Rare Electrical alternators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve1

Veteran Member
HI - Anyone have experience with Rare Electrical alternators? I am thinking of buying one as a spare and wondering about quality, etc.

Thanks

From their website:

PRODUCT NOTICE:
As a parts distributor we mostly sell aftermarket parts (any OEM parts would be noted as such). Aftermarket parts are not sourced from the original vehicle or equipment manufacturer, but are designed to function the same as - if not better than - the original. All parts sold are new.

Sounds like cheap Chinese knockoff to me. My luck has been very poor with this type of alternator. As a spare, you won't likely have a warranty by the time you install it, and you will need it to work because yours is dead.

If it was me, I would either buy a quality alternator or install this one and keep the working one as a spare.

Ted

Thanks Ted,

Other than Balmar, what brands of alternators are known for quality?

A previous boat had a Powerline 100 amp alternator still going strong after 18 years. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. See here.

Thanks Ted,

Balmar doesn't make alternator, they buy them from reputable manufacturers.

What engine manufacturer do you have in your boat?

Ted

What size alternator, internal or externally regulated and what brand? As a spare, a plug-n-play is the way to go.

I have Volvo TAMD40A engines. The original alternators are 50 amp, internally regulated

A search for name brand alternators didn't return any easy replacements other than maybe Balmar. The other possible option other buying OEM new, would be to buy OEM remanufactured.

My major nock against the Chinese junk alternators is their short brush life. IMO, the brush life is designed to only slightly exceed the warranty period.

Ted

Thanks Ted,

Delco, Leece Neville are two good mfgrs. Of course fitting may be a problem depending upon your engine.

Both can be modified for the use of an external regulator. I use Delco and have modified my own for external regulators but if you are not comfortable doing that most shops can do it for you.

Whose alternator is currently installed on your engine? Have you checked to see if a more powerfull unit can be installed and modified?

As far as RARE I have never even heard of them.

I don't think you can get away from Chinese workmanship. Recently I had a Delco alternator, purchased from Cummins, go out after one year. I installed the spare Delco on the boat, per the PO, also purchased from Cummins and it didn't work.

Cummins told me the alternator had been discontinued and if they could find one it would be $599 plus shipping. The parts guy was not confident there were any in the Cummins system.

I took the brand new bad one and the one year old bad one to an alternator/starter shop. They worked their magic and 3 days later, two uber rides and $137 plus tax I had both of them ready to go.

Long happy story to suggest your local starter shop.

Mike

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom