A sad day for me ..........until it wasnt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simi 60

Guru
Vessel Make
Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Well, a major stumbling block has been removed and a big part of our lives will soon be gone.
Our half built 50+ ft powercat is sold
Full ask paid, funds are in the bank and cleared

A sad day in the realisation that the long held dream for a light, long and low powered cat never came to fruition for us.
3 years wasted.

But the upside was instead of 3 years more of crippling work, frustrations and bucket loads of money, we did get several years of life back by grabbing the big girl we have now, getting out here and living the same same but different dream with sanity intact and for that I am grateful.

And also grateful that my ultimate nightmare of cutting her up to be rid of her never eventuated.

Well wishes to her new owner, he has dreams of converting her to a full solar/electric power cat like the Silent 55 but without the $3 million+ price tag

Attachments

• IMG_20200831_053836~01~01.jpg
    IMG_20200831_053836~01~01.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 152
Well, that both sucks and is a somewhat happy ending. Cheers?

Last edited:
That’s a lot of boat to move somehow

This was the dream if I'm not mistaken:

Current build 50ft x 24ft epoxy/kiri powercat designed for 2
Engines 2 x 65hp cummins
Disp: 8500kg DWL full load
Empty: 4700 approx
Estimated cruise 8 knots @ 1L/nm
Estimated max speed 14 knots
Range approx 2200nm @ 8 knots @ 1L/nm

Not all dreams are realized. Sounds like your plan B isn't all that bad :)

Congratulations.

Hard to leave an unfinished project behind, but this one seems like a win for everyone.
Good call to move on and enjoy the great boat you have. Hopefully the buyer has the energy, time and resources to see it through and enjoy it.

Simi:

Wow, I can see the dream in that photo.

I imagine that when you made the decision to give up the dream project, it was a very difficult decision. Especially with the project half way there.

Getting out with finances intact is a monumental win, especially in the custom-boat realm. I'm wondering if there are any lessons learned that you might be willing to share.

Here's To Sanity,
Mrs. Trombley

If it is not too painful I would love to hear more of the origin story. Did you build the hull to this point?

This was the dream if I'm not mistaken:
Yep
14 was ambitious imho but the guys who do the props ran the numbers on their program and that's what it said.
8 @ cruise and 12 on the fly on a flat day was my thinking.

Always when I dream to the "next" boat my wife make a citation of Saint Augustin :
"le bonheur c'est désirer ce que l'on possède déjà"

If it is not too painful I would love to hear more of the origin story. Did you build the hull to this point?

Started with a pile of numbers on a sheet of paper, a "Table of offsets" then lofted the numbers onto a loft floor, ran battens around to get a fair hull shape at that position, transfered them to mylar patterns and made a frame for each hull section.

Then lots of timber strips,glue, epoxy, glass, torment. ;)

"le bonheur c'est désirer ce que l'on possède déjà"

Happiness is wanting what you already have - is that close enough?

Yes, no, maybe
Life changes - needs change - shite happens - and then we die.
Sad but true.

Simi:

Wow, I can see the dream in that photo.

I imagine that when you made the decision to give up the dream project, it was a very difficult decision. Especially with the project half way there.

Getting out with finances intact is a monumental win, especially in the custom-boat realm. I'm wondering if there are any lessons learned that you might be willing to share.

Here's To Sanity,
Mrs. Trombley

A haiku of sorts

There is a story there
Have typed it up
Not sure if willing to share yet
Rum
;)

I personally know the location of three "dreams" which will never be finished. I talked to the owner of one of them and he said it was not for sale. He keeps it next to his house to remind himself of how stupid he really is. (The design was just plain bad, steel built, too heavy to actually float)

Dreams come and dreams go..

pete

Greetings,
Mr. S. I've taken on the odd project that lived to well past it's "best before" date but I've ALWAYS taken away things I've learned and have served me in good stead. Regret is seldom one of them.

Next door neighbour has a small plaque on his outdoor coffee table."The cure for everything is salt water".

Sorry to hear your dream had to come to an end, but the consolation isn't that bad.... ;)

To not dream and act on at least on some dreams = To be bored!

Congrats on all phases you went through... much including the SALE!

Started with a pile of numbers on a sheet of paper, a "Table of offsets" then lofted the numbers onto a loft floor, ran battens around to get a fair hull shape at that position, transfered them to mylar patterns and made a frame for each hull section.

Then lots of timber strips,glue, epoxy, glass, torment. ;)
Good,on balance, to be out of it. Especially when you have a boat which fulfills your requirements so well.
Your design process greatly exceeds the Sydney Harbour Rivercat, reportedly designed on the back of an envelope in the Transport Minister`s office,one afternoon, after lunch.

We have "Kitty Cats" now, likely from the same Sydney design office, that replaced the old wooden cross-river ferries that were deemed unsafe, or uneconomic to maintain, or something. Whilst our larger "City Cats" slow to 10 kn going past my marina to avoid unreasonable wakes, the smaller Kitty Cats need to slow to 6kn and probably still make a greater wake. Absolute monstrosities they are!

