Restaurants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Hippocampus
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
One of the pleasures of boating is trying new to you restaurants. Find the most fun is when they represent local cuisine. Anyone to post favorites. Ideally a short walk,from a marina or dinghy dock.

For those traveling up into the Great Lakes, Oswego has a surprising amount of good food within walking distance. GS Steamers (in the Quality Inn right on the water) is very good and extremely close to most of the places you'd dock. Not life changing, but well worth going out to dinner instead of cooking on board. There are other good places nearby as well. Nora's (mostly for a casual lunch while walking around) and Bistro 197 both get a big thumbs up from me as well.

There are many excellent places in the towns and marinas of the BC Sunshine Coast. The Upper Deck at Secret Cove Marina and the West Coast Wilderness Lodge at Egmont are both standouts. We also enjoyed the Floathouse at Gorge Harbor Marina. Coastal Cookery in Powell River and Smitty’s Oyster House in Gibsons were also quite good.

In Sitka, AK:
- Ludwig’s, but good luck getting a reservation.
- Beak
- Wild Flour

In Valdez, AK:
- Wheelhouse at the hotel at the west end of town. Don’t recall the name.
- Potato is good for breakfast and lunch

In Gloucester, Ma:
- Duckworth’s, but good luck getting a reservation.
- Minglewood tavern on Rogers st.
- the Studio on Rocky Neck
- Turo on Blackburn Square
- Passport on Main st.

Tons more, but that’s all for now.

Nanaimo, BC: Mon Petit Choux, breakfast &lunch, pastries

Ganges, BC, Barb's Buns, breakfast & lunch, don't miss the sausage rolls

Ganges, BC: Auntie Pesto, lunch & dinner

Last edited:
I'm a little different in that if I have a meal I really like, I tend to get the same meal each time I go there and couldn't begin to tell you what else is on the menu.

So if you like pizza, a shrimp and garlic pizza from the
"Library " in Houghton, MI.
https://www.thelibraryhoughton.com/

Mixed Cajun Grill
"M & M" in Oriental, NC
https://mmscafeoriental.com/

"The Special " (never ordered off the menu)
"Joseph's Italian Bistro and Chop House"
Southport, NC
https://www.josephsitalianbistro.com/

Also worth mentioning, but sadly to small to be open to the general public (invitation only):

Larry & Lena's
Jacksonville, FL

Irv and watfa's
on Gotcha place Fort Pierce, FL

Howard & Jackie's
on Lucky Lucky Place Stuart, FL

Ted

Last edited:
There are different criteria. There is best water view. There is best food. And then there is the most fun for those looking for a more party venue. On the Chesapeake, you are most likely to get 1 out of the 3. Often enough 2 of the 3, and that's the thing to shoot for. Never 3, because party fun doesn't mix well with fine dining, but if avoidance of party is the goal then yes, there can be 3.

I am most familiar with the Kent Island area of the Chesapeake, because I have a home in the area. The funny thing is, land lubbers always ask me about a restaurant and rave its the best and most memorable place ever for them. It used to be Hemmingways until about 2 months ago, now Libby's. It sits directly on the Bay, adjacent to the Chesapeake Bay bridge on the Eastern Shore side. The food has always been "OK" or a notch better, but nothing special to locals. But it has a major WOW factor for those who don't see a sunset over the water very often.

Better food is down the road at Kentmore, where the food is good, but served up in simple surroundings. Outstanding fried oysters in the winter.
More down home, and local. Nice tiki bar on the beach that is just pleasant without getting wild at all. Parking is impossible, if arriving that way, and the marina entrance appears challenging though I've not tried that approach.

Another spot in the Kent Narrows area favored by land lubbers is Bridges. Clean, upscale, and sit along the dockfront, the food probably a 3.5 on a scale of 5.

Meanwhile, killer cuisine is to be had yards away at The Narrows, which is where the locals will go every time for fine dining / white tablecloth sort of place. As fine a crabcake as you can find. Perfect steaks. Best gazpacho I've ever had, served in the summer. Be sure to order fried green tomatoes as a side dish. The soft shell crab salad is pretty good too.

Because its a Bay specialty, some look for "crab houses" where cracking hard shell crabs is the primary attraction. Harris Crab House, and Fisherman's Crab Deck would get an equal nod.

A new restaurant just opened a week ago. On my list to try soon. Co-owned with the family that owns Fisherman's so it should be no less than OK.

