

We did a two day class. He got all of us used to handling the vessel. All four of us (mom, dad, 15yo, and 12yo) can now dock the boat bow or stern in.

Do you know many states require some sort of boating safety certificate to operate in that state?

"Do you need the boater Boater Card?
As of January 1, 2023, all boaters 50 years of age or younger will be required to carry the Boater Card. All boaters regardless of age will be required to obtain the card by 2025."

https://www.boat-ed.com/california/...oating safety course&utm_content=Exact_Safety

Make sure the course you take satisfies CA, and if you plant to boat elsewhere...it meets those states too.

Really should be mandatory for anyone one operating a PWC. I won't get started on that.

Been some really good suggestions on here, some i wasn't aware of.
I'm leaning towards some of the courses by the CG Aux. I just missed one close to me, there are a few though out the year. Some up in Oregon as well, also going to look into the aux. program as well.

I'am fifty in may so I'm by law supposed to have boater card now. I haven't been asked for this by anyone yet. I'm sure it's coming. Most of my boating is in less populated areas, don't see much in way of any enforcement.

Like many things in life, if you get a chance, check around for the better courses if there are choices in your area.

Even though the material may be exactly the same, the hit and miss nature of the instructor in terms of experience, energy and teaching ability varies greatly.

I also had many friends that have taken both on line and in person courses (some places require the test be taken under supervision - not on line), but the full 8 hr course in person they felt was worth the money as they felt they learned much more. That could be because many people learn a bit differently.

Back
Top Bottom