I'll leave it to Simi to tell more of his story when or if he wishes, but like a lot of things in life unexpected global events played a role I think. The 2007-2008 GFC led to many people needing to tighten their belts. With time, nice-to-have assets like holiday cottages and boats came onto the market en masse. I can't recall exact timing, but certainly by around 2010 boat prices had tanked as there were huge numbers of boats on the market. About then, or not long after, I remember Simi posting (different forum and UserID) that it was now going to be cheaper to buy a used boat than to finish his cat. I don't recall how long his search was, but I seem to recall at some stage some USA boats catching his eye at least. We had a big FX advantage at that time, which I availed myself of, but shipping etc was quite a chunk of change. I might start another thread on my boat import journey rather than derails Simi's cat story.

Once upon a time there was a cat profile pic as an avatar that looked sweet. What would be also nice would be if the new owner was to join TF and share the next chapter. Many will remember Hendo's cray boat re-build thread. Very unfortunate ending, but the re-build benfitted enormously from the insights of TF members.

Last edited:
Many will remember Hendo's cray boat re-build thread. Very unfortunate ending, but the re-build benefitted enormously from the insights of TF members.

I well recall Hendo! Would love to see the cray he came so far along on. Would be great to learn where it is... its use... further build-on... etc.

Okay, have had a dozen attempts at this
Trying to shorten the story, cut out details
Still pretty raw - hate to admit FAIL

I'll leave it to Simi to tell more of his story when or if he wishes, but like a lot of things in life unexpected global events played a role I think. The 2007-2008 GFC led to many people needing to tighten their belts. With time, nice-to-have assets like holiday cottages and boats came onto the market en masse. I can't recall exact timing, but certainly by around 2010 boat prices had tanked as there were huge numbers of boats on the market. About then, or not long after, I remember Simi posting (different forum and UserID) that it was now going to be cheaper to buy a used boat than to finish his cat. I don't recall how long his search was, but I seem to recall at some stage some USA boats catching his eye at least. .

It was pretty much lie to myself to build a boat "not much bigger" than the prior build and go hard at it full time. Full time being 7am to 6pm 6 days a week, sometimes if a big glassing run on, until 3am keeping the chemical window going.
Turned out there's as much material in one hull than the entire 10m cat we built before.

To provide income after boat was eventually launched and partner retired, in my "spare time" I used her income getting us into debt, buying houses, subdividing land, moving houses, building more houses and renting them out all several hundreds of miles from home and living in a car on site for a lot of that time getting it done.

Burning the candle from both ends with a flame thrower
Putting myself in hospital with double hernia and burnout.
GFC hit, got through the GFC bruised but intact - banks tried to sell us up but we somehow held on
But, left me mentally and physically whipped - not quite the blubbering mess
Unable to get back into the boatbuilding - couldn't even look at it.

Partner wasn't much better.
Next several years spent using up her accrued time off in llew of pay, accrued holiday pay and long service leave allowing us to spend 3 months every year in South East Asia finding a place to retire to and checking out boat building yards.

Then my partner had both her parents die a few months apart - then she was made redundant - the straw that broke the camels back for her.
Current boat appeared at same time, bought her for a lot less than cost of finishing backyard boat,
Planned on taking her to Thailand for the big cosmetic tart up
Moved aboard, locked up house, ran away in an attempt to regain sanity.
Due to loss of "JOB" Banks tried to force us to sell again and again they failed
Covid came, SEA adventure on hold
Staying out here waiting for the zombie apocalypse
And I got my girl back, sanity restored for both of us

A busy end to last year and start of this year
A mate came back from a long stint overseas, needed a place to stay, we had an empty house he just needed to clear it out - keep what you want and bin the rest.
Got a job, now paying cheap rent, he bought my motorcycle and plans on staying indefinitely.
Several rental houses sold , our choice of timing and the rest are now debt free - no more Banks
Now backyard boat sold

Not much holding us back now so heading south now for a set of stabiliser arms, a bit of work on boat before heading north again with no fixed destination.
If the stabilisers work and we make it to Darwin we may as well keep going to Indonesia.

If we don't make it the old girl will likely be sold and we'll set up base in a private pool villa somewhere in South East Asia for the next round of adventure.

And now that poison is out of my system........

Simi - Damn Man and Girl. Good luck!!!

Just one

Okay, have had a dozen attempts at this
HS, but you asking about stabilizer, I don't remember you had some "problem" with your boat on the threat concerning stab ?
We have also "problem" they put expansive good quality thing ...except for the stab where they put the "worst" VETUS.
To fit different one (totally) for example Wesmar it is now around 70000€, or witch one who work on Magnus effect similar price.
Note in 2005 I had quotation from same company 26000€ for a complete installation now 70000€ but we have already all hydraulic equipment...
Price became crazy !:eek::facepalm:
Only one way : upgrade the "brain",with DMS it will cost "only" 17000€.
We will see.

Last edited:
Simi:

Burned out. But held on.

Really well-written!

Thank you,
Mrs. Trombley

On Monday the trucks and crane arrives
I am several hundred miles north while it happens
Have to say, that hull shape is incredible

Regrets.....I've had a few

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-23-18-08-08-386_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-23-18-08-08-386_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 55
I'm sure you took a financial beating on the deal but you were actually lucky to unload it at all. An unfinished project dream can be a tough sell.

pete

I'm sure you took a financial beating on the deal but you were actually lucky to unload it at all. An unfinished project dream can be a tough sell.

pete

Got my materials costs back
But not the 3 years I put in
But got those 3 years back by being on our current vessel now vs finishing the build
And bought our current vessel for less coin than the cat would have cost to finish.
So pretty much a win.

Back
Top Bottom