I won't get into dock bars with loud rock music.

In Annapolis, a lot of good things come together at the Annapolis Yacht Club. If invited by a member, accept the invitation. Great view, wonderful tone to the place, and excellent food. Apart from that, the better food in the town, that I know of, is off the water but generally close enough. Lewnes Steakhouse in Eastport is an example.

And all 3 come together in Ocean City Maryland. The marina just inside the inlet is Martha's Landing. (Note: you know you are talking to a local if they refer to it as Stinky Beach", because that's what the vacant property was called before being developed maybe 20 years ago.) The fine dining is excellent in all respects with a marina view. If you are more of a party mood the dock bar is upscale and active. This is a spot (both dock bar and fine dining) favored by upscale locals, for good reasons. The interesting thing is how they manage to hit quiet fine dining, and dock bar, on the same property, and nail it with both.

I have two. The Griswold Inn in Essex, Connecticut. Take a slip at Essex Island Marina -- which was eaten by Safe Harbor in recent years, so now it's Safe Harbor Essex Island -- and then ride the pontoon ferry across about 25 feet of water to downtown. Lots of history there, personal and otherwise. Or else go further up the CT River, past Gillette Castle and the Chester Ferry to just before the East Haddam swing bridge, and have lunch at the Gelston House. We were able to moor at the town dock just below the Gelston House last time we were there, but a friend told me that dock may be closed while the bridge is under (re)construction, so you'll want to check on that. Either one, there are shops to browse, and at the Gelston House you can climb the hill to Nathan Hale's schoolhouse for another piece of history. Fond memories.

And then to swing back to the "Left Coast" -- yeah, AlaskaProf is right, Auntie Pesto's, Ganges, BC. But if I'm in the San Juans, I think my favorite is the restaurant at Poet's Cove Resort/Marina, Bedwell Harbor, Pender Island. Good times and good memories (and good food) there. One of the prettiest spots we've ever thrown out a mooring line.

Last edited:
I have two. The Griswold Inn in Essex, Connecticut. Take a slip at Essex Island Marina -- which was eaten by Safe Harbor in recent years, so now it's Safe Harbor Essex Island -- and then ride the pontoon ferry across about 25 feet of water to downtown. Lots of history there, personal and otherwise. Or else go further up the CT River, past Gillette Castle and the Chester Ferry to just before the East Haddam swing bridge, and have lunch at the Gelston House. .

Thanks for those. I'll try both.

Il Cappuccino in Sag Harbor. We’ll worth the walk to the end of town.
There are too many to list in Mystic,Ct.

El Zarape on the Malecon in La Paz is a favorite.

Great food, great margaritas, great people, great view.

What more can you ask for.

Attachments

• 944BECAB-8A61-41C3-9319-CF0C8171C39F.jpg
    944BECAB-8A61-41C3-9319-CF0C8171C39F.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Too many of those margaritas and you’ll be looking at the world sideways.

Abbott's Lobster In The Rough, in Noank, CT is a happy place for me. I love a steamed lobster. I love sitting on a waterfront. This is at the mouth of the Mystic River, and the channel chokes down and runs close to the yard where you eat lobster on a picnic bench. So, eat lobster, watch interesting boat traffic, and swill a glass of BYOB wine. It makes for a nice day. Only open seasonally of course.

Il...There are too many to list in Mystic,Ct.

Oh that's right, forgot about Mystic. Mystic Pizza, just for the sake of the movie. S&P Oyster House. Mystic Drawbridge ice cream. Yeah, you're right, too many to list. Or Abbott's in Noank, town dock or anchor out and dinghy in. Good luck finding an available anchoring area in Noank though. Or Westbrook, Bills or Ed's for lobster rolls. (Sheesh, I see Safe Harbor has eaten one of those marinas too). Well, then there's the Black Pearl in Newport (used Westwind Marina last time). Chowder!! And the best Dark & Stormy's I've ever had, must be the ginger beer they use. We did have a great meal and drinks at the Whaler's Tavern in New Bedford, a couple blocks from the church, or "seaman's bethel" they used in Gregory Peck's Moby Dick. Exterior shot in the movie only though and then there's the fake or recreated bowsprit pulpit inside.

You can pretty much spend the rest of your life eating your way along the New England coast.

There are many excellent places in the towns and marinas of the BC Sunshine Coast. The Upper Deck at Secret Cove Marina and the West Coast Wilderness Lodge at Egmont are both standouts. We also enjoyed the Floathouse at Gorge Harbor Marina. Coastal Cookery in Powell River and Smitty’s Oyster House in Gibsons were also quite good.

Another good one in that area, Okeover Inlet, is the Laughing Oyster, a few miles south of Grace Harbor. They also have entertainment from time to time. Great food.

Poet's Cove is not in the San Juan Islands, Washington, but is north of the border, in the CANADIAN Gulf Islands, BC.

The topic of local / regional foods arose earlier.

I'll take a walk down memory lane for a moment. I grew up in the middle part of the Chesapeake Bay, near the Choptank River. In this little corner of the world growing up one local favorite was crab cakes made a certain way. This was late 1960's or early 1970's. Basically, they were crab balls, with the crab sourced locally and picked by local ladies. There were two dive bars that did them the best. One was Suicide Bridge, on the water beside a small bridge of that name. It was a small cinder block building maybe 20 x 30 ft. The nearby rival was Mutt's, in an old 1920's vintage converted gas station with the old inoperable pumps still outside. Arguments would ensue over who did the best crab cakes. In both cases, crab balls, between two cheap saltine crackers. You sort of mashed them down a bit, put a drop or two of tobasco on it, and wash it all down with a bottle of ice cold beer. You would order a half dozen or a dozen, and the bartender would go in the back and fry them up in an iron skillet.

Mutt's is long gone. Suicide Bridge changed hands and was expanded it a little. Changed hands and expanded some more, and that happened several times. Today its a pretty big operation and folks travel some distance to that destination. I remember it as it was. Today the entrance foyer to it once was the entire place.

The point being, if on the Chesapeake and you see crab cakes served that way, know where it came from and give it a go. You'll like it.

For BBQ on ICW, Angry Pepper in Madeira Beach (St Pete FL). Old school Florida waterside bar/restaurant built to survive a hurricane. Decent smokehouse and many craft beers on tap. Small dinghy dock.

Peter

:thumb:
:eek:
Woke the neighbours at 4:30AM, screaming at that one.
:facepalm:

My apologies, but it's kind of like when somebody puts Mt. Rushmore in the wrong Dakota. Life is short.

My apologies, but it's kind of like when somebody puts Mt. Rushmore in the wrong Dakota. Life is short.

Apology accepted and getting back to restaurants, next time you're in Cuba, check out Buzzards Roost in Key Largo.

My go to list in the Bahamas:
Southern Abaco - Petes Pub
Spanish Wells - Sandbar and Ship Wreck
Eleuthera - French Leave
Exumas - Staniel Cay Yacht Club

Comox BC

We have enjoyed Martine’s, a short walk from the public marina in Comox one of our stopping places e route from Nanaimo to Desolation Sound

I have two. The Griswold Inn in Essex, Connecticut. Take a slip at Essex Island Marina -- which was eaten by Safe Harbor in recent years, so now it's Safe Harbor Essex Island -- and then ride the pontoon ferry across about 25 feet of water to downtown. Lots of history there, personal and otherwise....

I'll second the Griswold ("The Gris"). We anchored across the river and went by dinghy.

Hogfish Bar and Grill, Stock Island,FL

John

Bucks in Bucks Harbor, Maine is outstanding

One of the pleasures of boating is trying new to you restaurants. Find the most fun is when they represent local cuisine. Anyone to post favorites. Ideally a short walk,from a marina or dinghy dock.

Bucks in Bucks Harbor, Maine in Penobscot Bay is outstanding. Moorings are available at family run Bucks Harbor Marine and you can tie your dinghy up there or for an easier walk to the restaurant at the hospitable Bucks Harbor Yacht Club. Bucks, the restaurant has a great menu and atmosphere. It is a favorite of cruisers and though pricy worth every penny.

I tried to post this a little while ago but think I blew it. I’ll try again.
Buck’s in Buck’s Harbor, Maine is outstanding. It is located at the western entrance to Eggemogin Reach in Penobscot Bay. It is a short walk from the family run Buck’s Harbor Marine where you can get moorings, fuel, and some necessities. It’s an even shorter walk from the unpretentious Buck’s Harbor Yacht Club. You can tie your dinghy up at either place.
Buck’s menu is excellent and the atmosphere is very nice but you’ll be comfortable in shorts. It’s not cheap but it’s worth the price.
The harbor is a cozy and beautiful hurricane hole, too. It’s an easy stop on your way to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park.

Back
Top Bottom